Keeping a Journal

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Jonny
500 Club

Re: Keeping a Journal

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:50 am

cbay wrote:Been trying to use waypoint descriptions to avoid a journal for the last year. It's not the same. Really need to get back to a journal.

In my opinion, waypoint descriptions are a huge PITA. Tried it last year and hated it more than having my wisdom teeth pulled out

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:14 am

Good reminder. I've kept a detailed journal since 1996. Every day, every condition, every sighting. Very informative and makes it relatively easy to put together patterns. I usually like to pick one detail each off season and dive in deep with it. Example: (moon position) and compare my sightings of deer, mature deer, movement timing, etc. Another example: (variances in temperate above/below normal). This one surprised me as I am close to 50/50 on sightings with mature deer on days when the temps are above normal vs below normal. (I suppose this has to do more with how I hunt though.) This off season I'm diving in deeper with barometric pressure on hunt days since 1996 as that's the one area I never really paid much attention to and could very well be the most significant. We will see I guess.

When you have loads of data it's fun to do a little mini study even though the sample is relatively small. I find it helpful for me and gives me things to focus on when attempting to time my hunts now that I have a family and much less time to hunt.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:59 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:Good reminder. I've kept a detailed journal since 1996. Every day, every condition, every sighting. Very informative and makes it relatively easy to put together patterns. I usually like to pick one detail each off season and dive in deep with it. Example: (moon position) and compare my sightings of deer, mature deer, movement timing, etc. Another example: (variances in temperate above/below normal). This one surprised me as I am close to 50/50 on sightings with mature deer on days when the temps are above normal vs below normal. (I suppose this has to do more with how I hunt though.) This off season I'm diving in deeper with barometric pressure on hunt days since 1996 as that's the one area I never really paid much attention to and could very well be the most significant. We will see I guess.

When you have loads of data it's fun to do a little mini study even though the sample is relatively small. I find it helpful for me and gives me things to focus on when attempting to time my hunts now that I have a family and much less time to hunt.

1996? Dang that's a lot of data. That's when I was born. But good ideas on variances in temperature and pressure. I use pressure a lot for fishing but could make a difference hunting. More tabs to add to my excel sheet :D
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:22 am

Jonny wrote:
Ridgerunner7 wrote:Good reminder. I've kept a detailed journal since 1996. Every day, every condition, every sighting. Very informative and makes it relatively easy to put together patterns. I usually like to pick one detail each off season and dive in deep with it. Example: (moon position) and compare my sightings of deer, mature deer, movement timing, etc. Another example: (variances in temperate above/below normal). This one surprised me as I am close to 50/50 on sightings with mature deer on days when the temps are above normal vs below normal. (I suppose this has to do more with how I hunt though.) This off season I'm diving in deeper with barometric pressure on hunt days since 1996 as that's the one area I never really paid much attention to and could very well be the most significant. We will see I guess.

1996? Dang that's a lot of data. That's when I was born. But good ideas on variances in temperature and pressure. I use pressure a lot for fishing but could make a difference hunting. More tabs to add to my excel sheet :D

Whoa..I feel old all the sudden:(
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:07 am

This is a great reminder. I truly do believe that one can benefit from keeping a good journal. It could be something so little that you noted, that could be the difference to figuring out the last piece to a puzzle.

I will be the first to admit that I have done a poor job at keeping up a journal. Every year when fall roles around, I have one all set to keep up on. But seems once mid October or so hits, that I really start slacking on entering the information. I really need to get better at that.
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:54 am

I've been keeping semi scouting notes the last few years. But I don't do it for when I'm hunting.

Just found this looks like it could be a easy way to keep a journal
https://www.timeboxapp.com/
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:10 am

I'm very curious what you find with barometric pressure. I recently listened to Mark Drury's W2H podcast and he really puts a lot into it. Would love to hear your findings if you don't mind sharing.
Ridgerunner7
500 Club

Unread postby Ridgerunner7 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:25 am

rbuckleyjr1 wrote:

I'm very curious what you find with barometric pressure. I recently listened to Mark Drury's W2H podcast and he really puts a lot into it. Would love to hear your findings if you don't mind sharing.

Absolutely man. I'm curious as well and wish I'd paid more attention sooner.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:38 am

Ridgerunner7 wrote:
rbuckleyjr1 wrote:

Listened to the same podcast. Very interesting. Definitely some interesting ideas.
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:54 am

mainebowhunter wrote:
Ridgerunner7 wrote:
rbuckleyjr1 wrote:

Listened to the same podcast. Very interesting. Definitely some interesting ideas.

Yup. Same here. That was a great podcast.

If I remember correctly. Mark Drury was saying that the high pressure systems trump any other weather systems. Crazy the amount of detail he knew about it. Awesome stuff.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:59 am

strutnrut716 wrote:I've kept a detailed journal for many years. Also use a Garmin GPS and load waypoints onto laptop Garmin Basecamp.

When I really get busy hunting many days in a row (seems to happen more often while turkey hunting) I will use my Olympus Digital Voice Recorder (Model VN-4100PC) which is small pocket size. After the hunt when I jump into my truck to drive home I start talking about the hunt and recording myself. I usually don't have a short drive home so it works great. This unit comes with a usb cord and then I just load the wave file onto my laptop. Then I dont have to write a log when I get home. But I usually prefer to write a log.

Also, if I'm hunting with other family members or friends and we text via phone back and forth (ie "just had a small buck come by from the north") these texts have time and date stamps. So when you get back home and try to remember "what time was that" its time stamped. Works great.

Man this is just what I need. My crazy movements caused by my Chronic Lyme. Makes my chicken scratchings even more undescernable!!! What's a unit cost and where do you find them?
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:26 am

Findian wrote:I've been keeping semi scouting notes the last few years. But I don't do it for when I'm hunting.

Just found this looks like it could be a easy way to keep a journal
https://www.timeboxapp.com/

That looks like it could be very useful! Simple to take pictures and videos while scouting. Could record video thoughts after a hunt on the drive home. Keeps it all organized and backed up. I think I will play around with it and see if it is as good as it looks! Thanks Findian!!
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:44 am

I used to keep a journal in a 4x6 journal book. It also has a pocket in the back for pictures. Having the information in the journal is invaluable. Just comparing the journal for what worked during high mast years and low mast years gives you a great reference to start.

I haven't kept it for the last couple of years as I have hunted only a few times as I am having trouble getting around these days.

Rich M wrote:This year I plan on keeping a detailed scouting log as well as the journal on here. Hoping to be hunting public in 2 or 3 different areas in FL and hopefully in KS as well. GPS coordinates, aerials, topos, etc. will be in the journal. Computers make this stuff easy - you mark in on Google Earth and then overlay the topo and it is very close. I also use the soil survey information overlay.

Rich, what do you use the soil survey info for?

Thanks,

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:10 am

To me... this kind of stuff is never redundant. Some kind of note taking is one of the "small things" that add up, thank you Lock. I could see myself starting and pooping out on this endeavor. My plan is to try a journal, but at least GPS and video (w/ descriptions) everything. I've seen DIY guy on youtube do this. Everything will go to computer to go w/ maps, GPS info... :clap:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:26 am

stash59 wrote:
strutnrut716 wrote:I've kept a detailed journal for many years. Also use a Garmin GPS and load waypoints onto laptop Garmin Basecamp.

When I really get busy hunting many days in a row (seems to happen more often while turkey hunting) I will use my Olympus Digital Voice Recorder (Model VN-4100PC) which is small pocket size. After the hunt when I jump into my truck to drive home I start talking about the hunt and recording myself. I usually don't have a short drive home so it works great. This unit comes with a usb cord and then I just load the wave file onto my laptop. Then I dont have to write a log when I get home. But I usually prefer to write a log.

Also, if I'm hunting with other family members or friends and we text via phone back and forth (ie "just had a small buck come by from the north") these texts have time and date stamps. So when you get back home and try to remember "what time was that" its time stamped. Works great.

Man this is just what I need. My crazy movements caused by my Chronic Lyme. Makes my chicken scratchings even more undescernable!!! What's a unit cost and where do you find them?

stash....Ive seen them on Amazon for about $ 80 used. Brand new can be pricey ( $200 + ). Maybe check craigslist, ebay, etc.. The unit I have is at least 5 years old. My wife got it to record meetings where she works..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”