days in the field poll

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Re: days in the field poll

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:03 am

bigwoodshuntn wrote:
Jonny wrote:
bigwoodshuntn wrote:This really makes me want to start keeping track.

Not to hijack the thread but what's the best way you guys keep log of this info??

I live and breathe microsoft excel. Easily spend 3-4 hours on it daily for school. Any kind of spreadsheet will work and Joe nailed it. Add tabs to everything you can. Temps, leaf drop. The more the better. I try to add exact gps coordinates as well because I don't trust my gps lasting forever and being able to extract numbers from it when I need to. Prepare for the worst and expect the best.

As far as the original question. Its a work in progress for me. Most spots I hunt aren't spots I am confident in. Its a process but I feel like I am starting to figure out how to scout properly and efficiently. Next season I will keep a more updated log and really note the details on a spreadsheet. When I am done, it will be posted here somewhere.

If only I wasn't the most non tech savvy 21 year old to walk the face of the earth :lol: I will have to try something this year though. Thanks for the response to you and Joe.

I'm pretty bad with technology. Most of my struggles in college is due to my lack of understanding of computers. A notebook works just as well as a computer. Just take care of it and don't spill beer on it. Been there done that. I am going to carry a small notebook with me in the woods this year to write down observations and then just put them in my computer after the hunt.

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
flinginairos
500 Club

Unread postby flinginairos » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:31 am

1) how many quality sits this year - beast style (on a target buck, stealth approach, wind and conditions good, you were 100% committed)

Only five "beast" hunts this year and killed on two of them! One was a target buck (second sit at the location after an adjustment) and again on the 4th beast hunt. That wasn't targeting a specific buck, but just buck bedding in general after any decent buck.

2) how many sub-quality sits this year - non beast (sub par areas, just a couple hours, not fully committed, morning hunt etc.)

24 "general" outings. Mostly after work sits, few at my buddies place, some at our Ohio lease

3) how many rut type sits in classic rut spots (funnels, corners etc.)

11 rut hunts. 3 were all day. Around 12 smaller bucks spotted, one 140+ at 30 yards but no shot.

4) how many days or hours spent scouting this year

Not enough. Roughly 25-30 hours

5) buck encounters count

27 bucks spotted. Only two mature, killed one of them. The other I killed was only 2.5.

6) did you kill one? Were you happy with it and was it one you were targeting?

Killed two, one I was targeting and the second I wasn't. Extrmelely happy with my first (biggest/oldest ever) but my second had a lot of ground shrinkage lol, but still happy!

7) mainly public or private

75% Private, 25% public

8) what's your typical terrain like? hill country, river bottoms, farm country, marsh, cedars, big woods, mountains, suburban or other

100% Hillcountry

9) try anything outside the norm? Bump and Dump, tracking, slow push, spot and stalk etc.

Not really new for me, but did a spot and stalk and a decent eight pointer and got within ten feet of him but passed. Nothing crazy outside of my beast sits!
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:43 am

1) 45 sits 100% committed)
2) 1 Wind switched on me and I was mad as hornet and moved.
3) 10 rut sits
4) Don't keep logs but lots
5) 7 good buck encounters passed 6 of them
6) Killed a buck I was not targeting? I don't ever kill a buck I'm not happy with. It's a choice to drop the string on one not a requirement.
7) mainly private 10% public
8) Hill country, river bottoms, farm country.
9) Stuck to what works for me.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
onebuck

Unread postby onebuck » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:00 am

Wow, lot's of great info here. I'll play my own game, even though it make me depressed to see it all in black and white.

1) [b]how many quality sits this year - beast style (on a target buck, stealth approach, wind and conditions good, you were 100% committed)[/b]

2, yep just two. I'm just getting back into bed hunting and have committed myself to devoting a lot of time and energy into preparing for fall of 2017. There is a huge difference in hunting an area where you are 100% confidence the deer is there versus not, it's a mental thing and it lit a fire in me, I have done far too many hope and pray hunts.

[b]2) how many sub-quality sits this year - non beast (sub par areas, just a couple hours, not fully committed, morning hunt etc.)[/b]

not counting gun hunting - 4-6, local spots where I can sneak out for a couple hours. I am trying to juggle family life around my hunting like many of us on here.

[b]3) how many rut type sits in classic rut spots (funnels, corners etc.)
[/b]
2, classic bend in river pinch points, these have produced in the past for me but not this year.

[b]4) how many days or hours spent scouting this year[/b]

I don't want to talk about it, I just hunted spots that I have hunted before. :cry: This is clearly the difference maker and I will have a scouting plan for this spring to prepare for this fall.

[b]5) buck encounters count[/b]

2, bumped a big one out of his bed on two separate occasions. Then hunted it twice using stealth approach but he never showed, low pressure private land so I think his pattern changed due to wind direction not my intrusion but I could be wrong.

[b]6) did you kill one? Were you happy with it and was it one you were targeting?[/b]

terrible season this year, shot a doe in mid October and that was all I have for my effort. Not that I count success on shooting a deer or not, but I just wasn't into them at all this year. I think I had lost my passion or mojo for a little bit, stuck in a rut really badly.

[b]7) mainly public or private
[/b]
80% public, 20% private

[b]8) what's your typical terrain like? hill country, river bottoms, farm country, marsh, cedars, big woods, mountains, suburban or other
[/b]
60% public - marshes, 20% public - river bottoms, 20% private - cedars

[b]9) try anything outside the norm? Bump and Dump, tracking, slow push, spot and stalk etc.
[/b]
Not really. I do hunt Mule deer every year spot and stalk, but that don't count!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:02 am

onebuck wrote:Let's do some info gathering as we plan for next year. I really like the "what went right/what went wrong" threads. Let's get some data.....Here's my questions:
1) how many quality sits this year - beast style (on a target buck, stealth approach, wind and conditions good, you were 100% committed)
2) how many sub-quality sits this year - non beast (sub par areas, just a couple hours, not fully committed, morning hunt etc.)
3) how many rut type sits in classic rut spots (funnels, corners etc.)
4) how many days or hours spent scouting this year
5) buck encounters count
6) did you kill one? Were you happy with it and was it one you were targeting?
7) mainly public or private
7) what's your typical terrain like? hill country, river bottoms, farm country, marsh, cedars, big woods, mountains, suburban or other
8) try anything outside the norm? Bump and Dump, tracking, slow push, spot and stalk etc.

I'd like to get a little data and if there's enough I will compile it into some type of summary.

To start off, I don't keep a journal so these are estimations.

1) 4 sits
2) 25 sits
3) 15 sits
4) 20 days (2-4 hours a day)
5) 5 bucks
6) no buck kills. Shot 1 doe. Missed 1 doe.
7) 100% public
8) 1 bump & dump
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:04 am

I forgot to add...All sits were bow sits.

PS...what happened to the edit button after you post???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
WISCOANDY

Unread postby WISCOANDY » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:21 am

Good thread. I found this site after WI gun season, so I really had no quality sits. Realistically there was one, which would be a first time sit but honestly it was just a rut hunt in a good location on private land.

I had a total of 18 sits, so zero quality hunts isn't very good.

I saw bucks on 7 of these, but only one shooter that was too far. The rest were 1.5 yr olds.

This was after scouting 4 hours.

Since finding the beast, I have already scouted almost 20 hours including cyber scouting. I have identified at least 5 other spots that I will scout by foot in the next 60 days. I believe I can locate a spot or two to hunt of the five, and will be able to get into our private land more intelligently.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”