Cattail trails

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Outdoor814
500 Club

Re: Cattail trails

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:44 am

I do use the icons to mark beds rubs scrapes and trails. I just wish there was a feature that would draw lines where I've walked.

Joe™
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:13 am

Hunt stand is a cool app good aerial clearity shows property lines and some other useful things but for information recording tracks and other stuff I use Gaia can't beat it for the things u can do with it in my opinion.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:37 am

Thanx guys. Dan's gun hunting video is what got this all going. I've cyber scouted a few marshes with very large areas of just cats. Some are trailess. Others are full of them. I guarantee the greener spots aren't dogwood or other brush. When you go back to an earlier pic from the fall. Everything is brown. I have seen areas where the cats are knocked down. With lots of trails around and in and out of them. I figured these were the beds.

As far as movement. Do the bucks tend to move earlier from theses beds? Since there's no feed right there. Plus since it's so secure for them.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:59 am

In the below pic the green strip is a deer trail with slightly higher elevation of cattails interspersed with grass and stuff. The deer trails above and below in the brown cattails have very little if any vegetation change. They don't bed on this trail, but in spots they could due to the higher elevation.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:05 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:In the below pic the green strip is a deer trail with slightly higher elevation of cattails interspersed with grass and stuff. The deer trails above and below in the brown cattails have very little if any vegetation change. They don't bed on this trail, but in spots they could due to the higher elevation.

So is there bedding in that spiderwebbed trail area below the green trail? If not what's the attraction? Is there something they feed on in that area? Gotta be some reason why so many well defined trails are all together. In a spot like that.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:54 am

This trail connects a larger bedding area to the mainland. I'm not sure about the spiderweb area just below the main trail....I should check it out
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:10 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:This trail connects a larger bedding area to the mainland. I'm not sure about the spiderweb area just below the main trail....I should check it out

I've noticed this alot in the larger cattail areas that do have trails. The ones that are far from high ground and clearly have no brush either. If there actually is some brush it has to be small. You probably won't know it's there until you step foot in it.

One area I'm looking at is around 500 acres with what looks like only cattails. But it's full of trails. With many of the concentrated spiderwebbed areas. Will probably take years to scout. Especially if the water/muck is deep. But with all of the trails it might not be quite as bad as I'm guessing it would.
Clink

Unread postby Clink » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:27 am

Thanks for this post. Connected some dots for me as well. This is the kind of terrain I'm dealing with in the marsh. Endless cattail trails with higher points of vegetation and then, of course transition lines to the woods.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:40 am

[quote="Outdoor814"]I do use the icons to mark beds rubs scrapes and trails. I just wish there was a feature that would draw lines where I've walked.

[/Imagehere is a handy app i use where u can draw what you want or it will log where you walk. Use diffrent colors Make waypoint on your trials or put waypoints where you want all in diffrent colors or pins or dots or other markers Keeps coordinates. It can even write notes for each waypoint or trail. Which is handy cause i make beds rubs scrapes trails all the good stuff. You can use it in cal topo at 7.5 ft elevation or switch it to aerial view. U can use it from LTE phone signal or all the way down to one bar at 1x signal on your phone and still be accurate. Only two down falls that i can tell,1. if you loss total signal it just draws a strait line till you get signal back. 2. You can zoom in good but not real close thats extra charge for that option but i think it works fine for while im in the woods. I really like it for scouting!! 4 1/2 stars from me. I phone only though. I think.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”