bedds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

northeast beast

bedds

Unread postby northeast beast » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:39 am

I hunt a big Agricultural area. Most of the woods that surrounds the fields are perfect little square blocks. I have a area I have dedicated to a sanctuary. I have shed hunted it and found no sheds. I see monster 3-4 finger tracks like dan says are from a mature buck going in and out of the santuary. My question is the area is less then 5 acres its swampy and thick. I know bucks don't usually like to bed with does but this small core area is holding the deer. Will the buck pick his bed within that sanctuary and then the does and smaller bucks will just find other beds within this area? Or will these mature bucks not want to bed with the rest of the heard in this big thick swampy sanctuary and search out a different location?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: bedds

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:52 am

Bucks and other deer will bed close to each other. The distance varies based on aggressiveness, timing of the rut, and terrain. Sometimes they bed right beside each other. But there should be big bucks and does and little bucks bedding in there.
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Re: bedds

Unread postby mike perry » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:03 am

The mature bucks would likely be the first deer to go into that 5 acres and bed each morning. Either way first or last in to the bedding area I think the dominant buck would get the preferred bed, the other deer should know the pecking order, it should only take one whiff of him or look at him and they would have to give that bed up for the dominant buck.
Aim small miss small

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”