Hunting across from the Lee.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Hunting across from the Lee.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:52 am

In a few of the spots i hunt the thermal tunnel is on the bottom third of the hill not sure why but thats where the main trail is. About 2.3rds down the hill.

It could be that it is so steep that is the easiest walking path while the buck still catching the thermal i have yet to know exactly why its a bit lower. Most ridges i find it right on the top 1.3rd but theres 2 places i hunt its slightly lower.

How would wind and thermals react if setup on the west facing ridge but being in such steep terrain a bowshot could be made over a creek onto the lee side thermal tunnel about 35 yards away?

Would the wind flow up and away. Or get sucked down into the creek area and just swirl?

I have yet to take milkweed to this spot to check it out.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Jeff G
500 Club

Re: Hunting across from the Lee.

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:18 am

The thermal tunnel sets up lower on the leeward side in the morning. In my observations in hill country I see big bucks cruising on the lower 1/3 elevation. As the day progresses during rut i see the cursing move up the hill as thermals kick in.

Gun I find a tree that I can cover top and bottom, bow I find a tree lower to the bottom third in the a.m.. Afternoon I am higher on the hillside.

I would choose a stand lower on the leeward side and not across the valley. Reason being I would not want my scent all over the bottom for when thermals kick in and draw that scent pool up the hillside. I would rather be just above on the leeward side and kill them as they approach. My stand would be on a just off wind so they would never know I was there.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:37 am

Brown dot buck bed
Red line buck trail
Red compass arrow points north.
Black dot setup possibly?

I dont think a higher trail exist off this point if so it is not noticible. Futher down by the end of the buck trail their is a higher trail.

If i hunt below on lee side i would be basicly sitting in a tree about 5 yards west by the creek. And my stand at 20 foot would be about the same height as the bucks trail. So hunt at the bucks eye level?
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:55 am

Assuming north is the top of the map. I would be just west, kinda northwest of your stand site selection. Looks like the bucks J hooks into that bed. If he takes the red trail, you can connect with him on a just off wind, he will not smell you before you shoot him. also by placing yourself on the other side of the red trail, you are putting yourself in a spot to possibly connect with a buck that might bed on the other point.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:56 am

put the stand up as high as you can get so the prevailing winds have the best chance of grabbing your scent.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:59 am

Depends on when your hunting. Daytime your thermals are rising most of the day, but as soon as evening casts a shadow across your hill your therm's will drop. You also might get wind swirls in that spot, especially if its steep.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:04 am

This black dot during the rising thermals? Lower by creek in falling thermals?
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:20 am

I like the idea of setting up across a ditch or ravine, have done that before too. Make sure to USE A RANGEFINDER SHOOTING ACROSS VOIDS LIKE THAT THEY MAKE DISTANCES DECEIVING I know from experiance :lol:

The cool think about setting up with a ditch between you and the target area, it often acts as a partition as far as thermal activity. Falling thermals will be drawn down the ditch past the deer (as long as he isn't crossing it). Rising thermals will come up out of the ditch and push uphill away from the ditch. Not often you can find setups that work for both falling and rising thermals like that.

Winds can still get swirly down low like that but if there is little to no wind you can get really consistent and safe air currents from the thermals.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:36 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Image

This black dot during the rising thermals? Lower by creek in falling thermals?

that's what I would do. The creek acts as a funnel as well.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:02 am

Thanks so much for the help im still getting used to setups.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”