How do you effectively hunt a thermal wind tunnel?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jed33

How do you effectively hunt a thermal wind tunnel?

Unread postby Jed33 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:31 am

Scouting this weekend left me excited and confused. Found a really nice area tore up with buck sign about 1/3 down a ridge.

My assumption is that bucks are using this area because of the wind tunnel effect. How do you fellow beast members hunt these tunnels? Set up below them, above them, or in the "vortex" or center of them?

Access is another problem, I will have to cross a ravine to get to the spot, and I am afraid to bump does on the way in, and possibly put the bucks on alert.

Johnboy

Re: How do you effectively hunt a thermal wind tunnel?

Unread postby Johnboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:47 am

Watch Dan's two Hill Country dvd's. The older one and new one coming out in March. These will offer a lifetime of knowledge in minutes that pays off season after season. Travel routes between beds and food, stands between doe bedding are just a couple places to start along the top 1/3 thermal tunnel. Like you said access and not letting the deer know you are there is definitely important. Sometimes it requires you to set up on a slightly off wind to get a shot at a buck leaving or going to bed.
<DK>
500 Club

Re: How do you effectively hunt a thermal wind tunnel?

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:05 am

In general, most of your buck beds and daylight activity will be below the military crest. Terrain and transitions can change this, as well as higher winds, weather conditions, ect... milkweed and noting spots physically/mentally are important for the future. Afternoon - Set up above the thermal tunnel (deer trail) within shooting range. Morning - Set up below the thermal tunnel (deer trail) within shooting range. If you have a cut or draw adjacent to bedding, use it to help dump your scent off the ridge and its a good vulnerable spot to catch him.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”