Excuses

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Excuses

Unread postby JoeRE » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:38 pm

checkerfred wrote:I feel like an excuse is a justification of a fault or failure. Simply put if I don't want to hunt, then I won't hunt. I do not have to justify it to anyone including myself. If I'm tired, burnt out etc. I won't go, especially if I can't put in 100% of my effort and focus. ZSV mentioned family. I agree family should come first as should any other priority.

That said I've seen people use excuses as a justification. "Public land is too hard, too much walking etc". there's no deer here, etc

Well put Checkerfred.

My brother in law wanted me to put him on a good buck a while ago. He is a pretty average Iowa deer hunter, doesn't like to shoot a deer he can't drive his truck to. I told him sure, described that we were going to walk over a mile each way and if we got one, had to get it over several 200-300 foot hills to a vehicle. He looked at me like I had suggested we fly to the moon or something. We didn't go hunting. :lol:

mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:48 pm

No excuse, I always go. Hunted turkeys & killed one on top of east mt. 15 days after ACL surgery(crutch & all). I might plan a day off to re group, blizzard or Thunderstorm might keep me out but if there is a way I go out. Mike
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 am

JoeRE wrote:
checkerfred wrote:I feel like an excuse is a justification of a fault or failure. Simply put if I don't want to hunt, then I won't hunt. I do not have to justify it to anyone including myself. If I'm tired, burnt out etc. I won't go, especially if I can't put in 100% of my effort and focus. ZSV mentioned family. I agree family should come first as should any other priority.

That said I've seen people use excuses as a justification. "Public land is too hard, too much walking etc". there's no deer here, etc

Well put Checkerfred.

My brother in law wanted me to put him on a good buck a while ago. He is a pretty average Iowa deer hunter, doesn't like to shoot a deer he can't drive his truck to. I told him sure, described that we were going to walk over a mile each way and if we got one, had to get it over several 200-300 foot hills to a vehicle. He looked at me like I had suggested we fly to the moon or something. We didn't go hunting. :lol:

Hahaha heck a mile to me these days is about like parking and hunting right off the road.
buckeye

Unread postby buckeye » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Last fall my buddy told me he couldn't go because his pet pig was sick.
Instagram.com/buckeye_archer
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:10 pm

buckeye wrote:Last fall my buddy told me he couldn't go because his pet pig was sick.

Did you have bacon for dinner?
Ha!
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:09 pm

My buddies always have a few excuses
-deer don't move when it's warm
-deer don't move when it's windy
-deer don't move in the snow
-deer don't move in the rain
-there's no deer around anyway
-there's no tracking snow
-there's too much snow
-it's too cold
-my gun's not sighted in
-how are we going to drag it out of here if we shoot one?

3 of my buddies didn't want to go one year on the last day of the season even though we had all seen a big buck with a bunch of does in the area 2 days earlier. It was too cold for them and snowing and the only one who would come was one of their dads. I ended up shooting my biggest buck to date that evening. My buddy's 60 year old dad and I had a great laugh about it dragging that old boy out. I used to make excuses too when I had more time to hunt. Now I'm married and we have a young daughter so I can't afford to waste time or make excuses anymore.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:16 am

Public land????

Why would I go there? :doh:

Hearing this does not sound right to me. And just like private land you should get out and learn it a little. But they don't.
Wishing for a prime private to fall in your lap with stands up waiting for you is unreal. But might just be an excuse.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:40 am

I've heard all the ones posted on here and always have to laugh. The one I really like is "Our season opens too early and it's hot so the deer would spoil as soon as I killed it". "Too hot" for these guys is 75 degrees :lol: Since our season started opening late Sept I have killed a buck before October 10th every year and most of them have been on 75* plus days. :mrgreen: I always ask them, "you know you can just quarter one out and put it in the fridge right?" haha. Weather is always the biggest one. I just nod in agreement because I know those days I will have the woods to myself! :dance:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:42 am

JoeRE wrote:I know a lot of hard core types will sneer at this but I tend not to hunt when its hot out. I mean say 20+ degrees above average not just a little warm.

Call it an excuse if you want, but I don't like sitting in the woods dripping sweat, and knowing the deer don't like the heat any more than I do.

Most excuses I hear have to do with either girls, booze, or being fat. Hunting or work, the excuses are the same :lol:

I still hunt when its warm but it sure does slow everything down. I like Muddy's lightning excuse too, all that aluminum up in a tree would be a nice conduit.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:52 am

muddy wrote:My only excuse is lightning. I wont hunt in that.

This is where my common sense doesn't always come into play. I have hunted right through lightning storms in the past. In hindsight being out on a lone marsh island is not the best place to be especially when you are in or near the tallest tree for miles. I had lightning hit very close striking a tree on an island I was on before and that woke me up a bit. Now if I see a flash I immediately get out of the tree and hunt on the ground at least till it passes. Most islands I hunt on have at least one tree that is blown up or burned from obvious lightning strikes. Fishing I still tend to push my luck because that period leading up to the storm can be amazing.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:58 am

I have hunted thru a few thunderstorms during my hunting career. If it's a fast mover in the afternoon, after can have awesome deer movement.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”