What Do You Guys Think??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jrichard
Facebook: Rhode Island

What Do You Guys Think??

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:20 am

So I have been playing with an idea and I have tried it myself. Now I know most everyone on here goes out, finds a dandy target buck, and then hunts him. And I was kind of surfing the web and came across what I thought was an AWESOME concept. Especially for guys like myself who do not have much private land to hunt as well as not too many good pods of deer or woods to hunt.

Anyway, I am not sure if there are any copy right infringements or anything like that so I am not going to state names or anything, but I was surfing the web and came across this thing called a MRC (Map Reading Challenge). There is a score sheet, and what you do is you pick a new piece of land, you have the option to scout it or go in blind, depending on how comfortable you are with your abilities. And at the end of the hunt if you harvest something you go through this check list and you come up with a score based on things such as if it was public or private. if it was your first or second sit. so on and so forth.

I dont know, I thought it was pretty cool. And I wasnt sure if we could make a thread for it. Seems like a cool way to sharpen our skills, and make it a little more fun. I know sometimes we all get so wrapped up in this one buck or one spot and we tend to lose track of the fun and games of hunting. Maybe this would help break some of the tensions of a potential rough season. Because I know that if I had a rough season, doing this and going against the grain could potentially turn my season right around.

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: What Do You Guys Think??

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:50 am

I think that we all go through that process when we evaluate a new property for hunting. We just do it less formally.

I know that when I am looking to hunt a new property I look at deer numbers, harvest numbers, specific terrain features etc. If it looks good enough to me I will put boots on the ground to see for myself. Has others have said; you can't hunt what isn't there.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:16 am

Call me old fashioned, curmudgeon whatever you like but I wish there were less competitions and scoring systems in hunting. I looked this up and watched a video and I gotta say, I don't like where this is going.

I'm picturing guys posting up videos of marked up maps and throwing out names of public lands followed by hurds of people stomping through the local favorite public land. Maybe that's far fetched who knows. Society is constant competition. We're always trying to quantify who is the greatest at everything. Hunting is an escape from all of that. I just want hunting to remain a personal thing.

Every year there is a big flounder tournament in an area I like to fish. I can't even go near there around that tournament because everybody and their brother is out there trying to catch the biggest flounder to win.

My worst nightmare is coming true, hunting public land has become a fad. It's the cool thing to do.

I think this would be fine for a couple guys or a small group of friends but an Internet wide challenge makes me cringe.

I'll shut up now, RANT OVER.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Wlog wrote:Call me old fashioned, curmudgeon whatever you like but I wish there were less competitions and scoring systems in hunting. I looked this up and watched a video and I gotta say, I don't like where this is going.

I'm picturing guys posting up videos of marked up maps and throwing out names of public lands followed by hurds of people stomping through the local favorite public land. Maybe that's far fetched who knows. Society is constant competition. We're always trying to quantify who is the greatest at everything. Hunting is an escape from all of that. I just want hunting to remain a personal thing.

Every year there is a big flounder tournament in an area I like to fish. I can't even go near there around that tournament because everybody and their brother is out there trying to catch the biggest flounder to win.

My worst nightmare is coming true, hunting public land has become a fad. It's the cool thing to do.

I think this would be fine for a couple guys or a small group of friends but an Internet wide challenge makes me cringe.

I didnt mean for it to be a competition. More or less something to gauge your skills. I mean I would never say where I was when I hunted. But you would have to take their word for it that they are on public land. IDK Just thought maybe it would be a fun little thing kind of like the big buck competition we have going. Something for a story or something like that. Its just me though. Here in RI no one hunts public land often because there are no deer left.
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Ohhhhhh haha, thats Sean mcveigh's deal. He is a good dude. He doesnt do it as competition, he does it to get guys involved and teach map reading. Its not pimping products or junk like that. He puts these on his youtube channel. Chech him out, seans outdoors.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:01 pm

Jrichard wrote:Here in RI no one hunts public land often because there are no deer left.

Seems kinda paradoxical :think: :think: :think:
Not all those who wander are lost...
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:13 am

Wlog wrote:Call me old fashioned, curmudgeon whatever you like but I wish there were less competitions and scoring systems in hunting.

Public land hunting is "popular" for a bunch of reasons -
the outdoor writers have made it a big thing,
people are developing land into residential subdivisions (Many of the places I used to hunt are now planted in houses),
folks are leasing up many farms (talked to a guy this week who has 3 GA leases, a MO lease, and a KS lease -prices range from $3000 and go up to be 1 of 5 or 6 folks on each managed lease),
folks can't afford decent leases or like in my case, keep getting screwed over,
people have done stupid stuff and gotten all hunting prohibited from Joe's Farm (leave gates open, litter, etc.),
Etc.

Now we can get into the competition part of it -
if you can't seal the deal on public, you can't hunt,
folks are tired of seeing people on TV shoot bucks over corn (even when the corn is not visible),
the well managed properties make deer hunting look easy (if they hunted public, they can't shoot bucks like that)
Etc.

This year I'm hunting public land and will see if being part of the Beast will make a difference. I can kill deer on low pressure private, let's see if I can do it on public with limited time - 9 days is a long hunt for a FL WMA and that's about what I'm hoping for in KS.... Trying to save money.

Jrichard wrote:Here in RI no one hunts public land often because there are no deer left.

You will change your attitude as time goes on. There are guys on here who could go and find the deer where you hunt & where I hunt, and kill a nice one that we never knew existed. I'm betting that you and I will be able to make it happen on public land once we learn.
creepingdeth
500 Club
Facebook: Huh?

Unread postby creepingdeth » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:50 am

I know if I think about competition, deer farms, leases...I go to being upset or envy,even depression...(I'm a nut case!).In my mind, I see everything wrong w/hunting. I have to remember, thats MY opinion. Wlog mentioned the word "fad". Remember bell bottoms? I figure things come and go for a reason. Right now, I've got a 2017 plan happening. I'm not letting outside stuff blur my target... :mrgreen:
Yesterdays common sense is no longer common
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:04 am

Jrichard wrote:
Wlog wrote:Call me old fashioned, curmudgeon whatever you like but I wish there were less competitions and scoring systems in hunting. I looked this up and watched a video and I gotta say, I don't like where this is going.

I didnt mean for it to be a competition. More or less something to gauge your skills. I mean I would never say where I was when I hunted. But you would have to take their word for it that they are on public land. IDK Just thought maybe it would be a fun little thing kind of like the big buck competition we have going. Something for a story or something like that. Its just me though. Here in RI no one hunts public land often because there are no deer left.

I get what your saying and I know you have good intentions with this idea. I was speaking more in general with the whole society of hunters and where I think something like this could eventually lead to. I'm sure the guy with the website that came up with this has good intentions too. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:34 am

Adding on to Wlog,
My biggest issue with hunting is too many people like to walk around stroking themselves talking about how great they are. Go on other forums and that's all they do. Talk about their leases in ohio and kansas, complain when there isn't booners running wild all over their property and say how they are the greatest hunters ever cause they shot decent deer on great property. Fishing is the same way, and heck people get aroused when they get a good grade on an exam in school.

Now you come onto the beast, everybody is on the same playing field for the most part. We all hunt public, we all love deer hunting for the hunt and not a way to boast egos. There are guys here who could easily go onto other forums, post their mounts and brag about themselves and nobody would blink an eye. But they don't. Everybody here is similar. We all have different jobs, different lifestyles, and all end up here together. I would bet some guys here could afford those expensive leases or prime land in great areas. But yet we all hunt public because we enjoy the challenge.

Is hunting public becoming the cool thing to do. Sure. Everybody watched MWW and saw the impressive bucks Aaron and his guys got on public. The issue is that most hunters don't understand the amount of work they put in to find those spots. Give it a couple years and the public land excitement will die down when guys realize it isn't as easy as tv makes it look. I will tell people exactly what piece of public I was on when I am hunting a piece that is over 300,000 acres. I'll never see another hunter in most of the areas I am looking to hunt cause most people don't want to go through that.

What sean is doing is a good idea. It really is and caters to people who like competition and ego boosting. I will not say that was his intent or that he is a bad guy or anything. I don't know him so I am just giving my opinion. From his youtube videos, he seems like a good honest guy. I always assume everybody has good intentions until I confidently know otherwise. That being said, I am not a fan of competition, I will always admit when I am beat (very often) and really don't care about somebody shooting a bigger buck than me. I shot a small 6 point this year and got the same amount of praise here as somebody who shot an absolute stud of a deer. That's why I am here. We don't care about the size of the rack. We care about how we got there and the experiences we had doing it.

Rant over.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jrichard

Unread postby Jrichard » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:55 am

Jonny wrote:Adding on to Wlog,
My biggest issue with hunting is too many people like to walk around stroking themselves talking about how great they are. Go on other forums and that's all they do. Talk about their leases in ohio and kansas, complain when there isn't booners running wild all over their property and say how they are the greatest hunters ever cause they shot decent deer on great property. Fishing is the same way, and heck people get aroused when they get a good grade on an exam in school.

Now you come onto the beast, everybody is on the same playing field for the most part. We all hunt public, we all love deer hunting for the hunt and not a way to boast egos. There are guys here who could easily go onto other forums, post their mounts and brag about themselves and nobody would blink an eye. But they don't. Everybody here is similar. We all have different jobs, different lifestyles, and all end up here together. I would bet some guys here could afford those expensive leases or prime land in great areas. But yet we all hunt public because we enjoy the challenge.

Is hunting public becoming the cool thing to do. Sure. Everybody watched MWW and saw the impressive bucks Aaron and his guys got on public. The issue is that most hunters don't understand the amount of work they put in to find those spots. Give it a couple years and the public land excitement will die down when guys realize it isn't as easy as tv makes it look. I will tell people exactly what piece of public I was on when I am hunting a piece that is over 300,000 acres. I'll never see another hunter in most of the areas I am looking to hunt cause most people don't want to go through that.

What sean is doing is a good idea. It really is and caters to people who like competition and ego boosting. I will not say that was his intent or that he is a bad guy or anything. I don't know him so I am just giving my opinion. From his youtube videos, he seems like a good honest guy. I always assume everybody has good intentions until I confidently know otherwise. That being said, I am not a fan of competition, I will always admit when I am beat (very often) and really don't care about somebody shooting a bigger buck than me. I shot a small 6 point this year and got the same amount of praise here as somebody who shot an absolute stud of a deer. That's why I am here. We don't care about the size of the rack. We care about how we got there and the experiences we had doing it.

Rant over.

Now one thing I do want to point out, its about your ability to get on deer. Not necessarily how big the deer is. A 180 inch buck would score the same as a spike or a fork horn. Its more of a scoring system of consistently getting on deer. It all comes down to if you harvested a deer. If you did then you get so many points for it if its a buck or a doe. The biggest factor seems to be the estimated age of the deer. A 5 year old doe would score better than a 2 year old buck. Also how close they came when you got the shot so a 10 yard shot would score more than a 40 yard shot. If you scouted before hand or not and went in blind (if you went in blind you'd get extra points). How many times you had to sit the spot before harvesting a deer. And so on. If its public land its more points. IF you video your hunt, if you got it on camera you get bonus points lol. It seems more or less of a competition with yourself. You would print out the score sheet and see if you could get better and better on different pieces of land. But my thing is it seems more like its a personal thing. IF you lie and say oh yeah IWas on public land and it was a 5 yard shot and I never even scouted before hand. But you scouted a few times and you sat there 4 times before, and it was really a 25 yard shot. Youre just cheating yourself. Because your Personal Best is based off of a lie. IDK I guess its more or less looking at the glass half empty or half full. hahaha
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:39 am

I have watched a lot of Sean's how to videos, I think he and Bowhunter15 have a combined video for public land tips. Im going to run my last season through it w points and see how it goes, cool find!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”