Questions about Hunting Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Octang
500 Club

Questions about Hunting Bedding

Unread postby Octang » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:18 pm

While scouting a new area today my brain started hurting as I tried to figure out what to do with the sign I was discovering. It made me acutely aware of how much I still need to learn.

I am in need of an education from you guys.

I was investigating a forest that had a marsh off of a lake, surrounded by a higher elevation forest. The elevation changes steeply very close to the marsh. Diagram below:

There is a well-used deer bed in the marsh off of the dense thicket with a good amount of buck sign in the dense thicket, making me think the thicket is a staging area for whatever is bedding in that large nearby marsh bed. (the dense thicket is at the base of the ledge) I could easily climb down the ledge and slip into the dense thicket to hunt off of the large bed that I found in the marsh. However, as best as I can determine it looks like there is satellite bedding within that thicket too, though I can't say how often it gets used.

Would it be a mistake to try to set up to hunt in the dense thicket if there really is bedding amongst it?
Is finding a lot of satellite bedding normal around a larger bed? Or perhaps, am I just labeling a lot of stuff bedding that really isn't?
How close should you hunt to buck beds?

This was the largest, most matted down buck bed I've come across so far. Does that mean anything in relation to the size of the deer? Or does it just mean I found a bed that got used a lot. Picture below:

PLAN B:

If hunting the dense thicket is not a good idea, there is a very pronounced funnel shown on the map that leads directly from the marsh, through the thicket, to the top of the ledge where the forest opens up and leads to nearby feeding areas. I found a lot of various beds scattered throughout the tamaracks in the marsh and this would be the most obvious trail the deer would take coming and going from their bedding area. Would setting up in this funnel be a smarter choice?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Last edited by Octang on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Questions about Hunting Bedding

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:11 pm

Octang,
If you can find a good spot at the mouth of the funnel. I'm thinking just to the right of your top blue arrow. The ideal set-up would being able to see the bed from your tree. Not sure if that's possible? For a first sit. Hopefully you would be able to see the buck, or other buck movement in that area. Then move in on the pattern you witness for your second sit.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:16 am

Hard to say "for sure" without looking at it 1st hand... But I have some very similar places I hunt. In a lot of cases the bucks only bed the thicket area early and or late season. But without seeing them I can't say for sure. My 1st hunt in that area would cover all the beds at the nearest spot or at an observation, if there is one that would work. Bucks will travel farther in daylight when going thru bedding areas... I still have a feeling though that you need to be right on the edge of the cattails. Thicket bedding could even be mostly night beds?
The big bed you found in the cattails is likely so big because the buck rotates his position based on the wind and beds there on any wind.
The bedding you described in the Tameracks SOUNDS LIKE YOUR ON THE RIGHT PAGE.

Throw some stands at it and see what happens. There is no such thing as failure. Its an education. If your off you adjust next time. .
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:49 am

dan wrote:Hard to say "for sure" without looking at it 1st hand... But I have some very similar places I hunt. In a lot of cases the bucks only bed the thicket area early and or late season. But without seeing them I can't say for sure. My 1st hunt in that area would cover all the beds at the nearest spot or at an observation, if there is one that would work. Bucks will travel farther in daylight when going thru bedding areas... I still have a feeling though that you need to be right on the edge of the cattails. Thicket bedding could even be mostly night beds?
The big bed you found in the cattails is likely so big because the buck rotates his position based on the wind and beds there on any wind.
The bedding you described in the Tameracks SOUNDS LIKE YOUR ON THE RIGHT PAGE.

Throw some stands at it and see what happens. There is no such thing as failure. Its an education. If your off you adjust next time. .

Thanks Dan. I picked out a couple of good trees to throw up stands in while I was there, depending on how I decided to hunt it. However, when I go back I'll take a fresh look at the area and find the best place overlooking the marsh for an observation stand. It should be an interesting challenge because the Tamaracks are scattered around well enough in the marsh that there isn't an obvious spot to set up for the best look. I'll have to find the 'least bad' option and go from there. lol

It does seem like a fun place to hunt though and I'm excited to get in there!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:30 am

Sometimes it takes a few hunts to really understand an area... And some places an observation just won't work. Looks like your on the right path though...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”