Cluster of Rubs

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dglee4

Cluster of Rubs

Unread postby dglee4 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:40 am

Does a cluster of rubs, some on trails some not indicate a breeding area near by? These rubs are about 10 yards off a swamp, this is a big woods area no farm fields around but there are a lot of oaks about 200 yards to the northwest and I believe some one baiting about 200 yards to the southeast. Too much snow yet to verify if there's a bed near by but just wondering if anyone has had any areas like that?

Thanks in advance

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Cluster of Rubs

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:45 am

dglee4 wrote:Does a cluster of rubs, some on trails some not indicate a breeding area near by? These rubs are about 10 yards off a swamp, this is a big woods area no farm fields around but there are a lot of oaks about 200 yards to the northwest and I believe some one baiting about 200 yards to the southeast. Too much snow yet to verify if there's a bed near by but just wondering if anyone has had any areas like that?

Thanks in advance

Being on the edge of a swamp, the odds are strong that you were looking at a staging area close to buck and or doe bedding. I have observed these types of staging areas for decades. I can't be certain without actually seeing it.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:09 pm

I've seen clusters of rubs right next to, or at the very least very near bedding areas. More often in the thick cover of swampy creek bottom terrain without larger trees. I've also seen clusters of rubs at the edge of cattails. I'm sure others could attest to this as well.

This "cluster of rubs" seen in the background was right up against a bed, I'm holding up belly hair. Kind of hard to tell from the picture, but there is an indentation in front of the cluster with belly hair.

This bed (tucked back in behind the trees) is very close to the first picture. Notice the water in the bottom left? It is right up against a small beaver pond. There are clusters of rubs throughout this entire bedding area, I just happened to take a couple pictures. Not sure about the breeding you mentioned, but I definitely do see clusters of rubs near thick bedding areas. Whatever the reason, I would say its a good thing. Probably any area worth hunting.
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Sounds like you have a staging area near some bedding on the transition line, you'll probably find the same sort of sign in almost every swamp worth hunting
Aim small miss small
dglee4

Unread postby dglee4 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Thank you for the responses guys! I appreciate it!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”