Big rubs, bedding, patterns a trail cameras

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ahepler2188

Big rubs, bedding, patterns a trail cameras

Unread postby Ahepler2188 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:43 pm

post season scouting has been a good time this year. I've found a few areas that seem like they will produce. However I haven't found many areas that seem like they are holding any large buck except one. I've mentioned it before. I actually went checking it out on the last day of any kind of deer season here and I found a large tree that had just started to be rubbed. It's a 10 inch tree that is rubbed a foot from the ground all the way up to about 4 ft. First time I saw it I was a few scratches now the branches are shredded off the tree and the branches that remain above are shined clean as well. There are huge scrapes in multiple areas within 150-200 yards of the bedding area. Prolly about 10 of them all the same size 6ft long by 4 ft wide. There are 5-6 beds in the swamp he seems to be living in. There are ag fields on private ground adjacent and oak on the other side...all times I've scouted the wind is going the same direction over the bedding area. I have some ideas for access. I don't however own any trail cameras. What tips do you have for patterning without them. Even if I did have one this wouldn't be an area I would want to leave one for multiple reasons

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Big rubs, bedding, patterns a trail cameras

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:17 pm

Its not a tactic I use here in the northeast due to the thick terrain and cover...but do some searching on observation sits. Lots of guys choose sets where they can observe those beds and then use those observations to make their moves.
Johnboy

Unread postby Johnboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:13 am

Observation sets are well worth the time you put on the stand. I hunt in very rough mountainous terrain so it's hard for me to put up a lot of cameras ,if any at all. I might get one out per 500-1000 acre public. #1 it gets difficult to go back and check in the summer or during season. #2 By the time I check them, prime hunting time for the bucks on camera is gone. One good thing is over the past few years my scouting has gotten better and I depend upon that more than my cameras now. I don't have huge bucks where I hunt so when I see great sign I pretty much know a big deer is in the area. I have come close to buying the cell type cameras but just can't justify the price yet! Too tight!!
Ahepler2188

Unread postby Ahepler2188 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:31 am

I think observation stands are a great idea...I just am trying to figure out how to sit without being seen. The lands around this area is large but the section that there is deff a big buck in is a wedge across a road from the main block. if u think of it as a long narrow triangle
With a swamp right in the middle and walking roads on either side of the swamp. I'm pretty sure the area he is bedding in is over looked because most of the stands and people sign is over his scrapes or along field edges well away from the beds. I'm almost considering getting as close as I think I can to his bed with a shot to the trail I think he uses as an escape. And possibly have someone wind bump him out of his bed

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”