Bucks in the real thick stuff question?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PASwamper

Bucks in the real thick stuff question?

Unread postby PASwamper » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:03 pm

When your trying to figure out a bucks trail through real thick stuff do you look for the one or two trails where he can get through without his rack fighting branches and being noisy? I know what they can get through is amazing, but on trails I have to crawl through I can't see a buck using them regularly because they can't be easy to travel. All I seen were small tracks and its really tight, is it fairly safe to assume its a doe trail?

Spysar
500 Club

Re: Bucks in the real thick stuff question?

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:33 am

I think they avoid it while in velvet. After the velvet is gone they can go through any small brush and thicket. I've seen them get racks through stuff I would have thought impossible.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:00 pm

Big deer have lived in areas like this all their lives and get good at it.
It's funny if a deer busts you or you shot one and they disappear in a blink of an eye. If we took the exact trail it would take twice as long and make a lot more noise.

I'm not a master at this but did hunt a large swamp like this and had good success, remember transition lines.

This may sound stupid but it is good to put orange tape on the trail you entered because it is so easy to get lost in very think woods in the night.
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Thanks guys. I know they go through when they get bumped, but I wasn't sure if they used regular trails through it. I was scouting following a rub line just below the steep edge of a hill so I figured I was following where the thermals and wind meet. Then I got to a really thick power line maybe 60 yards wide that runs down the entire hill. The only thing was there was only one spot that seemed like a buck could make it through without fighting branches within a reasonable distance but it was a good 75 yards downhill from the elevation I was following the rub line. I'm pretty sure I found a buck bed not too far from that power line and this is where I'm hoping to ambush him next year so I'm trying to figure out if I should set up high or move downhill to what seems to me like the more usable trail. I'm not sure if I missed a trail that crossed and went down the hill, and I'm not sure if the bucks would really travel through at the higher elevation unpressured. I guess I'm getting redundant and I'm hopefully gonna make it out when the weather breaks and the ground softens to check for his tracks anyway.

Spysar - When you say you seen them get through stuff like that was it from being pressured or were they traveling through it unpressured?
Brandon
500 Club

Unread postby Brandon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:39 am

around here typical bedding for deer, bucks does... is what we call 'cutovers'. See most woods have been logged at some time, and the replanted trees that are saplings, and cover acres are basically a very easy safe zone for any critter. the trees are 2-3 inches around, and 6 inches apart.... very hard to walk, no treestand, no ground blind, noisy, etc. An average joe wouldnt think a monster could walk, much less RUN in crap like that.. but its a peice of cake for a deer.
You can't kill em on the couch

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”