Do you care about hunting on public lands?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: Do you care about hunting on public lands?

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:23 am

JoeRE wrote:Thanks guys.

Didn't know this was posted already in the war cry forum. That's the one place on the Beast I don't go, good for my blood pressure :lol:

But yes, this is very bad. I think a person can tell what this means by looking who is behind it. The sponsor of the bill is a Utah congressman who also was behind that state selling a huge amount of it's state lands. Once its gone, its gone. I don't want much to do with an America without plenty of wild places. People do not have enough opportunities to get outside the way it is. Not just hunters. Everyone. If you want to make this country worse go ahead and take away from that.

:lol: :lol: Getting to that point. I have other causes of high blood pressure that I can't avoid on a daily basis

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:42 am

Thanks JoeRE. This should be posted and shared everywhere and it should not just appeal to hunters. This is everyone's fight and it should be stated as such. Hunters, hikers, trappers, bicyclists, scouts, campers, etc will all be affected. These federal lands were meant to be shared by everyone and not destroyed or auctioned off due to the irresponsible actions of those in government. Those who say these are useless lands will eventually find a way to do this to other lands which they deem "useful" currently until there we don't have public lands. This is not an issue that will go away without the input of the voters and people need to be active and vigilant or as has already been stated we will begin to slowly lose more public/federal lands every year. I will encourage my friends/family to all call their legislators as I feel you can give them a real sense of your emotions with a call over a letter but anything is better than just sitting back and doing nothing.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:26 am

Done...I wrote both this morning.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
utica19

Unread postby utica19 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:39 am

Below is a comment from a reader on the Meat Eater website about that bill. It is not mine, but I think he makes some good points. We all should try to look at both sides of the story before we make a rush to judgement.

" Mike Gordon
you convienantly did not add a few lines to the Bill H.R. 621 : To direct the Secretary of the Interior to sell CERTAIN Federal lands in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming,PREVIOUSLY IDENTIFIED AS SUITABLE FOR DISPOSAL AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES. Now dont get me wrong I have hunted Colorado & Utah Public Land and and I am totally against the selling of itor most public lands but I also acknowledge there very well maybe some lands that I could care less whether my Tax $$'s care for or not. If that is the base language it opens too many doors for abuse but I hope you dont mind if I study this some more before yelling THE SKY IS FALLING. Keep up the good work Steve! "
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:47 am

utica19 wrote:Below is a comment from a reader on the Meat Eater website about that bill. It is not mine, but I think he makes some good points. We all should try to look at both sides of the story before we make a rush to judgement.

" Mike Gordon
you convienantly did not add a few lines to the Bill H.R. 621 : To direct the Secretary of the Interior to sell CERTAIN Federal lands in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming,PREVIOUSLY IDENTIFIED AS SUITABLE FOR DISPOSAL AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES. Now dont get me wrong I have hunted Colorado & Utah Public Land and and I am totally against the selling of itor most public lands but I also acknowledge there very well maybe some lands that I could care less whether my Tax $$'s care for or not. If that is the base language it opens too many doors for abuse but I hope you dont mind if I study this some more before yelling THE SKY IS FALLING. Keep up the good work Steve! "

But where does it stop? Selling off millions of acres at a time will leave future generations with little to none left.
Plus, our tax dollars aren't really "caring for" this land. This land is being managed for income. Could public lands be better managed? Yes, in many cases they could and that is what I hope to see Interior Sec Zinke work toward.
Not all those who wander are lost...
jwilkstn
500 Club

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:51 am

Good news in the short term, Rep Chaffetz from Utah announced he is withdrawing H.R. 621 after hearing loud and clear from sportsmen!

We may have won this battle, but the war is ongoing.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:23 am

jwilkstn wrote:Good news in the short term, Rep Chaffetz from Utah announced he is withdrawing H.R. 621 after hearing loud and clear from sportsmen!

A sincere thank you to everyone who has made their voice heard on this.

There is another bill proposed by Chaffetz. H.R 622 that is very dangerous to public lands as we know it.

The bill:
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/622/all-info

"To terminate the law enforcement functions of the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management and to provide block grants to States for the enforcement of Federal law on Federal land under the jurisdiction of these agencies, and for other purposes."

This one is a lot more dangerous, because it is more devious. If you can't get the land, kill the guard dog that stands watch over it. That is what this is.

By the way, I am sure there are specific parcels, maybe landlocked or whatever, that are of no use to the public and could be put to better use in private hands. But the people behind this bill including Rep Chaffetz of Utah are also on record sporting the sale of massive amounts of public land just to finance routine government operation. The "previously identified for disposal and other purposes" language is a bloody open gate. Other purposes...?

That is how Utah and several other states have kept the books balanced for several decades now, by selling state land. No one has ever prospered by pawning the family jewels. Its usually a last ditch effort to buy one more hit.
Islandhunter

Unread postby Islandhunter » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:30 am

It was great to read this morning that this was withdrawn!
Based on Congressman Jason Chaffetz statement this morning, there was a strong enough reaction to stop it, I am glad we were heard!
I feel as if he was just "testing the waters". This is an item that will need to watched closely in the future.
DeerDylan
500 Club

Unread postby DeerDylan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:15 am

Islandhunter wrote:It was great to read this morning that this was withdrawn!
Based on Congressman Jason Chaffetz statement this morning, there was a strong enough reaction to stop it, I am glad we were heard!
I feel as if he was just "testing the waters". This is an item that will need to watched closely in the future.

Agreed.
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:22 am

jwilkstn wrote:Good news in the short term, Rep Chaffetz from Utah announced he is withdrawing H.R. 621 after hearing loud and clear from sportsmen!

Guess I should have finished reading the thread before I sent out emails...oh well, I suppose it's best they heard from me even though I was late to the party.

Thanks for starting the thread Joe!
“I only live once, I will not die a coward “ - Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:08 pm

Keep public lands public.
jwilkstn
500 Club

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:25 pm

JoeRE wrote:
This one is a lot more dangerous, because it is more devious. If you can't get the land, kill the guard dog that stands watch over it. That is what this is.

EXACTLY!

The common denominator it seems in all the politicians pushing to transfer and/or weaken public lands is they are all financed by individuals and companies who directly seek to profit from the changes.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”