How to Identify a Deer Bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Octang
500 Club

Re: How to Identify a Deer Bed

Unread postby Octang » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:06 pm

dan wrote:
Octang wrote:This thread has been exceptionally helpful!

I found this bed a few weeks ago on the edge of some really thick shrubs. You can see the shrub behind the bed in the photo, however upon walking around the bed there are multiple other bedding spots leaning up against the same shrub. Is this doe bedding because there are multiple beds? Or could/would a buck use the same shrub as a backdrop to face different directions depending on the wind?

Thats buck bedding... The bushes are against the back. Wind over the obstacle. A doe group would be a little more open with each doe lokking a different direction. Does will bed in buck beds sometimes, but those are buck beds.

Awesome thanks! As a general rule - I can assume if there is something up against the back of the bed then it is a buck bed?

(Seriously, I've learned more in the few months that I've been on this forum than my past 20 years since I first stepped in the woods)

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:37 pm

I can assume if there is something up against the back of the bed then it is a buck bed?

Yes... As a rule solitary animals bed to watch out for themselves. A group of deer (does) bed in a circle each covering a different direction. Does by themselves, or in small numbers sometimes bed in buck beds when bucks are not present. But, there still buck beds.
dglee4

Unread postby dglee4 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:37 am

This is one of the best threads for a newbie with all the details being laid out for finding beds. I enjoyed it very much.
H2archer

Unread postby H2archer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:54 am

dglee4 wrote:This is one of the best threads for a newbie with all the details being laid out for finding beds. I enjoyed it very much.

agreed. very informative post.
H2archer

Unread postby H2archer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:01 am

I found this bed a few weeks ago on the edge of some really thick shrubs. You can see the shrub behind the bed in the photo, however upon walking around the bed there are multiple other bedding spots leaning up against the same shrub. Is this doe bedding because there are multiple beds? Or could/would a buck use the same shrub as a backdrop to face different directions depending on the wind?

If your location didn't say Wisconsin I'd swear this was one of the beds I found accidentally last year lol looks EXACTLY the same. same kind of shrub and grass... I actually managed through dumb luck to stumble on, and set up within about 60 yards of a decent buck bedded there. It was a very windy day, I was sitting in my climber at about 4pm in early october and heard a branch snap behind me, turn around and see antlers rubbing on the shrub... then the outline of the buck laying there attached to the antlers appeared. I watched him til about 30 minutes before dark when he got up and slowly made his off in the other direction. very cool experience.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:32 pm

H2archer wrote:

If your location didn't say Wisconsin I'd swear this was one of the beds I found accidentally last year lol looks EXACTLY the same. same kind of shrub and grass... I actually managed through dumb luck to stumble on, and set up within about 60 yards of a decent buck bedded there. It was a very windy day, I was sitting in my climber at about 4pm in early october and heard a branch snap behind me, turn around and see antlers rubbing on the shrub... then the outline of the buck laying there attached to the antlers appeared. I watched him til about 30 minutes before dark when he got up and slowly made his off in the other direction. very cool experience.

Very cool! :mrgreen:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”