Prioritizing Bed Sits

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Twenty Up
500 Club

Prioritizing Bed Sits

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:10 pm

I've recently come across several beds in close proximity to each other (roughly 500-700 yards as the crow flies). They're on different ridges but same general area, to the point in which I'm nervous if I go for one it could possibly burn a second. I believe it to be separate deer because these two particular spots are for South winds. This is a high deer density area so I've come across several scenarios such as this.

Judging bed & rub size each buck is around 3.5-4.5YO but antler size won't be known until afterwards. I've got cameras on the beds but won't be checking them for a while...

Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
mathews418

Re: Prioritizing Bed Sits

Unread postby mathews418 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Awesome find!!!
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:38 pm

At that distance hunting one might make the other bed better after that. Especially if your route is out of the way on the first bed.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:09 pm

cbay wrote:At that distance hunting one might make the other bed better after that. Especially if your route is out of the way on the first bed.

x2!

IMHO you're not going to burn the other beds when they're that far apart as long as your access doesn't affect the other beds. Legit sit at one = stacking the others. Just go on down the line... sounds productive to me.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:42 am

Stacking huh? I like it... So let's say my entrance/exit is between the two beds, bout 250 yards apart.. Is this too close?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:03 am

Twenty Up wrote:Stacking huh? I like it... So let's say my entrance/exit is between the two beds, bout 250 yards apart.. Is this too close?

Probably good on one wind and probably no good on another wind. Pick your wind to give you the best option.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:02 am

Twenty Up wrote:Stacking huh? I like it... So let's say my entrance/exit is between the two beds, bout 250 yards apart.. Is this too close?

Good response from Stan

250 yards is probably ok, especially if theyre used to hunting pressure nearby. With my way of thinking, if a buck is relatively unpressured (near his bed) then you come in an introduce human scent closer than he's used to, he might not leave bedding as far as he would with no intrusion. So the distance of your kill tree to the bed could come in to play. For example if my kill tree is 125 yards from his bed, I'm not going to be a huge fan of walking 250 yards from it. If my kill tree is 60 yards from him, it's not nearly as big of a deal.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:22 am

Here's a screenshot of what is going on. Red is my intended trail in.

Splitting the two is the shortest distance in, I can't go further West because I believe there to be more bedding just NW of the screen. It's possible to come from the East and work my way across but it would be a much longer walk.

This is all for a due South wind*

Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:38 am

Dude, im no expert by any mean, but 700 yds apart, on diff ridges?? I wouldnt evrn worry about it. Honestly, id be more worried about it being a high deer density area. Thas just my uniformed opinion.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:06 pm

Ol'DanBoone wrote:Dude, im no expert by any mean, but 700 yds apart, on diff ridges?? I wouldnt evrn worry about it. Honestly, id be more worried about it being a high deer density area. Thas just my uniformed opinion.

I hear that, it's actually 466 yards from bed to bed after I checked. So roughly ~230 yards, not sure if that's too close or not.. Never done this before

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:50 pm

If I remember right, andrae used to go bump deer out of bedding areas and stack them in one he knew how to effectively hunt. Knew how meaning he could hunt it well with high odds. The other beds were lower odds.

Don't know if I would actually do that, but if you can get a couple days of south winds, nail both areas. Could be good for you and make both days high odds. And we all like high odds
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:26 am

It sounds like a great area! I would back off on it and hunt it from the outside in until you observe something, then make your move.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:34 am

Twenty Up wrote:
Ol'DanBoone wrote:Dude, im no expert by any mean, but 700 yds apart, on diff ridges?? I wouldnt evrn worry about it. Honestly, id be more worried about it being a high deer density area. Thas just my uniformed opinion.

I hear that, it's actually 466 yards from bed to bed after I checked. So roughly ~230 yards, not sure if that's too close or not.. Never done this before

That is pretty close, I would adjust your entry routes or at least the entry and exit on the first sit. Like Stan mentioned, the wind will also be a key factor.
venisonassassin
500 Club

Unread postby venisonassassin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:41 am

For me there is only one way to find out. Sneak in there and hunt both when the wind is right. As long as you don't think that they can see your approach or smell you you should be good.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:30 pm

The problem is that I have a time crunch due to my job & school, giving me MAYBE 3 days a week to hunt this place. Also this particular tract is open for a limited time period.. So the chances that I will have the proper wind, on one of those 2 or 3 days that I can hunt within several weeks time is slim.

That being said, I'm very interested in stacking the beds. My thinking it to come in from the East and bump the one buck bed pushing him further West towards the larger bedding area.

OR I could come in from my intended route (dead center) and push that bedded buck out or just forget about him and go for the main ridge where multiple bucks are bedding.

Catch is I know where that one bedded buck goes from his rub line leaving the bed, the larger bedding area I can only hope they're going to hit the creek bottom and catch them as they try getting a drink. That particular setup will also be perfect for the wind/thermal

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”