Hunting with a blind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Hunting with a blind

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:03 pm

This weekend im takin a young man out on a mentored hunt. The land i wanna hunt has a corn field that butts up to some other land that i could most likely get permission to go on but i dont wat to bother the guy. The deer walk out of this guys woods and cross about 40 yards of tall grass and then enter our corn feild.

Here is the question. Im not one to hunt out of a blind but would it be a bad move to set a blind up about a row inside the corn and brush it in real well. I got the young man his first doe already which i will be posting about later. SO the plan is to trick a 1.5 year old buck. Will i be able to pull it off with a blind or will the blind scare them all away. And if i do use a blind should i put it up a day or so b4 or should i do it the day of. Im guessing to do it the day of tho

THanks, JOe

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: Hunting with a blind

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:06 pm

My experience with blinds has been the longer they are out before the hunt the better. Like you it is not a preferred way of hunting for me but a lot of guys are successful with it. If you can get out there tomorrow and get the thing out and brushed in you might be able to fool a young buck within range but I am betting deer will be edgy.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:29 pm

Is the cornfield standing at all or completely chopped and under snow?
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:42 pm

If it is a standing corn field, you should be able to tuck it in a row or two and then throw extra corn stalks up against it (corn stalk it in real good). Just make sure you can't be silhouetted with two windows open and I would suggest wearing all black inside the blind. At this stage in the year you don't have much to loose
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:52 pm

Then you're in business. Go in, play the wind, and set your blind up with a row of corn in front of it. Then cut a bunch of stalks and lean them up all over the blind and on top of it, you will be golden. Like this, only I'd use more stalks.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:53 pm

or this...

PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:58 pm

Ok, thanks for the pics. I was thinkin i will pry bring a shovle and throw some snow on the roof too. Also Muddy, do you set yours up the day of the hunt or b4 the hunt
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:02 pm

I've never had the opportunity to hunt out of a blind in a corn field like that, I just stole those pictures from a random photobucket search! ;)

I'd just throw stalks on the roof like those people did, really breaks it up. You might use a shovel to remove the snow from inside the blind if it's really deep though. I guess once you get all the stalks around the blind you could throw a few shovel fulls on the stalks if the other stalks in the area have snow on their leaves. If they don't, don't make more work for yourself, ample stalks around the blind will take care of what you need.

muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:04 pm

Duh... to answer the other question, I'd just go in that day and set it all up early before you expect any deer movement. If you set it up the night before you run the risk of a deer/buck finding the location and boogering at your scent;.

PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:13 pm

ok, good thoughts... Thanks
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Dude!!!!! I think I said not too long ago that you will make a great mentor!!!! coming to pass!!!!!! Kudos to you!!!!! I don't think you could go wrong with anything Muddy has said!!!!! Set it up and get set up inside and your in business!!!!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:33 am

just brush it in good as muddy stated and you'll be fine. i've seen many deer bowhunting the first night out of a ground blind set-up, many of the older deer wouldn't close in better than 25 yards but the 1.5's did. good luck!
When better is possible, good is never good enough
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:35 am

oh yeah, i would use the shoot-through screens if you are hunting the same day too(if you have them)
When better is possible, good is never good enough
Spysar
500 Club

Unread postby Spysar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:05 am

Here is an example of a successful blind setup I made.It was set up for a specific buck. I also set up a treestand for the same buck. I was hunting the treestand. My buddy didn't know about the buck, so he asked if he could hunt the blind. I said sure, no problem as long as he didn't get out and wander the property. I also told him it would be in his best interest to stay there all day. Guess what? He got the buck, his personal biggest to this day! I thought it was awesome.

A buck will see you three times, and hear you twice, but he's only gonna smell you once.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”