Moon under foot/ overhead

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jwalters

Moon under foot/ overhead

Unread postby Jwalters » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:01 am

Ok my first post to The Hunting Beast! I've read a lot of the topics on here so far and used it in the field. I'm vary surprised and what I found and where I found it Thank you all! As for the title of this post I was hoping you'll that follow the moon could elaborate on this moon over head/ under foot deal for me? I'm not quite getting it, also how it ties in with the full moon [rutting moon]. Thanks
Jim

I like big bucks an can not lie :dance:
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Moon under foot/ overhead

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:50 am

Welcome!
Jeff Murray created a Moon Guide based on deer studies the idea was to be in certain locations at certain times. The theory is when the moon is o/h or u/f in the proximity of "prime time" am or pm, deer are more apt to get on their feet sooner/get back to bed later bc they are feeding. This goes out the window in most cases of highly pressured deer. Some people see these results, some do not, some dont care, others say its another reason for them moving. Essentially getting these times when its closest to 1/2 moon phase have shown results. Honestly, its just another tool in the you can consider when debating when to dive into a spot or a buck that just isnt showing in daylight. I do not necessarily plan hunts around these days, but I got lucky last season and they basically fell on weekends perfectly. Weather always trumps the moon IMO.
A new study was done about this topic and it brought to light the moon rise/set times. It showed more activity on these times and dates when it got closer to full or new moon days. Here is the study - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36561 Happy Reading!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”