Dan came to my 40 today, my experience

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Re: Dan came to my 40 today, my experience

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:18 am

Stanley wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:Still amazes me how a hunter can get so few sits on that size a land. Not disagreeing but it sure doesn't help the confidence level.

You can get more hunts out of a forty acre tract. Depends on where it is located. I have touched on this before hunting good spots not junkie spots.

This goes along with BIG BUCK hunting versus deer hunting. If a property holds target deer than hunt on. Depending on hunter AND property.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:47 am

justdirtyfun wrote:
Stanley wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:Still amazes me how a hunter can get so few sits on that size a land. Not disagreeing but it sure doesn't help the confidence level.

You can get more hunts out of a forty acre tract. Depends on where it is located. I have touched on this before hunting good spots not junkie spots.

This goes along with BIG BUCK hunting versus deer hunting. If a property holds target deer than hunt on. Depending on hunter AND property.

Truth. I'm sure this was a big piece of how Sturgis initially set up the property. He is big on access and steering the deer. Definitely a lot less aggressive than close quarter bed hunt.
Sam Ubl
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider

Unread postby Sam Ubl » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:24 am

Very cool! :clap:
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV | http://www.chasenation.tv
Watch Chase Nation on Carbon TV: https://www.carbontv.com/shows/chase-na ... red-slider
Huntmore | http://www.huntmore.io/
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:42 am

8-)
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
scoot12

Unread postby scoot12 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:57 am

Where Dan had me reposition my stands is actually more towards the edge of my land then before. One stand has awesome access where you really never have to step foot where the deer travel most of the time until you shoot one.
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:14 pm

8-)

You look different with a mustache too Dan!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:57 pm

scoot12 wrote:Where Dan had me reposition my stands is actually more towards the edge of my land then before. One stand has awesome access where you really never have to step foot where the deer travel most of the time until you shoot one.

Thats a good deal. If the proposed access and location takes advantage of the predominant wind direction you should be able to squeeze out a few more hunts for sure. Otherwise, typical bed hunts require 5-7 week of rest to prevent burnout. So typically in WI on an aggreasive sit I'll hunt the first two weeks of WI opener plus a late prerut sit. Your cell cam helps. Unless you have a solid bed to food pattern in September your best bet in his local is late October. November sucks for patterns. Then assuming you have the bed to food pattern locked down, you have another good window in December with wicked cold, but I'll quickly mention that western WI hills are a tough hunt in the late season.
scoot12

Unread postby scoot12 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:21 pm

In a few weeks, my stepson is doing a flyover with his drone and I will post vid and try to explain where Dan found beds and where he had me repostion my stands. Bass did you mean hunting late season in western hills because of the cold or because of being quiet entering your areas?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:59 pm

Noise, greater visibility, and tricky thermals.

Good stuff regardless. I'm looking forward to the drone footage. A lot of property managers use them to show off their habitat work. It has become one of my favorite POVs.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:51 am

Stanley wrote:

I agree Stanley. We hunt 6 small parcels, but one of them (20 cares) can handle a lot of pressure and still produce good bucks. Its in how you hunt it and when. Sometimes it takes time to learn the property in this regard.
Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:28 pm

Nothing beats one on one with the Serial Killer. Awesome!
Hope you connect this fall. Good Luck!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:48 am

Stanley wrote:

Stanley, I will definitely yield to you on mature buck hunting. I was speaking in generalities, mainly that overhunting is the nemesis of pursuing big bucks on small private chunks. I would love to hear how to hunt this piece, or a quality piece, more while pursuing mature bucks.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
scoot12

Unread postby scoot12 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:08 am

Image decided to post a topo map of where Dan and I moved stands too. X spots are stand locations. Dark little circles are buck beds he found. There where little knobs where a lot of these beds where found that you can't see on a topo. Center is where I have my plots and marked with the marker. Doe beds where found closer to the top near the plots. The plot with the best access is the one closest to where I park. There is also a water hole there. Next week I will post a the vid from the drone so guys can see how the serial killer would hunt it.
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:07 am

I'm curious why there was no buck bed found on the point that the NE stand is on.

Some of these aren't spots I would've hung stands, so I'd like to see you or Dan explain each of these set-ups, and the wind directions you'd hunt them on.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:29 am

Primetime41 wrote:I'm curious why there was no buck bed found on the point that the NE stand is on.

Some of these aren't spots I would've hung stands, so I'd like to see you or Dan explain each of these set-ups, and the wind directions you'd hunt them on.

The point the stand is on is to open for buck bedding. There is some there, but the good stuff is in the thicker areas, and the areas no one bothers. But there is good bedding nearby, and he has a water hole on that point. Its a good kill position though... It would be hard to have bedding there anyway, cause its right above his access.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”