Excuses

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Re: Excuses

Unread postby DeerDylan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:50 am

I'm the odd man out.... I've made excuses before but they are few and far between these days.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Does "I can barely walk cause I'm weak". Get a break.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
ERICBROOKS

Unread postby ERICBROOKS » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:56 pm

I just shake my head when it's November and you hear guys say it's too warm to hunt!!
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Couple seasons ago I decided to not hunt cause it was snowing hard. Would've been a rough drive to get there but it cost me a sweet 4 yr old 10 that came strolling thru at 10am. Taught me a valuable lesson, hunt unless physically impossible.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:27 pm

stash59 wrote:Does "I can barely walk cause I'm weak". Get a break.

Physical limitations obviously are understood. Stash what you are dealing with yet still making an effort to do what you love is a great example of true determination.
bigwoodshuntn

Unread postby bigwoodshuntn » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:40 pm

I will catch some grief for this I'm sure but that's alright. My week off first of November last year for the rut was record heat it seemed like here in Wisconsin. I had absolutely no desire to go out in that crap and I ended up not hunting much.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:59 pm

The only excuse I use sometimes is in late season when I have 2 or 3 deer in the freezer. Excuse not to go sit in the cold. Lol. I'm usually pretty gung ho early season and rut. I go no matter what if I have plans
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:06 pm

I always found the later in the season the easier it was to make an excuse. After a long and grinding season much easier to sleep in.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mike perry
Facebook: Mike Perry

Unread postby mike perry » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:13 pm

The excuses used most in PA are all the lands posted and they're no deer on public land, I say yep your right no deer on public land, especially big mature bucks :lol:

Even guys I work with that are hunting private land complain about lack of deer. Trust me they're deer all around NW PA. They usually make this excuse if they eat tag soup.
Aim small miss small
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:37 am

My only excuse is family. I have a wife and 2 young kids. My wife hasn't told me I can't go out, but I can tell when I've gone to much so I don't ask. I also don't miss birthdays, holidays, or beggars night to hunt. So far weather hasn't been an excuse. If I have a day I can hunt, I hunt.
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:55 am

The excuse I find myself wanting to use the most is not getting enough time to hunt or scout. But in truth, I have learned I can accomplish a lot if I use the time I do have efficiently.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:19 am

Excuses are like ***holes, everybody has one and they all stink!
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:30 am

Wlog wrote:Excuses are like ***holes, everybody has one and they all stink!

This is very true!
:lol:
There have been a couple times where I got out of the truck and thought to myself I shouldn't be here, but that was cause of wind gusts @ 50 mph or lightning. But once I'm in the stand those thoughts disappear or I take the time to scout.
If I'm going to croak at least in the woods there'd be a smile on my face.
Kinda morbid but true
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:11 pm

I feel like an excuse is a justification of a fault or failure. Simply put if I don't want to hunt, then I won't hunt. I do not have to justify it to anyone including myself. If I'm tired, burnt out etc. I won't go, especially if I can't put in 100% of my effort and focus. ZSV mentioned family. I agree family should come first as should any other priority.

That said I've seen people use excuses as a justification. "Public land is too hard, too much walking etc". there's no deer here, etc
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:34 pm

If I'm sick I don't go. I might go scout a little but I've already been in that situation where I've gone when I shouldn't have and had an uncontrollable coughing fit at prime time. I'd rather stay home and rest up so I can hit it hard when I'm feeling better. I'm talking really sick though, not the sniffles. I don't care about the snot streaming down my face that's what you have sleeves for :mrgreen:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”