Scent control used on "Chasing Down a Dream" hunt video

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CarpeCervidae

Scent control used on "Chasing Down a Dream" hunt video

Unread postby CarpeCervidae » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:53 am

Hi, Dan/others,
I'm sure the subject of scent control has been discussed exhaustively on here, but wondering if I could get an idea through a new reply or a redirection to an earlier post regarding what scent control Dan uses. In particular, I found the "Chasing Down a Dream" video that you very recently uploaded to YouTube pretty entertaining. The fact that you scouted quite a bit on foot each day of the multiple-day hunt, checking out the incredible rub/s that Roman-nosed brute made and changing so many stand locations, I was amazed this was pulled off (though you're the man - it's just that *I* wouldn't envision myself being successful in doing the same). I know you indicated on the map the various stand sites, and your approaches that kept your wind & ground in one scent stream, but from laying down scent day after day....how do you pull this off?

Thanks!

John (new member as of yesterday)

Uncle Lou

Re: Scent control used on "Chasing Down a Dream" hunt video

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:48 am

Welcome to the BEAST John. dan's scent control is machine shop grease and some dan funk
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
nor' easter

Unread postby nor' easter » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:53 am

Uncle Lou wrote:Welcome to the BEAST John. dan's scent control is machine shop grease and some dan funk

Dank funk! Classic! :lol:
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:18 am

nor' easter wrote:
Uncle Lou wrote:Welcome to the BEAST John. dan's scent control is machine shop grease and some dan funk

Dank funk! Classic! :lol:

Get your "Dan Funk" in convenient to use spray bottles in the hunting beast store!!!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:38 am

Dan uses zero scent control along with many others on the site doing the same. We put everything on wind, thermals and entrance routes and as a group get in bow range of an amazingly high number of buck each and every year. You don't need scent control to hunt but you need to do all things in your power to keep your scent out of that deer's nose and it can be done consistently without magical suites and products that IMO don't work on the public land I hunt.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:06 am

I was trying to understand why it appeared Dan set up on the upwind side of the scrape/rub where he jumped the buck/doe? I enjoyed the vid as usual, but that stand placement puzzled me.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:20 am

headgear wrote:Dan uses zero scent control along with many others on the site doing the same. We put everything on wind, thermals and entrance routes and as a group get in bow range of an amazingly high number of buck each and every year. You don't need scent control to hunt but you need to do all things in your power to keep your scent out of that deer's nose and it can be done consistently without magical suites and products that IMO don't work on the public land I hunt.

Yep... Well said.

Here is from another post that seemed to be about the same hunt:
I try to hunt a spot I scout the same day I scout it so the buck never has a chance to get there before I do and discover my intrusion. As long as I am careful to never go deeper than the kill tree I can kill him the same day I scouted. I rarely hunt the same trees twice on public... As far as scouting for future days, I stay back from the bedding areas and kill area as much as possible and scout where they would expect more human intrusion.

It seems to get people mad that I kill bucks consistently without modern scent control. My belief thru observation and thru watching tests done with hounds and studying deer nose's is that absolutely nothing you do will stop a deer from smelling you if he walks where you walked, or gets down wind. Maybe it is "Dan funk" cause last year I had a nice buck right down wind and was bouncing milkweed off him and he never even acknowledged me... Others would tell you ie was there scent control, but I was wearing clothes for consecitive days that on the occasion they do get washed, its in with the rest of the laundry...

Scent control to me is #1 access in a way the deer don't cross your path (at least untill its to late) #2 Don';t let your wind, or a thermal air current get to him before my arrow. #3 Stay mobile and keep him guessing rather than patterning you.

If scent control was so important, why or how do I kill so many big pressured whitetails? Don't let adds, and sponsored TV hosts control you ;)
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:23 am

kenn1320 wrote:I was trying to understand why it appeared Dan set up on the upwind side of the scrape/rub where he jumped the buck/doe? I enjoyed the vid as usual, but that stand placement puzzled me.

I would have to watch the video again to be sure, but I think my wind was blowing into the swamp and I was expecting them to come back from in front of me where they ran in, and where the trails come from. Kind of a just off wind... But, I can't remember for sure?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”