Never Waste an Encounter

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jlaneb
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SENDITTV/

Never Waste an Encounter

Unread postby Jlaneb » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:34 pm

Today I was on my morning jog. A few miles in a doe and two older fawns came out of the woodline 50 yards to my front. They attempted to cross the street, but vehicle traffic pushed them back into the woods in which they came. They didn't seem to notice me, so I challenged myself to get as close as possible for as long as possible. I stalked to within 20 yards at one point and followed them as they moved for about 80 yards through some moderately thick vegetation. The trails were worn enough that I could move easily and the ground was saturated so I was nice and quiet. The wind was in my favor and I was delighted to watch these deer for about 20 minutes as we moved. I found their beds. Three perfectly oval pads in thick undergrowth surprisingly close to the road. The wind would have been at their back this morning, their eyes towards the road, and a deep stream with running water also to their back. They could escape to their left and right. There were still some acorns on the ground after a mild Georgia Fall and Winter.

I learned that I can stalk surprisingly close to whitetail in decent conditions. I learned that being light and mobile makes it a of a lot easier, and that deer in my area will bed near roads, even during late season. Above all it made what would have been a routine early morning workout a little more delightful and exciting. Never waste an encounter!

Jackson Marsh

Re: Never Waste an Encounter

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:38 pm

Cool!
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:22 pm

I learned this past season that I could get rather close as well. Even without, no scent or cover scent....

Go get em!!

Although, I will say, when they are on high alert for whatever reason, very, very hard to get close!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:36 pm

8-)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:43 pm

:handgestures-thumbup: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”