Above or below

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

CHMJ0914

Above or below

Unread postby CHMJ0914 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:31 am

Where is the best place to hunt the thermal tunnel? Above or below?

Use your reason, but trust in god.
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Above or below

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:09 am

Here is a good read on that.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34869

I think on the leeward side of the hill the general consensus says to: Hunt below the trail or bed in the morning. Hunt above the bed or trail in the evenings. I'm don't think that's cut & dried though. each situation could be different.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 pm

I am only few seasons into fully committing to playing thermals. Thanks to a few guys on here helping me learn I find myself setting up above them more often due to more day / evening hunting. Someone on here taught me to use draws to disperse scent and I'm never felt more confident in my sets. I tested hunting in work shoes like Dan talks about, I was actually going to do a write up on it but here is fine.
Evening of Oct 10th I was going to one of my best spots I scouted. First time in this place and forgot my boots. Grabbed the shoes, each have x2 holes in the sides. I setup at the upper deer trail of a draw, between bedding. I threw milk weed all night and right when the thermals started switching I had x10 deer total come in. x2 fawns right under me licking chew spit and x3 mature does in front of me. Then the thermals really dropped and bucks came out of all caliber. Moving all in front and around me. I actually lost a buck that night who crossed in front of me twice before the shot. All of them moved through that draw, I was in shock
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:27 am

Above. I hunt as high as i can get to ensure my scent is sucked into the winds and moved out of the area.
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:42 am

tgreeno wrote:Here is a good read on that.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34869

I think on the leeward side of the hill the general consensus says to: Hunt below the trail or bed in the morning. Hunt above the bed or trail in the evenings. I'm don't think that's cut & dried though. each situation could be different.

Thought it was just the opposite. Thermals rising in morning so hunt high and dropping in evening so hunt low.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:59 am

moog5050 wrote:
tgreeno wrote:Here is a good read on that.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=34869

Thought it was just the opposite. Thermals rising in morning so hunt high and dropping in evening so hunt low.

For sure listen to Jeff G! He really heIped me get into the game! I agree w tgreeno, every situation is different and every spot in the woods is different. Both of these statements are correct but it depends on what your attack is for that specific deer. In the mornings, yes they rise, but it really isnt as noticeable until "primetime" is over. It takes a just bit to get moving good upward in the morning, plus you probably are planning to see that buck during grey light anyways. To me, the mornings are tough bc you are setting up lower elevations, the sun isnt up yet, and the wind/thermals get really tough to predict. Plus, he comes in slightly different every day so being in the correct spot and beating him is very tough, but so fun!

The evening thermals seem have the bottom drop out compared to the slow start they get in the am. This is where setting up below deer trail, for a the later evening hunt can be effective. I personally do not like climbing down and moving, some guys have had excellent success. Unless I see something that tells me to adjust, im setting up on the 1/3 elevation for afternoon hunts and im staying there

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”