purposly bumping buck beds while scouting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: purposly bumping buck beds while scouting

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:13 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I like to do this right after our gun season ends to find where they go when their pressured. It's usually always in hard to get to remotes spots of public. I've done it to years in a row on one piece of public. This year there was a good buck in there. Definitely getting my attention for next season

It was very helpful in doing this cause in both beds I saw all the bucks that were bedding in them. No need in placing a camera there now. Able to place them else where to monitor some other beds that I just can't get in on to get a look.

Something else interesting and wish the heck I would of known about the second bed the year before. I had a camera placed roughly a half mile from it. Was getting pictures of A huge split g2 buck that would of went over 160. I could not pin point where exactly he was coming from. Ran into another guy hunting the area and he was pretty open in telling me about a huge split G2 buck he was after. He had seen him come out of a tree line between fields. The light came on then cause I knew where his stand was located. He only rifle hunts and uses a climber that I had seen one day cutting through the area the year. I never dreamed that a buck would be bedding in there but sure enough. I placed a camera nearby early this year and it was not him. One day I decided to dive in and take a look. Huge rubs from the year before. No doubt the big boy was living here but found out he was killed on the private property that border this land only a few hundred yards away. At least now I know all that and in the years to come if a big boy shows in this area I know where he will be and how to get in on him.

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Pretty cool man. I'll say this you sure don't take your foot of the gas pedal that's for sure... its no wonder you are a slob slayer!!!
Make It Happen
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:41 am

Great idea and observations Bowhunter.

PK_ wrote:That is exactly how I still hunt bedding areas during gun, just don't do it at times when lots of other hunters are in the woods, you will get bucks killed for sure.

Yea and can take it one step further and park someone on escape routes on the far side. That is one of my bread and butter tactics late season with my two brothers...I have killed just as many bucks moving in on the bedding as setting on escape routes...its still a lethal tactic even if you are by yourself! If you just keep at it, bumping bed after bed, its extremely high odds you will get opportunities at whatever is there. Just like stand hunting beds, it might take 20 times before you find the right buck home.

Keys are knowing the location very well including exactly where the beds are, knowing when you can move fast and when to slow down to almost stationary.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:06 am

Guys in the have thought we were crazy because many times, we intentionally will push a bedding area to verify the bucks are using it. This is a tactic that I will use in season if I am having no luck locating the buck. Had beauty of a buck that I was scouting this year. Spent all of September trying to bump him from known bedding areas. Spent very little time hunting...ton more time scouting him. Unfortunately, had no luck bumping him. (but it was not for lack of trying).

When I rifle hunted many years ago, killed couple good bucks with just 2 of us using this very same tactic as Joe mentioned. Maine is pretty touchy when it comes to driving deer. You hunt more than 3 guys together, its considered driving deer. 10 guys, 5 pushers and 5 standers is 100% not legal here.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”