Using the color of sheds to confirm direction a buck faces in his bed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Using the color of sheds to confirm direction a buck faces in his bed

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:36 pm

My brother just found a real nice 10-point set of sheds last weekend. They were both within a couple feet of each other and laying with the tines up so the outside of the beams were facing the ground. They were more than likely dropped on a travel route or where the buck was milling around because there was no bedding in this particular area and we know they were freshly dropped because there was still some red/pink coloration on the bottom of the antlers that hadn't dried or gotten washed off yet.

What was really interesting as we examined them, was that the outside of the buck's right side was noticeably whiter than the outside of the left antler. This isn't unique later in the shed hunting season when antlers lay out in the sun, they will get whiter. But as I mentioned, both sides were within feet of each other, and both sides were laying with tines up (outside of the main beams against the ground) so even if the sun did shine on them, this particular surface of the antlers wouldn't have been affected.

So the only thing we can figure is that the right antler had to have been exposed to more sun than the left while it was still on his head. And more than likely, while he was in his bed. :shock: We look for sheds on south-facing slopes since the sun shines the most on those slopes. If you think about it, if a buck was bedding facing EAST (with the predominant west wind blowing over his back), that would make the right side of his body and rack south facing which would receive the most direct sunlight. :o

If that's the case with these sheds, that's really awesome to see some additional evidence to determine what direction a buck is facing in his bed. I'm hoping to be able to locate exactly where he's bedding and I'm going to be looking for a spot that has a lot of direct sunlight. :mrgreen:

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Using the color of sheds to confirm direction a buck faces in his bed

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:41 pm

Interesting for sure. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:42 am

Good observation!

I killed a buck in our late Flintlock season a few years back...One antler is significantly darker than the other. In this case, his left antler was the light one. The other side is very dark red/brown. Is particularly light ahead on the g3.

This year's flintlock buck is very similar. Same thing. Left side has a distinct color change right at the G2... Bases are actually very dark.

Sun is certainly a factor to antler color. I do a lot of late season hunting... post Christmas. I noticed that I see a lot more lighter colored racks...Figured that was just sun/weathering of them. Little to no foliage means more sun on them. Cold weather sets in and I've seen them spend more time on south facing slopes where the sun shines.

Bucks I kill in areas with pine/hemlock are usually darker and have more interesting color to them.

Still hunting for a chocolate racked beast. I think I will find him in the Michigan lowlands I hunted this passed season.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:12 am

Huh interesting...that or maybe he just liked rubbing one side of his rack :think:

I do see individual bucks favor certain type of trees. I'm not aware that it has been proved scientifically why some bucks have dark antlers and others have white in a single area but I tend to think it is just the buck's preference of trees.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:39 am

I shot a descent 8 this year in the middle of a giant CRP grass field (several miles long by aprox. 1 mile wide) with the whitest horns I've ever seen. I have no idea if there is any relation or not, but I somewhat think always walking through the tall grass sort of polished the antlers and kept them white! Anyone else noticed something similar before? It was a new place to me so I'm not sure if he was one of a kind or that's the norm in the field.
Nocturnal
500 Club

Unread postby Nocturnal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:12 am

This is interesting. I too thought the colors of the antlers were by the trees they rubbed.. But I have seen seen bucks in thick cedars country with ghostly white racks. I'm sure there is some truth to it.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:31 am

I always thought the color of the horns were a factor of genetics or what they ate and rubbed on. I also didn't think that the horns would bleach out from the sun while still attached. I could definitely be wrong about all of that though.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:14 pm

This reminds me of a conversation that I had with someone not to long ago. They said they could tell what bucks spent most of their time on their land by the color of their racks. Racks from the surrounding areas or landowners were darker.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:19 pm

I think it was this forum. Someone had a thread about shooting bucks in large areas of phargmites. Their racks were really polished and some had worn marks from their racks brushing up against the phragmites. I read bucks prefer to lay their head one way when bedded.The side that was lower tended to grow a bit bigger because of blood flow. It was proved in a deer pen where they could be observed.
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I think it was this forum. Someone had a thread about shooting bucks in large areas of phargmites. Their racks were really polished and some had worn marks from their racks brushing up against the phragmites. I read bucks prefer to lay their head one way when bedded.The side that was lower tended to grow a bit bigger because of blood flow. It was proved in a deer pen where they could be observed.

This is very interesting. What are your thoughts on how a buck holds his head. Tilted away from the side hill or nearby tree etc.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”