Doe bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

JMAR85

Doe bedding

Unread postby JMAR85 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:22 pm

When setting up by doe bedding during the rut, how close do you prefer to get?

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Doe bedding

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:18 pm

If the rut is ON, I like to setup pretty tight. They seem to not like moving unless a buck is on them and you can get away with alot! Time of day definitely matters, but still close for me!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:02 pm

Depends on the situation... I prefer to sit back if the buck has to come thru a tight spot to get there, cause they can be a liitle unpredictable at the doe bedding, but sometimes you need to be right there.
JMAR85

Unread postby JMAR85 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:08 pm

Thanks for the input
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:03 am

Yea not really a single right answer. Have to look at how the bucks are moving from spot to spot, what the sign says, like where are the rubs around that doe bedding and are they facing consistent directions.

If there is a cover transition line on the downwind side of bedding sometimes that's the spot. Sometimes bucks are just going through cutting entry and exit trails. I have also seen bucks head right through the center of a doe bedding area because the next stop on the rut train is on the far side and they don't want to loop around....

It really helps to mark doe bedding areas on a map and think of a buck going from one to the next one. The more doe bedding that might be strung together in a line the better. That is what they are doing if they are cruising.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”