Washington State White Tail Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kudersmotors

Washington State White Tail Hunting

Unread postby kudersmotors » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:12 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new to deer hunting and definitely new to bow hunting. I have been doing a lot of research on both compound bows and deer hunting and am getting ready to start scouting for deer. But there lies my problem, not real sure where to even start here in Washington State. I live in central Washington and it is mostly desert sand dunes sage brush and fields with lots of Mule Deer and spot and stalk type of hunting, which is alright with me and I will most likely be doing that as well, but I would really like to do some tree stand hunting for white tail deer. I just don't know where to start and was curios if there was some one on this forum who has hunted Washington State and could send me in the right direction to get started.

Thanks!

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Washington State White Tail Hunting

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Welcome!

Never been out there but I would definitely look for low areas. If there are river bottoms I would check those. Whitetails don't like the wide open areas like mule deer. Gotta find those thick areas they like.

I think the Dakotas and Montana are similar, and guys I know who hunt those states really talk about hunting bottomlands. Not much of it is public, but you won't see whitetails outside those areas
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
kudersmotors

Unread postby kudersmotors » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and info Jonny. I'm going to give it a look on google earth for thick tree areas at lower end of river beds near me and if I find an area maybe it'll be a good Idea to post an aerial photo of the area and see what you guys all think of it. Ill be sure its public land before posting.
cedarsavage
500 Club
Facebook: No facebook

Unread postby cedarsavage » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:22 am

I lived out there near Vancouver awhile. My understanding is the best whitetail hunting is around Spokane. A lot of the state doesn't have whitetails which would make it kind of hard to hunt them. I'd do a little more research but I knew some guys who traveled to that area to hunt. I think the deer hunting guide shows areas that have each deer species. I'm kinda envious of all the deer options you have. Good luck
Ladykiller

Unread postby Ladykiller » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:29 am

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:30 am

Jonny wrote:Welcome!

Never been out there but I would definitely look for low areas. If there are river bottoms I would check those. Whitetails don't like the wide open areas like mule deer. Gotta find those thick areas they like.

I think the Dakotas and Montana are similar, and guys I know who hunt those states really talk about hunting bottomlands. Not much of it is public, but you won't see whitetails outside those areas

Not all whitetail habitat is in river bottoms out west. Once you get west of the continental divide lots of them are found in mountainess areas. You may say your hunting XXX valley but this mainly refers to the area. Alot of the hunting is up on the timbered mountainsides. I have some friends and have read articles where large older bucks were seen above 8000'. 5000'-6000' is pretty common. Course alot of the valleys are about 4000'.

Wish I had Dan's hill country knowledge back when I was in Montana.

Washington has the Columbian species of whitetail. They are more mountainess. May just want to Google Columbian Whitetails also.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:24 am

stash59 wrote:

Not all whitetail habitat is in river bottoms out west. Once you get west of the continental divide lots of them are found in mountainess areas. You may say your hunting XXX valley but this mainly refers to the area. Alot of the hunting is up on the timbered mountainsides. I have some friends and have read articles where large older bucks were seen above 8000'. 5000'-6000' is pretty common. Course alot of the valleys are about 4000'.

Washington has the Columbian species of whitetail. They are more mountainess. May just want to Google Columbian Whitetails also.

I had no idea there were different kinds of whitetails. The timbered mountain sides would make sense to hunt. I think the OP mentioned lots of sand dunes and sage brush which made me assume there wasn't much in terms of woods besides bottomland.

If there is more timber on the mountains then I would agree with you stash on where to look. That stuff would have dans hill country DVDs written all over it.

Will definitely have to check out the Colombian whitetails. Thanks for pointing that out stash!
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Jonny wrote:
stash59 wrote:

I had no idea there were different kinds of whitetails. The timbered mountain sides would make sense to hunt. I think the OP mentioned lots of sand dunes and sage brush which made me assume there wasn't much in terms of woods besides bottomland.

If there is more timber on the mountains then I would agree with you stash on where to look. That stuff would have dans hill country DVDs written all over it.

Will definitely have to check out the Colombian whitetails. Thanks for pointing that out stash!

Google The Whitetail Slam. I believe there's 8 species in the US and Canada. With more into Mexico and Cenral and South Americas.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”