Question about bedding on points

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cornfedkiller
500 Club

Question about bedding on points

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:17 pm

Since it looks like this thread was lost (and I wasnt able to read any of the replies since this morning), I'll ask again, and hopefully you guys can answer again.

In the marsh bucks dvd, or when I see an aerial photo in marsh country that Dan or someone else has marked, they always have potential beds on the points that jut out into the marsh. I was always under the impression that the deer were bedding out in the swamp (on an island or something), and then returning to the main land via a point, so your best chance of intercepting them is on a point. I was looking at an aerial photo of my land that Dan marked for potential beds, and I noticed he placed dots on all of the points that jut out into the ponds or lakes, which makes me re-think the way I was thinking about points.

If the deer are bedding on the ends of points (sometimes small peninsulas), why do they bed there? Why does that appeal to a deer? I can understand nothing being able to sneak up from behind them, and being able to smell anything coming towards them, but I would think there wouldnt be much of an escape route..

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Question about bedding on points

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Generally the beds are not actually on the point itself. They are either right on the transition line, or a little ways into the marsh. I think there are several reasons they bed off of points. Its safer to have marsh on three sides and hard ground in only one direction. There is also generally some high spots around the ends of points that are dry enough for beds. And lastly, points act as natural funnels for deer movment, and if deer move thry a certain area of cattails or bedding brush more than other areas they are likely to bed more there.
There may be other reasons, and maybe Im off on my thinking. But I do know that its a prefered place to bed. ;)
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks Dan..

So they only bed near these points when there is marsh behind them?

They dont bed there if behind them is just open water (no transition - just woods to water)? A couple places you marked on the aerial photo of my land are like that (some are hard to tell thats what it is), so it just made me wonder if they were bedding on the ends of these points that just jut out into the water..
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Not only can they smell anything coming towards them but if they are off the mainland a little bit they also eliminate the possibility for any predators on the mainland to smell them, at least on that side of the marsh. I haven't found a whole lot of beds myself as I'm pretty much a novice with this type of hunting but the ones I've found have been in good cover or very close to good cover. Also I know deer swim very well, but I doubt its a prefered method of escape to swim very far.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:05 pm

cornfedkiller wrote:Thanks Dan..

So they only bed near these points when there is marsh behind them?

They dont bed there if behind them is just open water (no transition - just woods to water)? A couple places you marked on the aerial photo of my land are like that (some are hard to tell thats what it is), so it just made me wonder if they were bedding on the ends of these points that just jut out into the water..

The points ending in open water are a lot less likely to have bedding. How about posting that map on this thread or a link to it.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:18 am

http://huntingbeast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1769

The spots Im specifically talking about are on the far right of the property, and on the bottom corner of the property line running east/west. Also, on the top left of the property, where all those points jut out into that marshy looking stuff. That marsh stuff is tall cattails with a few feet of water in the bottom..not sure if that makes a difference.

There is also a topo in that thread. Is there not enough topography for them to be using ridges for bedding like they do in hill country? I guess I dont know how hilly is has to be..
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:11 am

When deer bed on these points what is the wind doing? Is the wind blowing off the dry land and they are bedded facing the marsh? so they are watching the open ground and smelling the stuff that is too thick to see through? or do I have it backwards?
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:39 am

Dan I have a quick question on points too. Do you tend to find the bucks are bedding on or just off the point more in early season when the leaves are up? Then once the leaves drop and they experience some pressure they move back in the swamp a little more?

I kind of get the feeling last year that I blew some bucks off their beds going too far back in early in the year.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:23 am

BackWoodsHunter wrote:When deer bed on these points what is the wind doing? Is the wind blowing off the dry land and they are bedded facing the marsh? so they are watching the open ground and smelling the stuff that is too thick to see through? or do I have it backwards?

In marshes a lot of the bedding is not wind related, but rather sound related. When the beds are real close to the high land they are generally bedding with the wind blowing down the point into the thick crap and the buck is facing the wooded point, this is especially true when you find the bed is in a position that he can see from the thick onto the woods... The bucks usually face the woods, or a better way of putting it is they face the direction that danger will most likely arrive. If its dry enough behind them for coyotes or other critters/people to sneak in, and quiet enough to sneak in, they will face down wind though...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:25 am

headgear wrote:Dan I have a quick question on points too. Do you tend to find the bucks are bedding on or just off the point more in early season when the leaves are up? Then once the leaves drop and they experience some pressure they move back in the swamp a little more?

I kind of get the feeling last year that I blew some bucks off their beds going too far back in early in the year.

Yes... Mostly due to pressure. But I find that a lot of the true mature bucks bed deep in the marsh all year. But some do move farther when the pressure rises. Another reason they bed right off those points early season is because of acorns dropping in the woods early season near those points.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:21 am

dan wrote:
BackWoodsHunter wrote:When deer bed on these points what is the wind doing? Is the wind blowing off the dry land and they are bedded facing the marsh? so they are watching the open ground and smelling the stuff that is too thick to see through? or do I have it backwards?

In marshes a lot of the bedding is not wind related, but rather sound related. When the beds are real close to the high land they are generally bedding with the wind blowing down the point into the thick crap and the buck is facing the wooded point, this is especially true when you find the bed is in a position that he can see from the thick onto the woods... The bucks usually face the woods, or a better way of putting it is they face the direction that danger will most likely arrive. If its dry enough behind them for coyotes or other critters/people to sneak in, and quiet enough to sneak in, they will face down wind though...

So its really a gamble when you sneak in to hunt unless you have the spot well scouted? Could water levels change the way the buck faces, for example in a year of drought and marsh approach is drier they may face differently than if the water levels were higher than average and the marsh water is deep?

THanks dan! I'm having fun digging through the old posts I started on page 50 and working my way back...lots of good info scattered through these pages
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:25 pm

So its really a gamble when you sneak in to hunt unless you have the spot well scouted?
Yes... If you have not looked at the buck beds your guessing rather than knowing.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:34 pm

dan wrote:
So its really a gamble when you sneak in to hunt unless you have the spot well scouted?
Yes... If you have not looked at the buck beds your guessing rather than knowing.

Lets say you looked at them and it was clear while you were there...now you are devising a plan and its blurry is it too late in the season to go back and take a second look?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:57 am

Lets say you looked at them and it was clear while you were there...now you are devising a plan and its blurry is it too late in the season to go back and take a second look?

Its never "too late"... The point is, the more times you invade the bedding area the less safe a buck will feel bedding there. If you need more intel go in there now and get it. Just keep in mind that every entry into the bedding area does some damage. Less is better. When you go in during the spring you should attempt to get everything you need and take notes if needed.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:30 pm

I'm going in 2 weekends from now to pick apart the area and pick my trees!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”