Pennsylvania new non typical archery record

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawthorne
500 Club

Pennsylvania new non typical archery record

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:05 am

http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/118 ... cks-scored

Lots of bruisers coming out of PA these days.

Jer-Bear
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.burke.925

Re: Pennsylvania new non typical archery record

Unread postby Jer-Bear » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:11 am

:dance:
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:33 am

:shhh: nothing to see here.

But seriously the quality of bucks are improving here recently. Both from my personal observance in the field, and from seeing what other hunters are dragging out of the woods. I believe a combination of antler restrictions and fewer bucks taken in rifle season (due to fewer rifle hunters) are finally allowing a higher percentage of bucks to reach maturity.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:36 am

Josh_S wrote::shhh: nothing to see here.

But seriously the quality of bucks are improving here recently. Both from my personal observance in the field, and from seeing what other hunters are dragging out of the woods. I believe a combination of antler restrictions and fewer bucks taken in rifle season (due to fewer rifle hunters) are finally allowing a higher percentage of bucks to reach maturity.

How is the non-resident tag price? Might have to come take a look :whistle:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
CallMeFishmael

Unread postby CallMeFishmael » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:52 am

Hmmm, for all those who argue agains MAPRs, it is hard to argue against results. Michigan needs to go this way as well. Like John Adams said, "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Departments use size requirements to manage fisheries pretty much everywhere. Some make it sound like a foreign/taboo topic for deer hunting. Essentially, it forces on average an older age structure.
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:52 am

X2 I've notice great results in buck antler size from the time they introduced antler restrictions to now. I also see more bucks during the off season.
Joe™
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:19 pm

CallMeFishmael wrote:Hmmm, for all those who argue agains MAPRs, it is hard to argue against results. Michigan needs to go this way as well. Like John Adams said, "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

Departments use size requirements to manage fisheries pretty much everywhere. Some make it sound like a foreign/taboo topic for deer hunting. Essentially, it forces on average an older age structure.

100% agree I'm all for apr's in Michigan. They need to expand it from the 13 counties. Nice to see it working in PA. My grandpa used to own a farm near breezewood, Pa before apr's. They shot a lot of dinks. I think the biggest they ever shot was 120 Incher. Tons of deer tho. To this day I've never seen has many deer has I saw has a kid in PA. They would come out to fields in the 100s off the mountain.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:59 pm

The non-resident PA license isn't horrible...

PA underwent a fair bit of change all at once. It took a while for the ARs to work in many areas.

At the same time they were implemented, we also underwent a herd reduction. Our hunter numbers have dropped something like half a million since then too. (I remember when I was 12 getting ready to move camp the news announced over a million hunters are heading for the woods. Now it's like 600k).

That's all Big changes in itself. Couple them together and it was pretty drastic.

The ARs didn't show it's true effect until the last few years IMO. I'd showed some. Some areas better than others. My belief is the sheer number of button bucks behind shot as doe during the heavy herd reduction. Most the state had a 2 week doe season with a significant amount of tags. We killed a crazy amount of deer. It was a great time to be a young hunter...Seeing 20-30+ deer before 9am opening day on public land was pretty easy. We had a million hunters moving those deer around. It was chaotic at times.

Now, we have far less hunters. Our deer herd is smaller. Deer camps in the north that were always packed with hunters often aren't occupied during the opener anymore. You don't get the crazy pressured movement in lots of places. Plus less doe tags..Shorter doe seasons...And ARs effect is evident enough that even casual hunters are passing small bucks knowing they have a fair shot at a bigger buck.

Not long ago a 2.5yo was a pretty decent buck. A 3.5+ year old...Anything over 100" was somewhat rare and often the talk of the town if one got spotted or killed. Now a 2.5yo is pretty average. 3.5yos are much easier to come by in most areas.

Been a lot of change...That's for sure.

True Giants are out there. I really don't think it'll be too much longer till we are putting down some monsters...We may never compete with the buck belt of the Midwest...Just because of genetics and food in most the state..but that's not completely true. Our "big woods bucks" were always thought to be small and have inferior antlers. I don't see that...i see the same antler growth from up north as I do from down in the farmland.
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:46 pm

Hawthorne wrote:
CallMeFishmael wrote:Michigan needs to go this way as well.

They need to expand it from the 13 counties.

Good chance it's coming....maybe even this fall, but as usual it all comes down to a vote. And the recent Mecosta CWD could throw a wrench in plans as well. Fingers are crossed though!
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:08 pm

No pic?
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:28 am

Jonny wrote:

I believe around $120. Unfortunately we have a short 6 week archery season and no Sunday hunting.
RDubs44

Unread postby RDubs44 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:30 am

Passing young bucks is catching on.... :D
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:52 am

Josh_S wrote:
Jonny wrote:

I believe around $120. Unfortunately we have a short 6 week archery season and no Sunday hunting.

You still have no sunday hunting? I can't believe they haven't gotten rid of that yet. $120 for a NR isn't that bad at all. Seems pretty low, although I wonder how many people go to Pennsylvania for deer hunting from other states
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Jonny wrote:
Josh_S wrote:
Jonny wrote:

You still have no sunday hunting? I can't believe they haven't gotten rid of that yet. $120 for a NR isn't that bad at all. Seems pretty low, although I wonder how many people go to Pennsylvania for deer hunting from other states

Surprisingly I see a lot of Ohio and new York plates in my area of the state.

As far as Sunday hunting goes were a common wealth. We still outlaw tons of dumb stuff. You can't even buy alcohol unless it's from a beer distributor or a wines and spirits store.
Joe™
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:35 am

Someone was asking for a picture. Here it is...

http://triblive.com/sports/outdoors/118 ... cks-scored
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”