Real Secrets...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Real Secrets...

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:17 am

On the flip side, I cannot believe some of the stuff you can get away with when it comes to hunting bedded deer. 2013, had a buck 60yds away. He could not see me. I pumped up the tree with my climber. 5 minutes later, the buck comes in and beds down right in front of me.

When I pulled cams, realized that buck was up on his feet feeding on apples when I was pumping up in the tree.

Ever have the moment when you make a clang or a bang...shaking your head because you think its over? Only to put a tag on the deer you were chasing at the end of the night? Late season came close to closing the deal on a 4.5yr old buck. I made so much noise that night getting in the tree. Shaking my head, rolling my eyes. Had deer all around me that night. So even when I make a bang, never give up.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:32 am

I truly think every experience you have while hunting be it good or bad, helps you grow and develop as a hunter! And most of all...ENJOY yourself while hunting!

If bad, learn from it, and don't do it again!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:01 am

Lockdown wrote:You really have to analyze the specific conditions you are up against. Sneaking when everything is green early season is night and day different than when it's dead and dry. Some locations might require some wind to help cover your noise. Or maybe a step further, rain/wet conditions.

I have quite a few beds that I know I can't get to unless I've got some cover noise.

Very good advice. Every situation is different. I like to take advantage of anything that can cover my approach even timing my movement with wind gusts.

Marsh hunting especially in mid to late October I can get away with a lot just because of the huge waterfowl migrations. It can get downright loud at times which allows you to get away with a lot by taking advantage of this cover sound. Later in the season it will be dead silent and so much harder to sneak in.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:50 am

I just ordered his Marsh Bedding video a few days ago. I can't wait for it to get here!
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:32 pm

I am the poster child for making mistakes :lol: Seriously, we need to not only use the tools we bring w/us...but how can we use the battle field to our advantage. Using different types of cover to get in, ravines,corn...Play the cross wind to sneak up on a buck from behind to get in the "safe" zone,etc...Unfortunately, I seem to make mistakes to learn.
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:02 am

We all do^^^
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:46 am

There are leaves everywhere in the hills and hollows, if it's dry you may as well be walking on broken glass, not to mention when there's a frost on the ground. There are some places I won't go until right after a good rain so I know I can be quieter on access. High winds help too.
88jeep

Unread postby 88jeep » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:16 am

bwwma wrote:There are leaves everywhere in the hills and hollows, if it's dry you may as well be walking on broken glass, not to mention when there's a frost on the ground. There are some places I won't go until right after a good rain so I know I can be quieter on access. High winds help too.

I'm hunting the same property as you. When I killed my big deer this year it took me 3.5 hrs to walk about a mile. It even sounds crazy to me when I say it. I think if hadn't taken that much time to get in there I never would have saw him. When I got setup I looked and saw him less than 100 yards away coming back to his bed. He never looked toward me and never knew I was there.
If it was easy it wouldn't be an accomplishment.
bwwma

Unread postby bwwma » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:59 pm

I bet that was intense
Lastcast#1

Unread postby Lastcast#1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:41 am

The best secrets I have at this point in my short career is to REMAIN IMPERVIOUS to failing and open to learning at all times...The second would be to know your competition if your hunting pressured public like me here in Michigan..Where ,when, and how often they are hunting..You simply cannot hunt a "good" looking spot if you dont know where the pressure is coming from and how it may influence deer movement in your hunting area..

And lastly rather than spreading yourself to thin scouting a ton of different properties, get to know your areas intimately..Then move on..It really helps to maintain confidence..It has helped me tremendously to have this mindset...Like the fish of a thousand casts...it might just happen on the next one..Oh and of course the Beast!

Chad..
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:05 am

If you aren't making mistakes and failing at what you are trying to accomplish, you really aren't learning anything. I think the greatest things you learn, are from your biggest mistakes.

Make the mistake once and only once, you learned something.

Make the same mistake twice, you haven't learned anything.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:35 am

88jeep wrote:
bwwma wrote:There are leaves everywhere in the hills and hollows, if it's dry you may as well be walking on broken glass, not to mention when there's a frost on the ground. There are some places I won't go until right after a good rain so I know I can be quieter on access. High winds help too.

I'm hunting the same property as you. When I killed my big deer this year it took me 3.5 hrs to walk about a mile. It even sounds crazy to me when I say it. I think if hadn't taken that much time to get in there I never would have saw him. When I got setup I looked and saw him less than 100 yards away coming back to his bed. He never looked toward me and never knew I was there.

I 2nd this, it can be done. Don't worry about how much stand time you get, focus only on your entry. Sometimes it can take 2 or 3+ hours to get in slow and quiet and get setup. You might only hunt an hour or hour and a half but that is what you have to do. My favorite stealthy encounter was sneaking to within 40 yards of a bedded bear late oct when it was dead calm. He finally got nervous as I was climbing a tree with my climber so there was some extra bark noise. Bear ran into the bedding areas so I moved on to another spot slow and quiet and get setup for the last 30 minutes. A lone doe came out but had it been a buck I could have gotten a shot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”