Marking stand trees

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GreatWhiteOak

Marking stand trees

Unread postby GreatWhiteOak » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:13 am

Just got back from a scouting trip found two stand sites but not sure the best way to mark the trees I want to hunt out of. I had a spot last year that i marked with a single bright eye didn't get to hunt it but went in after the season and someone had taking it. So what do you guys do mark specific trees to hunt out of in the fall. One a side more I hunt public land so trying to be as secretive as possible.

Josh_S
500 Club

Re: Marking stand trees

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:23 am

I recently started marking stand trees on my handheld GPS. This helps with access as well. I mark it as "Lone Wolf" or "Climber" so that I know which stand is more suitable to throw in the truck.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:25 am

GPS and memory for me, I mark a few notes in my scouting journal too and take a picture to help jog my memory...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:26 am

I don't...but I would guess a GPS would be the best.

I need to get me one of those!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:39 am

Josh_S wrote:I recently started marking stand trees on my handheld GPS. This helps with access as well. I mark it as "Lone Wolf" or "Climber" so that I know which stand is more suitable to throw in the truck.

Same exact thing I do. Also add notes in my gps data for best wind directions as well.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:47 am

Gps, log in the journal, black or brown paracord and a picture. For morning stand sites I'll switch the paracord to one with a reflective strip in it. Also the paracord is tied around the tree where the stand needs to be placed, knot where the v bracket goes. Only times the paracord is used for visual is the am sits, you can't see the evening sits even when looking hard for it and knowing its there
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:42 am

I mark mine at stand height with a strip of orange surveyor tape. I tack the tape to the tree with a few reflective tacks. My GPS gets me n and out.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:57 am

GPS for me. I need to hide my trees from my family members. Learned that the hard way.

Might try the reflective paracord for some of the swamp spots I am looking at where I am not really worried about somebody finding my spot. Will still use the gps cause it never lies.

That being said, I always mark a couple routes with tacks. Nice to see some dishonest people get turned around in a nice thorny raspberry patch or get a nice swamp dunk opening day. Probably pretty low of me to do, but I have had lots of issues in the past using surveyors tape and tacks.

My one exception to this is my gun spot. I have the last couple hundred yards lined with tacks for safety purposes. I put the tacks up friday and pulled them down monday. Nasty area to walk through and nobody ever goes down there.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:48 am

Access route is GPS or memory. If it's big woods, tree is marked at stand height as well. I don't tack route or human height anymore.
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:03 pm

Like the others said, GPS will get you pretty close. Also a reflective trail marker and red light better than anything iv found.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:48 am

Nite Ize Reflective Nylon Cord, Woven for High Strength, 50 Feet, Green https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MMEHTC/re ... TybDQFZ3NE

Cut it about 6" lengths and burn the ends. very discreet during daylight. Lights up like crazy at night.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Octoberjohn

Unread postby Octoberjohn » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:55 am

For all of my trees here close to home I can usually get pretty close without any type of aid. I guess I have a decent sense of direction. Another thing that I like to do is get a couple of larger branches that have fallen and make an X against a tree that is close to where I want to set up(never at the exact tree). If this is done correctly nobody would ever even look twice at this and think it means anything. But it can really help as once you find that landmark then you can get to your tree really quickly.

On a side note I was amazed at the amount of glow in the dark tacks/tape/ and whatever else that I found on my hunt in Iowa this past fall. I guess its one thing to put a few up to keep you on the right track, but a couple of the trails I use to get into where I was hunting would light up like a Christmas tree on the walk in in the morning. I didn't follow any of them to see if they led to stand sites but with as much marking material as there was in the woods there must have been 20 stands back in there.
GreatWhiteOak

Unread postby GreatWhiteOak » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:14 am

I have a GPS so I'll use that to get close. I do like the paracord idea and the tape at stand height plus the X made with sticks. I'll be trying these on the next trip Thanks for all the good ideas or anymore that might get posted.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:59 am

I have never needed anything in the past. Just my memory and years of walking thru the woods in the dark. But I've never had more than 8-10 spots total. Now this year, I've doubled that already. And still have alot of scouting to do. So I'm thinking about investing into a cheap GPS just for plotting stand positions & access routes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:13 pm

I mark the tree on my gps. I use abbreviations in the title of my gps. Also if it needs a little trimming I add in the word saw so I make sure I pack one on my maiden hunting voyage. I also add in preferred wind direction.

Ex. Vipersw or lwsawne

I guess if I slowed down a bit and made better notes I could make it a little more precise like Dewey mentioned.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”