your longest or most brutal drags?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

Re: your longest or most brutal drags?

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:02 pm

stash59 wrote:About 3 miles. 2 helpers though, but no sled or cart. Plus it was on the top of a long slightly higher ridge through the swamp. On a very, very old tote road. It was actually shorter to go another way, but that involved swamp, marsh, creek crossing and super thick spots.

Lou I feel your pain. For some reason an elk hind quarter feels tougher than a whole deer. Even when on flat ground. As far as elk go. An 80-100 pound pack full of elk meat up and down over a couple miles is still pretty brutal.

I went with a co-worker/buddy on a lion hunt. He killed a 135# tom. He gave out real fast, then his son gave out pretty quick. So I put it on my shoulders. That's just what you do with a cougar. They're easier than a deer that way. They seem more flexible and bend around your neck easier. Then carried it out the rest of the way. About 3/4 of a mile, but down the really nasty, rocky, steep, slippery part. I was 32 at the time. It felt great cause I was the flat lander in the bunch.

Stash, I wasn't dragging a quarter, I was dragging two, the hinds. My cousin had the fronts, and the loins, tenderloins, and heart in his pack. And I would love to haul a mtn lion out someday- very cool. I was also 32 at the time

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:57 pm

My worst drag ever wasn't my deer, it was my buddy's 8 or out of the swamp. Took 3 1/2 hours to drag Jim 300 yds with 2 guys, one of which is 6'5" and 350 lbs.
Anyways, the drag consisted of cutting across the swamp where every step I sank down past my knees. It took forever to get the buck across the swamp, then drag him up a small hill of thick brush before finally getting to the road where the truck was parked. No drag rope. Each guy aside of the rack.
It was a short drag that was a pain but it was worth every minute seeing my buddy grinning from ear to ear. It was his first good buck with the bow.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:37 am

Uncle Lou wrote:
stash59 wrote:About 3 miles. 2 helpers though, but no sled or cart. Plus it was on the top of a long slightly higher ridge through the swamp. On a very, very old tote road. It was actually shorter to go another way, but that involved swamp, marsh, creek crossing and super thick spots.

Lou I feel your pain. For some reason an elk hind quarter feels tougher than a whole deer. Even when on flat ground. As far as elk go. An 80-100 pound pack full of elk meat up and down over a couple miles is still pretty brutal.

I went with a co-worker/buddy on a lion hunt. He killed a 135# tom. He gave out real fast, then his son gave out pretty quick. So I put it on my shoulders. That's just what you do with a cougar. They're easier than a deer that way. They seem more flexible and bend around your neck easier. Then carried it out the rest of the way. About 3/4 of a mile, but down the really nasty, rocky, steep, slippery part. I was 32 at the time. It felt great cause I was the flat lander in the bunch.

Stash, I wasn't dragging a quarter, I was dragging two, the hinds. My cousin had the fronts, and the loins, tenderloins, and heart in his pack. And I would love to haul a mtn lion out someday- very cool. I was also 32 at the time

Man you must'a drawn the short stick!!!!!!! That would be brutal.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
keepthefevercalls

Unread postby keepthefevercalls » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:55 am

Shot my first this year and it was a 2 mile drag deep on public..had to call my dad, couldn't handle it on my own. Was mostly uphill on the way out in some of the nastiest stuff I have seen. Call me crazy but I'm going back there this year!
Hook's Custom Calls Pro-Staff

Romans 3:24
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:13 am

I live and hunt in South Alabama, so I know it's probably different in other states, but we pack our deer out. I take a small light weight pack and a knife with me and quarter my deer on the spot. It's very fast and makes the pack out super easy!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:25 am

Us lucky guys in Wisconsin have to bring everything but the guts. Out with us when on public land. Whether we drag or pack it. Other northern states are this way too. I consider you guys down there very lucky dogs!!!! :doh: :lol:
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:08 pm

Haha!!! Man that's crazy!! You boys are tough!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:14 pm

Get Dan's videos. Not only full of great tactics and knowledge. But also have some comical yet tough drag out footage!!!! :mrgreen:
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:04 pm

My toughest drag ever was the 275 # buck I shot in North Dakota and drug it back to Wisconsin. Most of the hair was gone when I got home. Then I had to walk back to get my truck.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:38 pm

magicman54494 wrote:My toughest drag ever was the 275 # buck I shot in North Dakota and drug it back to Wisconsin. Most of the hair was gone when I got home. Then I had to walk back to get my truck.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :doh: :doh: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GoInLight

Unread postby GoInLight » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:50 am

Now that is Beast hunting!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:57 am

stash59 wrote:Get Dan's videos. Not only full of great tactics and knowledge. But also have some comical yet tough drag out footage!!!! :mrgreen:

I saw deja vu during the chasing down a dream video from this year. Walking in the water in your underwear. Been there, done that, got waders.

Had to drag a doe for my dad he shot across a river. This was before I was old enough to hunt. Instead of walking back a mile to the truck and driving back 5 miles to get some waders, I manned up, stripped down and walked across the river. Walked over, grabbed the doe and dragged it back across the river. Let me tell you something, thorns suck when you aren't wearing pants. It was maybe 50' of walking past the river so I figured why waste time dressing and undressing. Big mistake

Wasn't a brutal drag cause once we got it out of the bottom and up the cliff, we had an atv waiting for us since it was after dark. But man water is cold during gun season up here.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
swampyak
500 Club

Unread postby swampyak » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:15 pm

One year I had over 18 hrs retrieving 3 animals. The farthest was a 12 yr old bear almost 5 miles from the nearest road

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”