Calling all Crossbow Hunters

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TreeRat

Calling all Crossbow Hunters

Unread postby TreeRat » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:52 am

Is there any Crossbow hunters here?
What Crossbow do you shoot?
Whats you best deer with it?
How long have you been using a Crossbow?

I shoot a Parker Tornado right but started with a Horton Summit 150

My best is a 11 point about 130 and weighed over230lbs (a hog)

I have been hunting with crossbow for 5 years.

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: Calling all Crossbow Hunters

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:09 am

I have been using a xbow for about 1 year now. I was in a snowmobile accident and ended up damaging the nerve in my right arm limiting the use of my arm. I have the same xbow as you and love it. I shot a 9 point buck last fall you can read about and see pictures in the contest thread. I really don't know alot about xbows, but I will chime in when I can.
GRUD
500 Club

Unread postby GRUD » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:23 am

I have one but I think they are noisy and clumbsy. I have the Horton HD150 because it was the only one I shot that did not scare me. The high poundage and fast crossbows are scary. They are all way too loud for me also. The only reason I have one is for Turkey hunting because I don't end up with all the shot in the bird. I did kill a little buck with it first time out late season a few years back and it worked well but it was loud and when I had to re cock it the rest of the deer around spooked.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:13 pm

I also have a Horton Legend HD 150. It is pretty loud. I have used it the last 2 archery seasons here in MI for deer. Shot 2 deer (small buck and a doe)last year '09. And shot a decent 8 pt with it this year. I have been ground hunting with it. I just creep around with it and try to get me one. Last year I got into turkeys a couple times while deer hunting. Once I just wanted to see how close I could get to the flock. I got close and then just eased out, I was very tempted but didn't have a turkey tag last year.

I don't shoot it because of any physical disability and still shot my regular bow quite a bit all summer and also shot my first deer last year with my regular bow. This year I just didn't like what I was doing with with my regular bow target shooting. I need to, and am going to get another bow, maybe even a recurve. I will see what comes my way.

I fully intend to try the xbow predator hunting this winter. And I really wanted to turkey hunt with it last year, but got in a team contest last year on another forum and didnt want to be experimenting. Maybe this year for turkey.

I am still in the phase where I think it is a cool weapon to hunt with and have a lot of fun shooting with it.
Here is my best with it.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”