PSU buck movement study during PA rifle season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rfickes87
500 Club

PSU buck movement study during PA rifle season

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:42 am

Click the link here...

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/proj ... ning-bucks

I find this very interesting. I read the article and watched the video. I had to laugh though...If only these biologists would read Dan's articles here on the beast, then they'd really put 2 and 2 together, lol.

"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
cbay
500 Club

Re: PSU buck movement study during PA rifle season

Unread postby cbay » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:53 am

I really enjoy their movement studies. They are spread throughout their Deer Forest Study Blog spanning quite a few years.
I've watched enough of them to see a very strong relationship with the movements and what Dan and others teach on here. I like to slow them down in the settings and have longer to think about the movements as well. Great stuff, thanks for bringing it up.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:15 am

That's cool they use the same points constantly. I'd like to see a study like this in farm, marsh, and swamp country also.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:14 pm

My favorite study someone posted was a buck through the whole season. Each month. You could see his areas progressing. Then bam! He's off the grid chasing does, then he settles down again into a core area.
I agree w Hawthorne, those still shots really put it into perspective and gives me re assurance to what I'm seeing.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Darkknight54 wrote:My favorite study someone posted was a buck through the whole season. Each month. You could see his areas progressing. Then bam! He's off the grid chasing does, then he settles down again into a core area.
I agree w Hawthorne, those still shots really put it into perspective and gives me re assurance to what I'm seeing.

Here's another cool article i just read. Amazing to see in the last chart how much more bucks travel in November. No surprise obviously but still remarkable in my opinion!

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/proj ... quare-mile
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:11 pm

rfickes87 wrote:
Darkknight54 wrote:My favorite study someone posted was a buck through the whole season. Each month. You could see his areas progressing. Then bam! He's off the grid chasing does, then he settles down again into a core area.

Here's another cool article i just read. Amazing to see in the last chart how much more bucks travel in November. No surprise obviously but still remarkable in my opinion!

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/proj ... quare-mile

Excellent article! The graphs really are eye openers w the acreage. 2k acres in daylight during the rut, wow. One of the most elusive animals in the world and we go find and sit in their beds. Thank you Hunting Beast!
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:24 am

I find it intertesting that the does move the most in Oct. and a little less after that :think: ...another reason to know your doe bedding areas. The bucks will have to come looking...
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:50 am

Very interesting. Really sheds light on movement and pressure. Makes the puzzle a little clearer.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:54 am

I agree these studies are interesting. Unless I missed it I think it would be interesting knowing the difference in home ranges of bucks of different age classes. The second article shows how much bucks ranges increase in November but I would bet the home ranges for older deer would not be as large as younger bucks. I'm sure there are studies already like that but I just wished they would have separated the bucks by ages to see how much of an increase older bucks had in their home ranges in November.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:33 pm

Whitetailaddict wrote:I agree these studies are interesting. Unless I missed it I think it would be interesting knowing the difference in home ranges of bucks of different age classes. The second article shows how much bucks ranges increase in November but I would bet the home ranges for older deer would not be as large as younger bucks. I'm sure there are studies already like that but I just wished they would have separated the bucks by ages to see how much of an increase older bucks had in their home ranges in November.

You are in luck! I remembered this article by the QDMA from a few years back.

https://www.qdma.com/new-data-buck-home-range-size-age/
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 pm

rfickes87 wrote:
Whitetailaddict wrote:I agree these studies are interesting. Unless I missed it I think it would be interesting knowing the difference in home ranges of bucks of different age classes. The second article shows how much bucks ranges increase in November but I would bet the home ranges for older deer would not be as large as younger bucks. I'm sure there are studies already like that but I just wished they would have separated the bucks by ages to see how much of an increase older bucks had in their home ranges in November.

You are in luck! I remembered this article by the QDMA from a few years back.

https://www.qdma.com/new-data-buck-home-range-size-age/

I was surprised how small the ranges were! I suspect, like the article mentioned, in less desirable habit the ranges would be quite a bit bigger?
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Wow thats some good info, I am watching some from the PSU website about buck movement. Very interesting to see year to year not much change.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”