Early Season Bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tylerrewa

Early Season Bedding

Unread postby Tylerrewa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:39 am

Hello All,
I am planning on hunting a new piece of public ground in Michigan. I have not put any boots on the ground but from aerial images it looks a WELL used bedding area. I do not know if there is already a stand site their but for this question I am going to assume no one will be hunting it yet since it is about a half mile walk through cattails. It would be the first weekend of bow season that I hunt this site and I have heard not to hunt areas like this in the morning in the early season because you will jump bigger bucks. My thought is to get in a hour and a half before day light and sit all day so that I don't bump stuff in the evening coming out to the stand. Should I do the more aggressive move of the all day sit or try to get in there in the afternoon under day light so I could get in there quieter. I am only planning on hunting this area for that one weekend since it is 3 hrs from where i live so it would be just 1 or two hunts in that stand.

Hunt your Hunt
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Early Season Bedding

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:08 am

To figure out bedding patterns and a killing tree from an aerial. Then setting up in the dark is asking alot. The chance of you setting up in the perfect tree right away is probably pretty slim.

And then not knowing the pressure in the area on top of it. I'm guessing you don't or can't take a scouting trip there ahead of time? A scouting trip prior, would be you best bet!

What you could do is, set-up blind in the morning, then scout a little mid day to possibly readjust for your evening sit if needed. Then it's only a one day trip. But it's a crap shoot without any on the ground intel beforehand.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tylerrewa

Unread postby Tylerrewa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:01 am

This is an area that I will be planing on scouting, once in a few weeks and another time in August to set up a trail camera. The plan is to set up stands two weeks before season since in Michigan you cant hang stands on public until Sept. 1st (at least that is what I have always heard). I would then be able to check the camera on the third trip up there and see what type of activity there is on the trip in Sept. to hang stands.

To your point there are several areas that I can point out in this bedding area about 100 yrds. from where I think a great stand set would be that I could hang the observation stand.
Hunt your Hunt
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:11 am

IMO...That seems like too much activity in a bedding area before you hunt it.

Typically after I cyber scout, I get boots on the ground and prep my tree's in one trip, right before green-up. Then I don't go in til I hunt it!

Hunt & hang, minimal scent & intrusion.

just my opinion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Tylerrewa

Unread postby Tylerrewa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:21 am

So you wouldn't even hang the stand in September? I think hanging a stand the day I get to the spot in the morning would be a little to loud so would you suggest walking in at shooting light in the morning than using the observation stand to locate my tree with binos or go in at shooting light to the tree I know I want to hunt that day? I have not used the observation stand or even moved a treestand mid season so this concept is new to me on when, where and what.
Hunt your Hunt
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:29 am

Tylerrewa wrote:So you wouldn't even hang the stand in September? I think hanging a stand the day I get to the spot in the morning would be a little to loud so would you suggest walking in at shooting light in the morning than using the observation stand to locate my tree with binos or go in at shooting light to the tree I know I want to hunt that day? I have not used the observation stand or even moved a treestand mid season so this concept is new to me on when, where and what.

Never. One, it could get stolen. Two, it shows all the other hunters where I am. Three, don't put any more scent in the woods than you need to. Most guys here carry a stand on their back 98% of the time during hunting season, cause how many times does a pre hung set get you in the exact tree you should be in.

Your best bet is to scout sometime in the next month or two, pick out the exact tree you want, gps it so you can get there quietly the day you want to hunt. Then spend the summer figuring out and practicing setting up your stand quietly, and walking with a stand on your back quietly.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:20 am

I hang & hunt with my stand/sticks on my back all of the time. And have been, for the past 4 years. Setting up in the dark is just part of the hunt for me. This is how beasts hunt. It eliminates any scent prior to that hunt. Learning to hang a set quietly without being seen or heard, is no easy task. It takes alot of practice!

For you, I guess you hang your pre-set and hope for the best. For your first scout. If it looks good, prep your tree's. Then I wouldn't bother setting up a camera in August. Go in and set-up your stand on the 1st, then set-up a camera if you want. If it looked good on your first scout, you're gonna hunt it no matter what. So why stink it up and hang a camera in Aug?
Tylerrewa

Unread postby Tylerrewa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:57 am

Thanks for the input, I'll be headed to that spot and a few other spots while I have the day in a couple weeks and prep a few spots at each in hopes that no one else gets in to those spots.

It also looks like I'll have to practice putting a stand up in the dark or do what I normally do and have the stand pre-hung and bring my sticks in.
Hunt your Hunt
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:03 am

Welcome! I have to agree w the other members about the setup. The least amount of intrusion is what it's about bc you want that bedding area to stay a bedding area. Plus, you don't want to hunt that spot twice in row.

If you were going to hang a stand pre season, I would choose a nice consistent rainy day or high winds. This will help eliminate your scent in the area and conceal sound while setting up. Also make sure the wind doesn't go towards the bedding area. I definitely think it's more successful on private vs public. OnE con to this on public would be what was stated earlier about letting peiple know your there. Aside from letting them know it's a good spot, they may see it and walk further then dirty up the bedding area.

To add, hunting bedding areas in the mornings are a tough gig. Especially early season bc a mature buck is going to beat you the majority of the time. They are back to bed well before daylight and they scent check the area before entering. Its fun every year trying to get them, but they definitely win the match alot! So IMO unless you have one pinned down or amazing access, the cons out weigh the pros. Unless, this spot is a corridor between food and bedding. If so then it still needs to be far enough away from bedding so if you mess up, or he busts you, or the deer is a no show then you can get out and preserve the area closer to bedding for a later season sit.

So I would go in stand on back for evening hunt, take your time move slow and quiet when you get close.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:13 am

I hear a lot of people talk about high or low pressure areas...remember, once I've walked into an area, its no longer a "no" pressure area. Newer beast and I learned that the hard way in 2016. You may be able to fool deer, but probably not a mature buck.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Tylerrewa

Unread postby Tylerrewa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:31 pm

I guess it might be in my best interest to hunt another spot in the morning and try to catch a lingering doe and put meat in the freezer. I'd probably be more confident setting up in daylight where I might be able to get in quiet not to mention set up a stand safely. Hopefully there is some light rain when I go in so I don't make so much noise getting in.

Idk about anyone else but I can't say I have seen a 2 1/2 yr. old or older much on morning hunts outside of the rut or first two days of bow season along standing corn.
Hunt your Hunt
Divergent
500 Club

Unread postby Divergent » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:53 pm

Save your best early season spot for an evening hunt. I'd shy away from a preset stand and cams. It's going to hurt more than help imo. You can go ahead and do some minimal trimming, but don't leave anything behind.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:55 pm

I didn't get to read all the replies...But sounds like the others have given lots of good advice. Soak it in.

Hunting buck beds takes a much different approach than what most hunters do when they deer hunt.

Do you have any of Dan's videos?? They help a lot..Not only in locating bedding..But how to actually hunt.

Stealth is a vital key. We are often getting within 100yds of a bedded buck and setting up a stand. Sounds crazy. But it works. Most of us carry somewhat different gear than typical hunters and most of it comes down to quietness.

Most bed hunts are an evening ordeal. The reason being, mature bucks are often bedded long before sunrise. The "get in early" and stay till dark" tactic often doesn't work. Especially in the marsh. Your route in is very likely going to be the bucks route back in. So if you do beat him there, he's gunna hit the trail you walked in on and he isn't following it.

Bed hunting is also a minimal disturbance type thing...Most of my bed hunts I hit once a season. Maybe twice. My scouting is done with spring green up. If trees need prepped or anything that's down then too. Mature bucks are bedding where they are because it's a place they feel safe and people aren't going to. That's why we stay out and only hunt it a couple times a season.

It's a different style of hunting. But once you start to figure it out you'll likely see more mature bucks than before...I know I do and I'm no pro and actually still don't hunt actual known beds often. I'm still building my spots and knowledge. And I hunt when I can. Mornings. Evenings. Anytime I can. But I'm not always bed hunting.

One thing to mention. Nothing is set in stone. Think outside the box. You mentioned seeing a mature buck outside the rut or the first day or 2 in the morning doesn't happen...I've had it happen enough that I hunt mornings lol. Just this past season I had a giant come by a half hour after daylight. Saw another shooter mid-late morning. I wanna say that was the 2nd week of October..Long before "the rut". I was on a super hot oak cluster. I seen like a dozen doe that morning as well which is an awesome morning in that area...

I rarely go in completely blind in the morning. I have enough trouble locating the tree I already know is there. Everytime I've set up blind in the morning I've realized I'm nowhere near where I needed to be and/or stomped through the area I need to be and had a lousy hunt...

Good luck! If you don't have the videos, I'd highly recommend collecting them! Read through the forum and ask questions...Great group of hunters here. Lots of GREAT threads from the past. I'd honestly say some of the best deer hunters in the world are on this site. Look at the buck kill line up from this year and years passed...Most of us aren't from the Midwest big buck belt. Most are public land or heavily pressured land bucks. It's impressive to see the bucks that members kill every season...look at the dates too...Many are early and late season. Outside of the rut...Which is very impressive. I've always said if the rut didn't exist many hunters would probably have troubles. Not true with most of these guys!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:34 am

I think Dan tagged out opening day 6 years in a row hunting a marsh spot. That's what happens when you know the spot and how to best utilize it.

If you aren't 100% confident in being able to set up your stand quietly, AND get into the spot quietly, get out and practice it. Yes you will look stupid trying to hang a treestand in February, but the more you practice, the better you will be.

If you can't get in and up the tree quietly, you are wasting a hunt. Get out and practice and be ready for it. I think everybody here will agree that there is a learning curve to doing this. For some guys it might come easier. For some (me) it's very hard. Stay positive, and keep that goal in mind. Work hard and good things will happen.

Dan doesn't shoot big bucks just cause he is dan. He shoots big bucks because he is out there every chance he can scouting and learning. Same goes for everybody else here.

Best of luck! Read old threads here, ask questions, provide input, accept criticism. It's amazing how friendly guys are here. I'm probably the youngest guy on here and have nothing but great things to say about everybody here and my experiences here. It's a great resource, but only as great to you as you make it.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Tylerrewa

Unread postby Tylerrewa » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Yeah, this is a new type of hunting for me, and it seems like the best method to kill bucks on a yearly basis on public land. Being that I am two years out of college and a new dad I don't think I'll have that 120 acre slice of deer park fun land anytime soon :lol: , so learning to public land hunt more effectively is something I should pick up on.

Like I have heard DAN say "you learn from your mistakes more than your success" so I'll be hoping to make just enough mistakes to learn but not enough to keep me from punching my tags and filling the freezer.

But it looks like the weather won't be an issue this weekend so I'll be scouting for fall sign.
Hunt your Hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”