Missed Connections

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jbone23

Missed Connections

Unread postby jbone23 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:34 pm

I blew it this past season on a buck I really wanted to kill. Heres the story of how I blew it what would yall have done different. I only had one trail camera photo of him in the season, so waited for more picks or a rubs to show up. Neither did and didn't have any idea where exactly he was bedding (the hardwood finger is surrounded by thick 8 ft pines) or feeding, so didnt feel safe hunting hard of one photo. Someone killed him while I waited for more intell.
Here is pic of area:
The top of the arrow is where cam was. Below the bottom of the arrow where the transition is, is where he was shot a couple of weeks later in the morning during rifle season. I hunted the area by the camera once, the evening after the deer walked by the cam. Pulled cam saw the pic went back to spot in AM and saw nothing . Couple weeks passed left spot alone and deer got shot. How would yall hunt this situation going off of one photo and no rubs. In the pic you can kind of see he still had some velvet it on and although there were multiple bucks in that area no rubs showed up until end of December.
A couple months after the deer was killed I hunted an evening at the top of the finger of of hardwoods where it pinches down to a point. Saw 2 bucks one pretty nice skirting just inside the pines so I couldnt get a shot off. Almost positive that buck would have been moving the same way. I could hear them for a hour moving around in the pines before the finally got towards the edge at last light.

How would yall attack this situation??? Its pretty thick so observation stands would be tricky. The land is flat as a pancake. My first plan until I saw pic was to avoid hunting mornings due to early season spooking deer in am (our rut isn't until md january) Have yall had success in early season mornings?

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Missed Connections

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:28 pm

That's a tough one - sorry bout that. I'd say he was bedded between the arrow and the point, in the head area, but could have been on the point but there is a road there...

One thing I've seen on here is that either the guys hunt last year's intel or the jump in aggressively. It is easy to say you should have hunted him harder, but you gotta make those calls.

Take the off-season to learn where those 2 bucks you saw bed and how to hunt them - assuming they made it and are big enough for you. Seems they like that finger and the transition it creates.

You have all kinds of time to figure out a way to open a few shooting lanes. Possibly hunt from he ground?

Best wishes for this season.
TNstalker

Unread postby TNstalker » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:41 am

Go find the beds an go from there. Do u have a high doe population? Bc I do in my area and it seems that unless u have a high mature deer population u don't see many big rubs bc there is no competition. I see rubs but it's from small deer in most areas.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:44 am

Just wanted to say it's good to see your work paying off from last year jbone23. Very nice looking buck, sorry to hear it...
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:06 am

On your question of early season mornings, look at when the picture was taken. ;)

In the Midwest, the early season evening sits are obviously favored and probably for good reason. In the Southeast, I don't think that holds true. Maybe that's partially because I don't feel as in tune to a hunt unless I watch the woods wake up, or maybe it's because it's much more comfortable walking in before daylight as opposed to a few hours before sunset.

I would take that date and figure out moon phase and use weather underground for that day, and maybe even a day or two prior, to get a feel for why he was on his feet at that time.
jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:44 am

I've never been able to correlate any movement related to moon in the southeast. Weather definitely will hurt or help movement. I should have known better about hunting am had a bunch of pics and some encounters with the buck last year in the morning. I'm guessing he was 4.5 years this year and figured it would be real hard to catch him daylight especially in am.

What would y'all do to hone in on a deer where observation sits aren't going to work without stinking up the area?
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:05 am

I was the guy in the treestand next to the oak tree on October 28th. You didn't see me right away because I was wearing my predator camoflauge. I bursted out a snort wheeze and you started to walk to me but the guy with the chain saw pushed you away before we could meet. I'd like to share something with you if we ever meet again.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:10 am

I think you really need to find out where the primary bedding area is, to figure out a plan of attack. Easier said than done! Without that information you are just guessing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”