What DVD should I purchase

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntzilla

What DVD should I purchase

Unread postby Huntzilla » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:41 am

Hey guys, I'm new to this approach of hunting. I heard Dan on a podcast and have watched many videos and listened to some of his podcasts. I hunt public land that's nothing but ridges. It's hard territory to hunt. Anyway just wanted some input on the DVDs. If it's the same stuff that's on YouTube then I'll just keep watching the YouTube stuff. That being said if it has additional footage that you think I'd benefit from let me know. Also, which one I should watch first, etc...

Huntzillapodcast.com - Public Land Whitetails and Fitness - Find is on Facebook and Instagram
bigwoodshuntn

Re: What DVD should I purchase

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:54 am

There is a hill country DVD that Dan has that I'm sure you could benefit from being that you hunt a lot of ridges.

Talks about where deer bed in hilly terrain and why. Thermals and other stuff is covered in there. I don't hunt hill country at all and still thought it was worth the watch.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:49 am

If your in ridges hill country bucks... If you wait a week or so there will be a new hill DVD out that goes into more depth about hill bedding.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:13 am

I'd start with hill country...Then the new one that is about to be released.

Honestly, I'd recommend getting them all...Grab one here n there...They are worth having.

You say you hunt all ridges. But it all somewhat relates to each other. Some info isn't absolutely specific and will apply to deer hunting in general. You can learn from all of it.

And, when you find yourself looking at big buck tracks leaving those ridges and heading toward a marsh or swamp etc, you will have the upper hand. Believe me...It happens. When the light bulb goes off you'll stand there and smile knowing you are onto a good one.

Lots of micro habitat too...I find swamp bottoms that hold great bucks in the hill county. I find bedding in over grown fields, briar patches, clear cuts etc often relate like a marsh.

Myself, after watching the marsh video, I went and found a marsh to scout and hunt lol. It's already one of my better spots. If you have marsh/swamps around, they often hold more deer and bigger deer than the hill country and woodlots and can be fantastic hunting because the normal guy isn't going in there.

The videos certainly have more than YouTube. The YouTube channel and some others are great...But the videos do have more info in them. Sometimes it's the same info but shown differently or explained differently.. Sometimes that's enough to make something make sense..
Huntzilla

Unread postby Huntzilla » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:53 pm

dan wrote:If your in ridges hill country bucks... If you wait a week or so there will be a new hill DVD out that goes into more depth about hill bedding.

Ok I'll be sure to check it out. Everything I've read and listened to has been awesome btw!
Huntzillapodcast.com - Public Land Whitetails and Fitness - Find is on Facebook and Instagram
Huntzilla

Unread postby Huntzilla » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:59 pm

mauser06 wrote:I'd start with hill country...Then the new one that is about to be released.

Honestly, I'd recommend getting them all...Grab one here n there...They are worth having.

You say you hunt all ridges. But it all somewhat relates to each other. Some info isn't absolutely specific and will apply to deer hunting in general. You can learn from all of it.

And, when you find yourself looking at big buck tracks leaving those ridges and heading toward a marsh or swamp etc, you will have the upper hand. Believe me...It happens. When the light bulb goes off you'll stand there and smile knowing you are onto a good one.

Lots of micro habitat too...I find swamp bottoms that hold great bucks in the hill county. I find bedding in over grown fields, briar patches, clear cuts etc often relate like a marsh.

Myself, after watching the marsh video, I went and found a marsh to scout and hunt lol. It's already one of my better spots. If you have marsh/swamps around, they often hold more deer and bigger deer than the hill country and woodlots and can be fantastic hunting because the normal guy isn't going in there.

The videos certainly have more than YouTube. The YouTube channel and some others are great...But the videos do have more info in them. Sometimes it's the same info but shown differently or explained differently.. Sometimes that's enough to make something make sense..

Yeah I have a few spots in mind. Walked over100 miles at this point. I've found some spots where ridges run into a lake. These areas provide a swampy type bottom and I've seen a lot of sign and trails going through them. The other great thing is that the only access (other than walking 3 over those hellish ridges) is by boat. Gonna take some work to hunt it by should drastically reduce the pressure from other hunters. All that being said I'm pretty amped up to learn ab targeting these bedding areas better! Thanks for the input!
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:38 am

The dvd marsh bed and swamp beds all have good information on them too. It does not matter what terrain you hunt. The knowledge still applies.

Check out the hunting beast tv episodes under extreme tactics.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:26 am

All of the deer DVDs. Seriously.

They are very reasonably priced. I looked at the store and looks like you can get all of the deer hunting DVDs listed in the HB Store for $70. I guarantee that is money well spent and I don't use that word lightly. Even if its a terrain you don't hunt usually, you will learn a lot of "big picture" stuff from it.

Far more useful than any $70 piece of gear you could possibly buy.

But put it off for another week or two and you can buy the new hill country DVD too that he is coming out with. I know it is intended to replace the old hill country one but I still would pick them all up even if a little redundant. Gives a person a better understanding of how opinions and tactics can evolve over time.
Huntzilla

Unread postby Huntzilla » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:55 am

JoeRE wrote:All of the deer DVDs. Seriously.

They are very reasonably priced. I looked at the store and looks like you can get all of the deer hunting DVDs listed in the HB Store for $70. I guarantee that is money well spent and I don't use that word lightly. Even if its a terrain you don't hunt usually, you will learn a lot of "big picture" stuff from it.

Far more useful than any $70 piece of gear you could possibly buy.

But put it off for another week or two and you can buy the new hill country DVD too that he is coming out with. I know it is intended to replace the old hill country one but I still would pick them all up even if a little redundant. Gives a person a better understanding of how opinions and tactics can evolve over time.

Alright well from what I've gathered I'm going to wait for the new hill country DVD. I'm in fire academy now so I can pace myself a little. My only off time is on the weekends when I go back home. That time is usually reserved for my family but I try sneak in a little YouTube hunting stuff when they go to bed lol. Can't wait to be done with academy and dive back into this stuff heavy again.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:36 pm

I was just wondering what the swamp bedding DVD covers where I'm from we have few cattail swamps and more tag alder and spruce swamps. I've already have heavily pressured marsh bucks and hill country
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:58 pm

JAK wrote:I was just wondering what the swamp bedding DVD covers where I'm from we have few cattail swamps and more tag alder and spruce swamps. I've already have heavily pressured marsh bucks and hill country

It goes into depth about where, when, and why bucks bed in certain spots in swamps, and then touches on how to kill them when they do so. Understanding bedding is one of the most underestimated advantages a hunter could have. Even if you don't hunt the way I do, knowing bucks bed in certain ways to watch / smell your access and how to avoid getting busted is worth the admission fee.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:49 am

Dan's humble and not a product pusher. As has been pointed out earlier. Each DVD and terrain type teaches so much about the BIG picture. They are all well worth buying. When he finishes the entire collection it will be a virtual deer hunting encyclopedia. Most important part of our is knowledge. In the long run Dan makes it the cheapest part also. All of our other equipment costs tons more!!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
msw08d

Unread postby msw08d » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:40 pm

Been lurking and posting on here for a year or so. Learned tons already but yesterday I splurged and bought swamp and marsh bedding. Waiting to get the new hill country as well. Thanks Dan can't wait to watch them!!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:20 pm

msw08d wrote:Been lurking and posting on here for a year or so. Learned tons already but yesterday I splurged and bought swamp and marsh bedding. Waiting to get the new hill country as well. Thanks Dan can't wait to watch them!!!

Love to hear a review after you have watched! 8-)
Cuzzinfish

Unread postby Cuzzinfish » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:10 am

dan wrote:
msw08d wrote:Been lurking and posting on here for a year or so. Learned tons already but yesterday I splurged and bought swamp and marsh bedding. Waiting to get the new hill country as well. Thanks Dan can't wait to watch them!!!

Love to hear a review after you have watched! 8-)

I bought the hill country bucks DVD and it's fantastic. I'm from WV and grew up hearing "hunt high in the morning, low in the evening" and got on a few bucks finding high oak benches or water down low in early season. The information turned on a lot of light bulbs remembering certain things I saw and never knew how to connect the dots. Makes me want to go back to some of the public land I used to hunt and put it to use.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”