The Mentored Hunt!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

The Mentored Hunt!

Unread postby PredatorTC » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:21 am

Hunting with my girlfriend’s brother Nick during the late season has been a blast. Nick is a 14 year old young man that lives with two girls. His mom and his sister. Nick not having a father struck me hard and I immediately wanted to get him into hunting. So I got him set up with a mission menace this past September. He was pumped and enjoyed shooting tournaments and just targets. I told him keep shooting and if you keep hitting well we will get you in hunter safety and get you a deer next year. He was hitting a soda can at 15 yards no problem. Then one day someone brought to my attention the mentor program. Nick and I were both excited!! We were gonna try and get him his first deer this winter. So after gun hunting I put out some corn in a few places. (I know many frown upon bait, but I wanted him to get a standing calm shot) We sat for a few days without seeing a deer. Then finally we had his first deer come in. The doe came and stood and ate at the corn. I had the camera running. I looked down at his legs as he waited to pull back and I could see them shaking back and forth like crazy. The doe turned her head away and he pulled back and let it fly. His arrow went a tid bit high just above the spine and took a little meat and hair. He knew he missed but looked up with me with a huge smile and said, “Holy crap!! That’s the rush feeling you were telling me about and that was awesome!” He was hooked! SO two days later I picked him up at school and we ran out to the swamp. Right off the bat we had a doe come in and wind us. We were both disappointed and figured the night was over. Then right at the end I looked up and saw 5 deer coming straight at us. I whispered nick and told him to get ready. With ten eyeballs all within 20 yards of us I knew it would be hard to pull back. A couple of them were on edge and it took 5 minutes before he could even get his bow back. Finally he got his bow back and just as he did the biggest one turned broadside at ten yards. He let the arrow fly and hit the mark. The shot looked kind of far back at first but ended up being a single lung shot. She ran 200 yards and piled up. We gave her some time and when nick found her he was thrilled!! This was an exciting hunt for both Nick and I. I was extremely happy for him and for any other mentors or fathers out there I think you all know what a great feeling it is to see someone get there first deer.
I got it all on film and to be honest my heart was beating harder when he shot his doe than when I shot my buck. Listen, you will hear we were both out of breath. Here is a link to the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBpkb2thmwU

DropTyne
500 Club

Re: The Mentored Hunt!

Unread postby DropTyne » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:06 am

Wow! That is awesome! I had a similar experience this year, my best friend is 27 years old and has never shot a buck before. After I got my buck I knew of a spot that was consistantly being visited by this small eight pointer. I got him all set up and he shot the buck! He was so excited I had to help him out of his treestand, he was jumping around like a little kid on Christmas, telling me how it was like a hunting video and such! What a great feeling for both him and I......

Great Job TC!
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:09 am

Great job Predator and congrats to Nick. Firsts deer experiances can happen all over again when you are with someone getting their first.

What a rush, eh? 8-)
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:14 am

you gotta love that Predator. that is more exhilarating than getting one your self. sharing that feeling of exitment it awesome. good for you and Nick. im sure one day Nick will be doing for some kid what you did for him.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:31 am

aweomse job! what a cool story..nick will never forget that i hunt as long as he lives
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:38 am

Awesome story! Nothing better than getting kids involved in the outdoors, and kudos to you for helping him out!

I found out this past fall exactly what you mean when you say you were just as excited as him..This was my girlfriends first year hunting too, and the first time we had some does heading towards us, my heart was pounding like it was my first deer too!

Congrats again to you and Nick!
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:43 am

That is good buck karma there... you will be rewarded for your efforts!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:01 am

Awesome story!
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:48 am

good job!

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:33 am

This out of the blind you just set up?

Nice, congrats to you two.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:51 am

A huge part of what its all about right there!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:52 am

Great job PredatorTC helping Nick get his first deer.
I think you created a hunter for life and he will never forget this hunt.
Congrats to both of you! :D
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:07 pm

Great Story with a great ending. Way to get him hooked, Joe! 8-)
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:20 pm

You got another guy hooked on the adrenaline rush 8-) . Way to go
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:55 pm

That's a great thing you did Predator!
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”