To scout or to shed hunt... that is the question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetail_addict

To scout or to shed hunt... that is the question

Unread postby whitetail_addict » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:33 am

So the past few years I've really developed my shed hunting skills to the point where I find enough of them to make it addicting and very time consuming at this time of the year. Enough to where I don't get much scouting in either.

I guess I know the benefits of scouting this time of year and know I need to add to my spots but I just can't seem to break away from the allure of finding sheds every winter/spring.

Obviously a lot of guys do both but with kids and work and all that fun stuff I've only got so much time. When you don't hunt the same manicured farms and stands year after year I think it's a little tougher to do both and spend all that time looking for sheds.

Any advice on how to break away from the shed addiction and spend more of that free time solely scouting?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: To scout or to shed hunt... that is the question

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:58 am

Life is short do what you want to do, not what you think you need to do.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:04 am

I agree with Stanley, do what makes you happy. Personally I would rather have the antlers on top of a buck I killed, so I would go with scouting. However lots of people think I'm crazy that I like to scout more than hunt! So do what you like.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:18 am

I used to walk a ton to find sheds. I have a pile of them. We don't have the best shed hunting around here because not many bucks survive. This is the first year I'm more focused on scouting and feel I'm way more ahead this off season than I've ever been. You could go your whole life around here and never find a shed off a 4.5 year old. I've walked hundreds of miles the past 15 years looking and have only found a few from mature bucks. Most I find are from yearlings. I agree with Stanley, do what makes you happy.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:01 am

I like to scout only. Every once in awhile I happen to stumble onto a shed and always enjoy finding them but can't see spending time just looking for them. Time is valuable and prime scouting only lasts so long. I would rather be focussing on scouting but that's just me. Do whatever you enjoy.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:41 am

I'm scouting as I'm shed hunting, I also save some spots to take my boys with me. Works well if it's only a three or four mile walk. If you ask one of my boys what we're looking for they will tell you "sheds, beds, rubs and scrapes". They enjoy being with me and I like getting them out in the woods every chance I get.

I had my youngest son get tired a few weeks ago while we we were about 2 miles from the truck. He said he was just going to sit on that log until the next day. I knew I wasn't going to try to carry him out from there so I told him that if he sat right there after until dark the coyotes would eat him. He jumped right up and stayed on my heels the whole walk out. :handgestures-thumbupright:
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
sbeasley

Unread postby sbeasley » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:11 am

I found 3 a few weeks ago on public - all of them in or near the beds. That's where the bucks spend a lot of time right? Seems like you do both at the same time. I'm talking hill country anyway.
bigbucks1234

Unread postby bigbucks1234 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:49 pm

I know exactly what you are going through w addict. Your torn on what you should be doing, you know you should be scouting but can't resist the temptation of picking up tines!! I come to realize shed hunting makes me happy so I'm no longer going to feel guilty doing it versus scouting. Life IS just to short. This last Tuesday I was out and found three on heavily hunted public. One of which measured 69 inches. I absolutely love it!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:04 am

I let my cams tell me if im going to spend any time looking for sheds if the deer im interested in made it through the season. otherwise im scouting and keeping an eye out for sheds

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”