Missouri public land, Rebels cove, mineral hills or union ridge

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bucknuts19

Missouri public land, Rebels cove, mineral hills or union ridge

Unread postby Bucknuts19 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:42 am

I've been hunting private for the last couple of years in Putnam county and that has come to a end. I'm a lineman with 3 kids so I just couldn't compete with outfitters money. So this year it's time to get back to my roots of public land hunting. Heading over in Feb to start the leg work of a 4 day scouting trip. I'm from Michigan so I'm used to hunting pressure and dealing with hunters. It's just part of the game. My question is which place holds a good amount of deer. I'm leaning mineral hills but the terrain on the others looks good also. Just looking for some ideas. I have already went through 7gb on my phone researching and looking at maps. And I have real expectations that a 150 is not around every corner. Thanks for any info

thwack16
500 Club

Re: Missouri public land, Rebels cove, mineral hills or union ridge

Unread postby thwack16 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:56 am

Something you might want to chew on, I live 10 hours away, have never physically been closer than 4 hours, and have never hunted closer than 5 hours to those places; yet I know exactly where they are, know a handful of people that have been, and one group that goes every season.

Most public is going to be crowded I agree, but a little work, which it seems like you're willing to do, and I bet you can find something that will receive a little less pressure than those.

Good luck!
Bucknuts19

Unread postby Bucknuts19 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:40 am

thwack16 wrote:Something you might want to chew on, I live 10 hours away, have never physically been closer than 4 hours, and have never hunted closer than 5 hours to those places; yet I know exactly where they are, know a handful of people that have been, and one group that goes every season.

Most public is going to be crowded I agree, but a little work, which it seems like you're willing to do, and I bet you can find something that will receive a little less pressure than those.

Good luck!

Thanks. Looking forward to the work that's the best part.
Bucknuts19

Unread postby Bucknuts19 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 am

New to this site. Looks like I should have posted this in the public land forum. Rookie!! Lol
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:11 pm

Having been on all of them i liked rebels cove the best from what i saw. That big muddy bottom chariton river running through it may give you some access that others wont try if you find a way across.
Bucknuts19

Unread postby Bucknuts19 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:23 am

Well I have my maps all done with places I want to scout. Now waiting for the end of February to get here and I'm off to get my feet wet in some new public ground.
BunB231
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brooks.bunbury

Unread postby BunB231 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:39 pm

I'm driving from Michigan for Dan's workshop this weekend, then spending Sunday to Tuesday scouting northern MO. Planning a trip for the last 10 day of October. Give me a shout if your in the area late Oct. this fall. Good luck with your scouting trip
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:08 pm

I haven’t hunted Missouri yet, but this might be a good starting point:

https://mdc.mo.gov/property/property-as ... users/mrap
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:05 am

i plead the 5th :whistle:

What I will say while trying not to say too much is I cybered all 3 of those and every other spec of public in N MO. Ultimately I stayed away from the northern part of the state.

Find a larger chunk with less access. Get away from the major cities and highways. Get your boots on the ground and you will find paradise if you put in the time and miles. You may not find it first year but within 3 years you will likely find your murder hole, better save $$ for taxi.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
SEMObowhunter

Unread postby SEMObowhunter » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:02 am

Public land in the northern half of the state tends to get crowded due to them being smaller in size. The hype of the bigger deer being north of I-70 also attracts the out of state folks to that area as well. Not telling you where to look or what to do, but there are other geographical areas of the state that produce just as well. I have hunted north MO in years past and saw some bucks like what you read about. But, I’ve seen some of the same caliber in other areas of the state as well.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”