What is your weapon of choice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Re: What is your weapon of choice

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:58 pm

For some reason about 4 of my posts were lost today, including one I originally put on this thread. So I will condense my response...I like to bowhunt with a recurve these days.

Autumn Ninja

Unread postby Autumn Ninja » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:02 pm

virginiashadow wrote:I like to bowhunt with a recurve these days.

I want hold that against you Shadow...LOL :mrgreen:
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:13 pm

WIth four missed shots and only 1 killed, I HOLD IT AGAINST MYSELF that I am a moron. hahaha
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Boo wrote:I have to choose my bow hands down. Like others have said I like the close encounters, long and changing season and being able to enjoy the outdoors without all of the noise and other people running around aimlessly.

X2 I'm with BOO and alot of other people. I don't even gun hunt anymore, I put all my time and resources into bow hunting ;)
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:05 am

gotta go with the archery equipment! just the fact the deer get so close and dont even realize your there..but when gun season comes around its nice to get some frustrations off..
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 am

Autumn Ninja wrote: I just bow hunt through the gun seasons. I have nothing against gun hunting or hunting with any weapon for that matter.

I wish you could use a bow during the firearms season here in Wisconsin!!!! I would be out there with bow during the firearms season for sure!!
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:57 am

Autumn Ninja wrote:The bow is my weapon of choice. It allows me to hunt bucks on a summer pattern...through all the cycles, phases and food scourse...to a winter pattern. Since all my stands are geared for bow hunting, I just bow hunt through the gun seasons. I have nothing against gun hunting or hunting with any weapon for that matter.

X2, except for being able to bowhunt through gun season
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:17 am

I really enjoy shooting all of my weapons but nothing is better than hunting/shooting my bows. I just love the sport of archery so much and rarely a day goes by that I don't pick up one of my bows and shoot a few arrows. I have a archery range in my basement and in the spring and summer I enjoy going to 3-D tournaments.
I just recently bought a Bear Kodiak recurve and have been doing a lot of instinctive shooting. I started out bowhunting shooting instinctive 25 years ago and forgot how great that feels to just look at the target without sights and have the arrow go exactly where you were looking. I am starting to get proficient enough that I may start hunting with it next season and my goal is to someday take a P&Y buck with my recurve.
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:19 am

I bow hunt during rifle season. I know its probably not the smartest move and it has cost me a couple of nice bucks. But when that B/C comes by at 20yds.I would rather put him on the wall with a stick and string.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:30 am

Wrinkleneck wrote:I wish you could use a bow during the firearms season here in Wisconsin!!!! I would be out there with bow during the firearms season for sure!!

Me too! Its one of the things I like about hunting in MN, but my family does a Wisconsin gun hunt every year (tradition) so it has prevented me from buying a Wisconsin archery tag in the past..I dont want to have to buy two NR licenses.. If one could bowhunt during the gun season, I would just buy an archery tag and then just sit with my bow while Im there hunting with my family.

Not exactly sure why they shut the archery season down during firearms..
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:44 am

I prefer to bowhunt. My weapon of choice depends on what season it is. If it's bow season I bowhunt, gun season I gun hunt, muzzleloader etc. All in all the weapon doesn't really matter to me, it's the kill I'm after. To be successful on the target animal is my goal regardless of the weapon.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:02 am

Traditional bowhunter (recurve).
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:24 am

I tip my hat to the hardcore bowhunters on this site. My cousin arrowbender bowhunts during gun in MN, and with success. And Traditional hunters I give an extra salute as well, I am sure they have endured seeing animals they could have harvested with other weapons.

When I started this thread I dont know if I was asking what type weapon, or specific weapon you choose. Most chimed in with type, although 3 dog specified a shotgun he got from grandpa that he uses for turkey (that got deleted yesterday, forum technical problems). That was a good read

I am going to list a few specific weapons. Bridge noted his trusty 7mm. Here I go. Bear with my I dont have a favorite weapon, I have favorite weapons

Turkey: 12 gauge single shot H&R 3and 1/2" mag with screw in chokes. I love this gun and call it the widowmaker. It is mostly black with a nickel barrel and kicks like a mule. Started bruising me the last 3 turkey, but light and fast handling and have confidence to drop any bird to 60 yds.

Elk/Rifle deer: 7mm Rem Mag Ruger MKII with a Redfield 3X9 Golden 5 star scope. It is black synthetic stock with stainless barrel. Shoot Nosler 160 grain. Drops everything I shoot with it in its tracks. It has been to CO (2X), WY, ID(2X), and up north in our rifle zone in MI several times. Love that gun.

Shotgun zone deer: My mommy bought me a 870 express back when I was a sophomore at Eastern Illinois University (1987)because I made good grades (I was smart a long time ago). I hunted pheasants with that gun back then. Well I converted that gun to a slug gun with a rifled barrel in 1996 after I killed my first MI buck with it with the old smooth bore in 1995. What a tack driver, and jump shot many of deer with it since. I smoked that first buck on a dead run in 1995 like I was pheasant hunting back in IL. I never missed a pheasant with that gun in IL. Since then I cant count how many I missed. But running deer only missed one of those with it since I converted it to a slug gun. Also threw my bear into the bait pile with it in '07, got it on video.

Archery deer: I picked up a Horton Legend 150 HD Crossbow in 2009 and have killed 3 deer with it on the ground in the last 2 seasons. I have really enjoyed this weapon the last 2 seasons. Almost exclusively used it the last 2 seasons. I Want to use it for some other hunting like predators and turkeys. I also took this weapon to Pigfest 2010 but used all my bolts on a wounded pig and had to go get a gun (MZ) for my pig. I keep telling myself I am going to get a new regular bow just havent yet. Really want a recurve

Muzzleloader: These weapons offer some great opportunities especially if you look in other states. MI we have a long MZ season down here SE MI, but I took both MZ to Nebraska in '08 and took a Mule Deer doe at 202 yds with my scoped Omega. Not exactly up close, but after missing the lead doe out of this group at a much closer range, we got back into the nervous bunch in that open country and finally connected.

I love weapons. Had a really nice 12 gauge H&R single shot with rifled barrel, laminated stock fall in my lap last March on the way back from Pigfest. Friend of mine in the UP wanted me to have it after I spent the night with him on the way back.

Have a few other weapons I like to hunt with, but I think anyone reading this needs a break.

Rock On Beasties
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Bowhunting is my favorite and always will be. Slipping in close with my Lone Wolf on my back and completing something I have thought about for almost an entire year is as good as it gets.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:07 am

Bowhunting for deer, & bear.
For turkeys I prefer the shotgun.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”