The Problem Behind The Big Antler Craze

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

whitetaildna
Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitetaildna

The Problem Behind The Big Antler Craze

Unread postby whitetaildna » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:40 am

http://www.whitetaildna.com/resources/2017/1/4/the-problem-behind-the-big-antler-craze

Hey guys I'm curious as to what everyone's thoughts are on this topic? I feel like recently, I've been seeing so much negativity surrounding big bucks, I felt compelled to write about it. I think it's important for some people, myself included, to sometimes take a step back, and realize why we do what we do. I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks about this!

Alex Comstock

Founder of WhitetailDNA

http://www.whitetaildna.com
Motivated
500 Club

Re: The Problem Behind The Big Antler Craze

Unread postby Motivated » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:11 am

Well written. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:20 am

I think the root of the negativity comes from the TV shows and the eleitest mentality. Show after show, it's plant this, plant that. Don't shoot this or you will never kill a big one. Well, the one I'm told not to shoot might be the biggest deer I've ever seen. Suddenly your best buck is nothing. At the end of every show " I like to thank (insert outfitter). To me that means somebody else hunted that deer and you were the trigger man. Most people can't afford to farm deer either. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, but one can't put themselves on a pedestal because of it. Example, take 2 hunters from Florida. One has the funds, vacation, and supporting wife to travel to Illinois on an outfitted hunt every year. The other hunts public at home. Who has the best shot at killing a PY? I promise the one hunting the public doesn't want to be lectured about what color the beans need to be.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:23 am

Buckshot20 wrote:I think the root of the negativity comes from the TV shows and the eleitest mentality. Show after show, it's plant this, plant that. Don't shoot this or you will never kill a big one. Well, the one I'm told not to shoot might be the biggest deer I've ever seen. Suddenly your best buck is nothing. At the end of every show " I like to thank (insert outfitter). To me that means somebody else hunted that deer and you were the trigger man. Most people can't afford to farm deer either. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it, but one can't put themselves on a pedestal because of it. Example, take 2 hunters from Florida. One has the funds, vacation, and supporting wife to travel to Illinois on an outfitted hunt every year. The other hunts public at home. Who has the best shot at killing a PY? I promise the one hunting the public doesn't want to be lectured about what color the beans need to be.

I posted before I read it. Great write up. Hunting is suppose to be fun.
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:40 am

But the writer is putting it on the guy doing all the work. Or all on one person. It takes two to ruin families or friendships. And I will elaborate a little on that.

Now lets put a little spin on it. And honestly my friend and I are in this situation.

I guess you could call us "sub-missives". We both hunt this one piece of property that a gentleman is kind of grooming the herd. He lets the smaller deer walk, and he shoots the 4 or 5 year old bucks. Now he owns this large farm, and he loves the sport. He took me under his wing, and other than him, my friend, and I, there is no one else that hunts this 450 acre farm. Now I will get to the point. When he first gave us permission he said to us, all I ask is that you don't shoot a ton of the bucks (crop damage permit.) He said we could harvest one a year. BUT if we saw a specific deer, we were NOT allowed to shoot it. And this guy has a very long history with this deer. So we respect that. And honestly I passed a quite a few bucks this year. And honestly that's all I saw on this property. He told us especially if the deer has bad genetics, to shoot.

Now granted his property is bordered by a large chunk of state land, I could hunt there right on the property line and shoot the same bucks if he kicked me off the property.

Also, I feel like if someone I hunted with found a buck and didnt tell me, and I found out, I would not be mad at all. Especially not mad enough to end a friendship. Its a deer. Who are you going to tell the stories to if you lose all your friends over it? lol And also, if someone I hunted with said on this piece of state land, there is a massive deer and I would appreciate it if you wouldnt shoot it, I probably wouldnt haha. Because I cherish my friendships with my hunting buddies.

IDK i feel like it takes two antler crazed hunters to do it. I mean I am antler crazed. I always will be. But priorities and morals play into it a lot more to me than anything else. I have noticed that a lot of hunters have lists of bucks in a specific order on their "hit List" and they have a list of things that they need in a specific order. But when it comes to morals, ethics, and priorities, they have a specific order, and unfortunately antlers are ahead of friendship and good times.
Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

Unread postby Jrichard » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:54 am

Also I have one more question.

Am I crazy for letting a 3 year relationship walk out the door over hunting? Now, the only explanation she gave me was "You're too outdoorsy".

But I love the sport, and I am not going to give up for anyone. Its too bad she had to make me choose. But how to give up something thats never asked for anything, for someone who has asked you for everything. Even taking the only other thing in your life that makes you happy.
goldtip5575
500 Club

Unread postby goldtip5575 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:45 am

Sounds like another example of trying to put drama into hunting. I deal with enough drama everyday I hunt to escape drama.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:22 am

I am what I am, and that's all that I am. Be yourself and change only for the better.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:28 am

The only problem that I've really seen is getting access to private property. It used to be easy. Now it's either a no go or how much money will you spend to hunt.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:58 am

I think it's a personality flaw in some people that carries onto their everyday lives. Some people are just jerks plain and simple. Those that hunt just to stroke their own ego's are the one's causing so much negativity towards trophy hunting in general. People are steered wrong when hunting becomes a competition especially if money is involved in some way. It's amazing what some people will do to prove they are a better hunter than the next guy.

I hunt for fun and enjoy chasing big bucks. If the next guy shoots a bigger buck even if it's one I am after I'm very happy for him. Nothing sucks the fun out of something faster than greed and jealousy.
whitetaildna
Facebook: www.facebook.com/whitetaildna

Unread postby whitetaildna » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:14 am

Dewey wrote:I think it's a personality flaw in some people that carries onto their everyday lives. Some people are just jerks plain and simple. Those that hunt just to stroke their own ego's are the one's causing so much negativity towards trophy hunting in general. People are steered wrong when hunting becomes a competition especially if money is involved in some way. It's amazing what some people will do to prove they are a better hunter than the next guy.

I hunt for fun and enjoy chasing big bucks. If the next guy shoots a bigger buck even if it's one I am after I'm very happy for him. Nothing sucks the fun out of something faster than greed and jealousy.

I totally agree with you on this one. I know a few guys that made shooting big bucks an unhealthy competition, and they were jerks about it big time. I don't think it's a coincidence they are jerks in their everyday lives. Great point.
Alex Comstock

Founder of WhitetailDNA

http://www.whitetaildna.com
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:11 am

Gotta admit that in your scenario. I'd probably still share the info and both go in pursuit. But I'd still be super jealous if my partner got it. Or rub it in his face if I did. :mrgreen:

But your right this seems to be a bigger problem today than 20 years ago. All the hype with the media today encourages alot of it. Years ago it would take months if not years to get a story on a monster taken somewhere in this country. With all of the social media sites it's out there almost instantly.

The type of scenario you mentioned isn't really just a hunting thing. With all of these social media sites. Along with how quick we can now get news and information. Even the video games being played. It's more about instant gratification and self promotion in our society right now!!!

Sadly if this continues. We'll all be in for a rude awakening. When things go totally to H E "double hockey sticks" someday!!!!!
Outdoor814
500 Club

Unread postby Outdoor814 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:56 am

It's only a problem for someone who lets it become one. If you hunt with someone and they become sour from your success there the one who has a problem not you.

I hunt with a buddy a lot and he hasn't taken a big buck yet and there hasn't been any jealousness from his end.

If you have a friend that is lazy And doesn't want to find his own spots and becomes mad at you because you kill bigger deer than him then maybe it's time he find a lazy partner that is on the same agenda.

Like I said. It's only a problem if you let it become one.
Joe™
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:14 pm

Don't hunt or hang out with jerks, problem solved ;)

Like goldtip said, most of us have to deal with jerks on occasion in our everyday lives...heck if I will do it doing something relaxing and fun like hunting.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:45 pm

Most of my family are jerks like this. Everything they do is to stroke their own ego. Not big bucks (they aren't good hunter) but the number of deer they kill. My uncle shoots two fawns, you shoot a p&y buck. He believes he is the better hunter because he got 2 to your 1.

Why do I hunt with them? No other option. Still in school, still live at home. Either put up and shut up, or do something else on weekends.

My love of hunting isn't changed by them. My drive to be successful in life so I CAN hunt elsewhere far away from them, is fueled by my hatred for how they act.

Will I bury relationships with people over hunting? Yeah I would. I am who I am, I love what I do, and I'm proud of my accomplishments little or small. I'm not conforming to what others believe.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”