r u a lone wolf?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

How much of your deer hunting time is spent with friends / family in the same general area?

Total votes: 0
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: r u a lone wolf?

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:42 am

Bowhunting about 50 percent, gun 0%. I share a piece with 3 other guys, each with a different view on how to hunt it :( . I also have a few private and public pieces that I hunt lonewolf :) , definetly prefer to be by myself bowhunting. As for gun, I just gun hunt because, doesn't really bother me hunting with others.

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:18 pm

Prolly around 50 maybe slightly less. Love to go it alone in the woods, but there is some cool stuff you can do with people you know well and know land well with. Then I always try to do my part with recruitment of youths and others.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:25 pm

I usually hunt alone. It's easier to plan and the group thing can have more drama then I want. I would love to have a partner for the road trips but it would have to be the right partner.
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:30 pm

Not really sure how to answer..My land is hunted by others, but when we go out to hunt, we all go our separate ways. This past season, my girlfriend started hunting with me, so about 50% of the time I set up two stands in one tree so I could help coach her (not in any of my good spots..just spots that generally see alot of deer movement).
hunt n nut
500 Club

Unread postby hunt n nut » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:32 pm

I almost always hunt with my 15 year old son, he got his first buck this year with the bow, my buddy and his son were there and I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world. Its so much fun to share those precious moments in the woods with someone. I still hunt with my buddy quite a bit, but not as much as I used to. I believe you can be more successful alone, but passing it on to someone is very satisfying, plus we respect each others space and help each other out too. Besides, I know how teenagers are and am enjoying it while I can.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:44 pm

I chose 50% because my grandpa is my hunting partner. He and I do all our hunting together. He has one stand he hunts out of and that's it so I have the rest of our private land and public across the road to roam as I please. I also hunt with a buddy on HIS families farm but his lack of attention to detail and preparation alerts a lot of the deer we're after. I find hunting with many of my peers to be a headache as many of them spend only a few weekends a yr in the woods but think they know everything because they saw some guy do it on the outdoor channel... My public land hunting, small farm hunting where I gain permission and other spots that aren't the family land are hunted alone. I enjoy hunting by myself or with my grandpa while bow hunting. I don't even take gun hunting serious and don't enjoy it much but I do spend most of the 9 day season at deer camp with the guys.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
RaisedByWolves
500 Club

Unread postby RaisedByWolves » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:48 pm

i picked 25%. depends on where i am going. if it is one of my better spots i always go alone. i enjoy hunting with my dad from time to time and a couple good friends
When better is possible, good is never good enough
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:57 pm

PEAKRUT wrote:Bowhunting yes I am a lone wolf. As for gun hunting no I am not
as it is the only time of the year it seems we can get family
and friends together at the same time.

Same for me too!
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:21 pm

I answered 75% with friends and family. Mind you this is a small group of people. My Dad, My youngest brother and my friend Andy. I know without a doubt that this hurts my chances, but at least as far as Dad is concerned I don't know how much time I have to enjoy this with him and I take advantage of it. Each year he seems to hunt less and less and tire more and more. I know that each of them would be very hurt if I quit hunting with them after all these years, and I just don't want them to ever think that I treasured a trophy more than them. I have vacation that I typically try and schedule to hunt alone. This is limited time but they best I can do for now.
I am the one who spends all the time scouting and setting stands, so I do feel successful when they are successful. Each year since being introduced to Dan and many of you I have been able to maximize my time alone and find a few spots for myself that no one else knows about.
I know someday, I will appreciate the decision, and it will be something for me to contemplate and cherish when I am indeed a Lone Wolf living the dreams for those that I once shared so much with. God bless.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:30 pm

Sounds to me like your priorities are EXACTLY where they need to be with your hunting, Indi. My hat's off to you. 8-)
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:56 pm

Lone wolf for me!!! I will help my friends or anyone that needs help, but we all have our own hunting spots on different property.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:01 am

I am definately a Lone Wolf. The only person that knows where my hunting spots are is my wife because I text her my gps coordinates every day in case something happens to me. When I hunt up north all of us guys stay together at the cabin but spread out over a wide area with many miles between us.
I have found that I hunt much better solo but at the end of the day if somebody needs help tracking or getting a deer out of the woods I am right there and think that is by far the best part of the hunt.
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:15 am

I am a Lone Wolf.I bow hunt 100% of the time by myself.And I go to deer camp for a week with my buddies.Deer camp is a tradition that we have done for years.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:53 am

I hunt alone almost all the time. Sometimes my wife will gun hunt, but rarely.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”