Question for Dan about scent

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matlocc

Question for Dan about scent

Unread postby matlocc » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:33 am

I made my wife watch all of your youtube videos with me. We bonded. She bonded to doing laundry and I bonded to the couch. My question is, that on one of your videos you did a mid day scout and set up in the evening. Are you not worried about leaving scent all over the area doing that?

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Question for Dan about scent

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:55 am

I try to hunt a spot I scout the same day I scout it so the buck never has a chance to get there before I do and discover my intrusion. As long as I am careful to never go deeper than the kill tree I can kill him the same day I scouted. I rarely hunt the same trees twice on public... As far as scouting for future days, I stay back from the bedding areas and kill area as much as possible and scout where they would expect more human intrusion.
matlocc

Re: Question for Dan about scent

Unread postby matlocc » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:21 am

So if you go in to scout land you are ready to hunt the area that day? What about off season scouting, do you think walking in spooks them out but only for that day? Also if you go in to scout and are ready to hunt, what about the scent you leave wandering around? Have you noticed that they can smell you if the wind changes or they come in from a direction you were not expecting?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”