What is your weapon of choice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

What is your weapon of choice

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:41 pm

OK the cross bow thread inspired me to take this further. First off this is the Hunting Beast, not the archery Beast, or the shotgun Beast, or the muzzleloader Beast, or rifle Beast, etc, etc..

I read a few responses that made it clear their weapon of choice but what inspires that choice. The challenge?

If so, what is your weapon of choice. I know we have mostly hardcore hunters on this site that love to challenge themselves and are as dedicated as they come.

So what is your weapon of choice and why do you choose that way or weapon.

I'll start, I am all weapon and I love and enjoy the hunt. I also like to take my own animals and eat them, and share them with others.

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
muddy

Re: What is your weapon of choice

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:49 pm

Love/prefer bowhunting because it's up close and personal. I get so jacked up when I stick an arrow through something that it's stupid. I start shaking like a dog crapping razor blades and when I call people I can never enunciate or talk straight. If I could conference call everyone during the first call you'd just shake your head and laugh.

Gun hunting just makes me giggle and then I walk up to the buck.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:51 pm

Muddy, that is great.

Hope everyone pours it out like that. Now I feel I cheated in my response
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:53 pm

I love hunting with my compound bow. I cant really explain why I like hunting with it so much more than a gun or any other weapon...I just feel different when Im in the woods with my bow.

Nothing against gun hunting in general, but I usually like to get away from all the "weekend warriors" that come out during gun season. I also like knowing that I have to put more time and effort into hunting with my bow..makes the reward that much better.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:00 pm

What I expected from Beasts. Heartfelt real responses. I actually enjoy every single season as they change.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:23 am

I am all weapon, I deer hunt during all seasons. If I had to choose just one it would be my bow hands down. It's quiet and its all about those close encounters. It's just such a rush when those animals walk by within feet of you and don't even realize your there. 8-)
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:47 am

I love my guns. I love shooting them. I love the smell of powder. I even love the loud ringing in my ears and the kick I get (unless I don't have it right in my shoulder, then, not so much!!!)
But when it comes to hunting I prefer my bow. The discipline it requires makes me more disciplined in other areas of my life. The concentration it requires, teaches me focus. The curiosity it inspires in others, be it kiddos wanting to know more or watch me shoot, or the wonder in a grown man's eyes that is truly impressed that I hunt, and I hunt with a bow. My little chest thumpin' moment as it usually is seen in the eyes of a man that has not or ever hunted. I like to provide my own food and I must say, I do a mighty fine job of it. I got to admit, with the last sentence or 2, it has helped me become more confident, in myself and my abilities.
I love the close encounter it requires. To get within their comfort zone without them (the animal, mainly deer) knowing it, at least until it's too late.
And like Muddy, I get down right silly some times. Before I shot the last doe, I was out in the same stand and it was morning. I never sat that stand in the AM as it is reall a pm stand. Bumped a few on the way out, but not too bad. Had 5 deer (4 does and a little buck) come out at first light. I stood and I began to shake so hard, that i took a shot-15 yards and hit the tree limb in front of me. Wonder I didn't blow up my bow it was that close. That deer didn't spook much, I shot again at 20 yd and right under her. Heck, she still didn't spook much as I guess she thought it was pecans dropping. I didn't go for the 3rd shot. I was still shaking too much. I haven't shook that much in quite along time---not before the shot. And that was for a doe!!!!! I love it!!!! If I ever lose the excitement over a doe that I have like that, it'll be time to try another weapon---recurve maybe!!!!! Also like Muddy, I get on the phone and I'm talking 90 to nothing as if I was talking bout a 200 class buck!!!!! That's what hunting with a bow does for me.
But I do like shooting my guns!!!!! Just don't seem to want to aim them at animals. Well, deer at least. Think I might try more live target practice with some yotes!!!!! The idea of beaning a yote or a pig with a slingshot has an appeal as well!!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:12 pm

We lost some great responses on this thread since this morning.

I understand there was a problem on the forum during the updates, see announcements. Bummer some members had some good stuff going here when I checked this am.

Oh well, guess we will have to bring it again. I am going from memory, 3Dog had some good stuff with his granpas shotgun for turkey, Shultzy weighed in with his recurve, I think Wrinkleneck and Dewey chimed in, Magic got on this as well. I know I forgot a few.

Was a good read, wish I could remember them all
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:30 pm

I see we've lost a few post's. I made a thread In the bear hunting section this morning I think It was, took me forever to make It. She's gone. ;) Oh well.
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:32 pm

My weapon of choice for home defense is a 12ga pump. My weapon of choice for deer is my Z7.
A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:01 pm

Love bowhunting but that doesn't mean I don't love owning, and shooting guns. I try to buy guns whenever I come across a good deal on them unfortunately that's rarely. Next to land they are the only thing that won't lose their value. Other than grouse and duck hunting though I don't like gun hunting one bit. If they cancelled all gun deer seasons for a few years I wouldn't mind one bit. Like the rest have said getting up close and personal with the animal is where its at.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:22 pm

My weapon of choice for sure is my bow. I love the quiet, finding deer sign, and hunting for them. I gun hunt just for the opportunity to hunt and tradition, but I really don't care for the hussle and bussle of the rat race of it.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:23 pm

Louis- my weapon of choice is a 7mm Rem Mag with 160 grain Nosler partitions! :lol:

My favorite weapon of all time is my Bear Grizzly recurve that I got for Xmas at age 11.
Boo
500 Club

Unread postby Boo » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:37 pm

I have to choose my bow hands down. Like others have said I like the close encounters, long and changing season and being able to enjoy the outdoors without all of the noise and other people running around aimlessly.
Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:52 pm

The bow is my weapon of choice. It allows me to hunt bucks on a summer pattern...through all the cycles, phases and food scourse...to a winter pattern. Since all my stands are geared for bow hunting, I just bow hunt through the gun seasons. I have nothing against gun hunting or hunting with any weapon for that matter.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”