"Give'em the wind"????

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ol'DanBoone

"Give'em the wind"????

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:16 pm

Ive been reading and watching adam hayes here lately. He says that you "almost have to give the buck the wind". What does he mean, what is 'giving him the wind'? I nean, ive read other guys who talk about hunting a wind that is 'almost wrong', is this the same thing??? How much so are you supposed to??? Im just not quite getting the vision here. Thanks in advance.

Dewey

Re: "Give'em the wind"????

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:31 pm

We call that a just off wind here. Many times you have to give a buck a slight advantage to get him in range during daylight. Were talking sometimes a few yards between busting you or your scent just missing him. It's a risk but pays off really good sometimes. Milkweed is so important for this so you know exactly where you will get busted.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Basically what Dewey said, most mature bucks put themselves in positions that you cannot easily set up to hunt them without your wind blowing to him. Between thermals, wind swirls or him walking into the wind from bedding.

Also there are almost always satellite beds or does bedded nearby and if they catch your wind it's also game over. So it's flirting a thin line between success and wasting your time, which is why some guys stress so hard over picking the right tree to hunt from.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:41 am

This is how I always set up. I know their travel or bedding and setup so they just miss my wind and it don't always work out. Deer don't always follow the script neither does the wind
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:52 am

tim wrote:This is how I always set up. I know their travel or bedding and setup so they just miss my wind and it don't always work out. Deer don't always follow the script neither does the wind

Great points Tim... I have a lot of people tell me they tried a just off wind but got busted so they quit doing it... Well, you can't win the lottery if you don't play, and you need to push the envelope if you want to kill big bucks regularly. If your not busting the occasional big buck and heading home cursing your set up and hanging your head on the occasional bad hunt, your not pushing that envelope close enough...

Guys see the success people like me and others have on this site, but what you don't see is all the failures... You gotta fail occasionally to succeed occasionally... Playing it safe is like sitting in the bleachers. You there to play? or to watch?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:00 am

More people get busted before they even knew they were busted.
Say that 5-times fast.

Swirling winds and thermal effects can be devastating...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:49 am

But still guys, what does it mean?? What exactly is it?? I would ask somebody to draw me a diagram lol. Instead though, ill throw a hypotheitical situation out there, yall tell me if what im thinking is right. You setting just south of a trail, expecting the deer to approach from the west: does this mean youd hunt a NW wind??? Or maybe some slight variance?? Sorry in advance, im just tryin to really grasp the concept.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:51 am

If you listen to his podcast, he talks about hunting with the wrong wind. Meaning, he hunts a bedding area, wind blowing into the woods, field in front of him. But he is setup just off from where the deer is traveling so the deer has wind to his favor and almost an unfavorable wind for him.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”