how many shoot sitting down?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matlocc

how many shoot sitting down?

Unread postby matlocc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:04 am

I prefer to stand but watching Dan's videos, it is hard to tell if he stands or sits when he shoots. What do you guys do?

Mibowfreak
500 Club

Re: how many shoot sitting down?

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:20 am

I have shot deer standing and sitting. Just all depends on the setup for me.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:21 am

What ever I have to do at the moment. I've killed a deer standing on the seat of my treestand.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 am

I prefer to be standing, because it's easier/quieter to shift & pivot if needed. But I practice sitting also.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:44 am

I prefer to be standing. But sometimes you get caught sitting, or you need to cause of a certain set up. Standing I can shoot just about 360. But sitting I only have a certain window of range
Hawson

Unread postby Hawson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:47 am

All depends on the setup. When hunting from the ground, I will sometimes slowly stand an hour before I expect things to start moving and other times I stay seated but position myself so my draw is right to where I expect the deer to be coming from.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:51 am

I was 50/50 last season sitting and standing for my kills. I prefer to sit it's less movement than standing up when they are coming. Sometimes you gotta do what you have to do.
1jody256
Facebook: jodypalmerrocketmail@yahoo.com

Unread postby 1jody256 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:50 am

started shooting my trad bow while sitting about a month ago for turkey hunting seem to shoot some what better while sitting. :clap:
the lazy do not roast any game,but the dilligent feed on the riches of the hunt
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:05 am

I prefer to sit but have shot them both ways
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:25 am

I shot both sitting an standing. I sit until primetime. I prefer to shoot while standing but I have had situations where a deer suddenly shows up and I have no option but to make a shot while sitting. Situation dictates I guess.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:29 am

I have shot deer both sitting and standing, just depends on the situation.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:23 am

I have a story about shooting while sitting, it involves my first mature buck encounter ever so I hope no one minds.

Back in 2011 (pre beast) I picked up a bow and started hunting again. First season was just awful...AWFUL But in 2012 I made my first observation and adjustment to move closer to a big 6pt running around. My wife bought me my first deer blind and I swear on everything... I popped that sucker up in a bucks bed (didnt know anything AT ALL at the time) but that spot had a nice brush pile for cover around the blind. :D October 12th 2012 stays burned into my brain to this day bc it was a full day of first times. This buck came flying past the blind right at opening time at 20 yds! He stopped and came back where he ran by and slowly made his way to 35 yards. He shook his head alot as if he hurt it and kept looking back where he came blazing from. All I could make out in the grey light was junk going everywhere, but im pretty sure what happened was he got into a fight and broke this tine off!
I drew my bow sitting down for the first time ever and when I got drawn it felt so uncomfortable, I couldnt let the arrow go. I let down and gathered myself... & drew the bow once again. As I just hit the back of the draw cycle he looked directly at me and was gone like smoke! All i could see was a limb moving and couldnt hear a sound...

After kicking myself for about 6 hours, here comes a flock of gobblers walking by at 12noon on the dot. The last turkey in the group was directly where that buck was standing...35 yards. I drew once more sitting down and let it fly! I harvested my first gobbler ever and first w a bow! The part that eats at me is I shot this turkey through the neck where that buck was...My grandpa harvested him in rifle season that year, he doesnt keep trophies anymore so this buck is on my wall. I feel very blessed to been able to lay my hands on him after locking eyes w him.
After all of that said I have not had an issue since w shooting while sitting. Most people dont shoot the proper draw weight for their build (GUILTY!), so sometime them goofy shots require digging down deep to stay focused. Since switching to LW hang on and flip top climber w higher seat elevations, I am very excited to do it more often. I agree w Crazinamatese, when things start getting good I am usually standing anyways. Plus, since dedicating myself to the beast I find myself standing alot of the time bc my confidence is telling me to be ready thanks to intel and scouting. Practicing tough shot angles is something alot of people dont even do before the season.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:37 am

Whatever it takes. I practice every possible position so I'm ready at the moment of truth. Sitting is obviously more stable but not always possible as it limits your range of shot coverage.
JusPassinThru

Unread postby JusPassinThru » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:32 pm

I prefer to shoot standing up and have only shot standing up. I practice shooting sitting down and if I feel like I can't stand up without the deer busting me I would feel confident shooting sitting down
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:57 pm

I prefer standing, easier to adjust on the fly. I practice both.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”