Moon Phases

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Octang
500 Club

Moon Phases

Unread postby Octang » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:24 am

In two different podcasts I've heard Dan talk about the importance of being out in the woods when the moon is "overhead" or "underfoot". Can someone tell me exactly what "overhead' and "underfoot" means so I can figure out when that is?

Shed Freak

Re: Moon Phases

Unread postby Shed Freak » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:19 am

It means just that... "Overhead" is when the moon is directly over your head, in your specific location. "Underfoot" is when the moon is directly below the earth, "under your feet". If you think about the earth as a giant clock, "Overhead" the moon position would be 12 o'clock, and "Underfoot" the moon would be at the 6 o'clock poition. It's a theory that I truly believe in, us Muskie fishermen here in MInnesota, LIVE AND DIE by the moon, we are moon freaks haha You can look up what those times are on a website called solunar forecast. Type in your zip code or the zip for the area you are hunting or fishing and it will give you the times. They often refer to "Overhead" as the "Major" and "Underfoot" as the "Minor", as the create major and minor activity (I believe among all living things). You will notice that the "Major" or "Overhead" lasts 2 hours and the "Minor" or "Underfoot" lasts 1 hour. If you are a fishermen and don't pay attention to this you're really missing out. I have just started to pay attention to it for hunting the last few years, I believe it holds true to hunting as well. Anyways I hope that all made sense and I hope I didn't give any bad information. This is what I have learned after reading books about it and putting it to use! I have a few more valuable bits of information about this topic if your are interested.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:26 am

Shed Freak wrote:It means just that... "Overhead" is when the moon is directly over your head, in your specific location. "Underfoot" is when the moon is directly below the earth, "under your feet". If you think about the earth as a giant clock, "Overhead" the moon position would be 12 o'clock, and "Underfoot" the moon would be at the 6 o'clock poition. It's a theory that I truly believe in, us Muskie fishermen here in MInnesota, LIVE AND DIE by the moon, we are moon freaks haha You can look up what those times are on a website called solunar forecast. Type in your zip code or the zip for the area you are hunting or fishing and it will give you the times. They often refer to "Overhead" as the "Major" and "Underfoot" as the "Minor", as the create major and minor activity (I believe among all living things). You will notice that the "Major" or "Overhead" lasts 2 hours and the "Minor" or "Underfoot" lasts 1 hour. If you are a fishermen and don't pay attention to this you're really missing out. I have just started to pay attention to it for hunting the last few years, I believe it holds true to hunting as well. Anyways I hope that all made sense and I hope I didn't give any bad information. This is what I have learned after reading books about it and putting it to use! I have a few more valuable bits of information about this topic if your are interested.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

I'm certainly interested in any other info you have to share too.
Shed Freak

Unread postby Shed Freak » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Some more tid bits that could help you... First I really suggest looking at the website I recommend so this will all make more sense... Google Solunar Forecast,enter the site, find the bar that says, "Get started with your free prediction", and type in your zip code. This will give you all the (major) or "Overhead", (minor) or "Underfoot, sunrise/set, moonrise/set information for the entire month in your geographic location. You will notice that each day has a "rating" going from "average" to "seasons best" The higher ranked days generally fall around the full moon and the new moon. New moon= no moon for those of you who are unaware. Underneath the rating for a specific day the website gives you the option for an explanation as to why each day is ranked as it is. THIS IS VALUBLE INFORMATION, and will cut your learning curve dramatically, so read them. Essentially the top ranked days revolve around a full or a new moon and something else coinciding with the major or minor.

For example, last week during the full moon in my area it was rated "seasons best" (the highest rating) because on top of the full moon, the minor "underfoot" occurred within 30 minutes of the sunset AND within 30 minutes of the moonrise. PAY ATTENTION to times when these things correlate... If this would have been during deer season, you can bet some slobs would have fallen on an evening where all these things lined up...
Shed Freak

Unread postby Shed Freak » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Here's one for ya to think about for a minute... The moon does not rotate around us in a perfect circle, more so an oval. When it does rotate around us, it's orbit is not always the same. Sometimes it's farther away and sometimes it's as close as it's been in centuries (this usually causes super moons) On the days in which it's orbit is closer than normal, say that month or year, it is an absolute lights out time to be on the water. A friend of mine, and one of the best Muskie fishing guides in Minnesota let me in on this secret. He charges extra on these days.... And for good reason, these specific days when the moon is closer to us than normal in the last 4 out of 5 years he has put the biggest fish of the year in his boat. And that 1 year he didn't, it was because he lost it at the boat....

I can't quite remember the website I found that informed me of when those days were( I'll try and find it) but it gave me a few dates for the year and the exact time of day when the moon would be closest in its orbit to my area. I haven't tested this theory in the woods, but I'm am willing to bet there is a correlation between it and the whitetail as well. Sorry for the information overload guys....
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Ir definitely applies to both deer and turkey. Many times I see herds of deer and flocks of turkeys out feeding midday. Quite unusual for some areas. Happens quite often while I'm out driving around doing non hunting chores. I make it back home and check the solunar tables and sure enough,,,,, " major" solunar activity time midday etc Try that next time you are surprised to see deer and other game out feeding at odds times. You will see for yourself.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Shed Freak wrote:Sorry for the information overload guys....

Don't worry about it, I soak this stuff up!
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Great post Octang, I was wondering same!

Great info from replies!

One question, why do the solar lunar forecasts predict Major / Minor activities approx. 6 hours later than the moon overhead / underfoot times?
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
Shed Freak

Unread postby Shed Freak » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:05 pm

SidewayZ wrote:Great post Octang, I was wondering same!

Great info from replies!

One question, why do the solar lunar forecasts predict Major / Minor activities approx. 6 hours later than the moon overhead / underfoot times?

The major each day is moon overhead, and moon underfoot. The minor each day is the moon rise and moon set.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Good to see more believers here. The moon absolutely affects fishing especially a predator fish like musky that have very short feeding windows. I could never understand how some cannot see the affect it also has on deer. It's pretty obvious if you pay attention. On December 28 I saw a bunch of deer feeding in multiple open fields at 11:30 am. Checked the moon charts and they were feeding smack dab in the PEAK of the major period. I use this example just because it was so obvious.

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:50 pm

I agree with Dewey, it seems so obvious to me that I can't understand how/why some guys don't believe it.
I don't follow or believe in the forecasts, but just check the overhead/underfoot times and plan accordingly.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Ol'DanBoone

Unread postby Ol'DanBoone » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:28 am

Mannnnnnn, im glad this got explained. Ive been wonderin what overhead n underfoot meant. What is the best predictor or whatever??? That online thing? So and sos moon chart???
I always thought this was bogus until i saw all these big buck killers use it. I def plan on paying attention to it this coming year.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:03 pm

Ol'DanBoone wrote:Mannnnnnn, im glad this got explained. Ive been wonderin what overhead n underfoot meant. What is the best predictor or whatever??? That online thing? So and sos moon chart???
I always thought this was bogus until i saw all these big buck killers use it. I def plan on paying attention to it this coming year.

Just look up the overhead and underfoot times for your location for the date and expect the urge to feed to hit +/- around that time. No need for predictors in my opinion

Also, if you really want to simplify the moon... new moon phases will always be overhead around noon, first quarter will be overhead around 6 PM, full moon phases will always be overhead around midnight, and last quarter overhead around 6 AM. Precise times depend on your exact location within a time zone. Underfoot times are about 11.5 hrs before/after the overhead times since the moon rises about 50 minutes later everyday (28 day cycle).

I prefer overhead to underfoot all else being equal. I also like the overhead time 1-2 hours before dark for best hunting.
Not all those who wander are lost...
wmahunter
500 Club

Unread postby wmahunter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:31 am

to make it easier to find when the moon is overhead without having to do any calculation. go here.

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/phases/usa/madison

This will give you dates, times and moon phases when the moon will be overhead.

If you are not in or near madison, just plug this in below and it will let you choose another city.

https://www.timeanddate.com/moon/phases/usa/

For moon under foot just substract -12 hrs from the times you see on the calendar.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:53 am

Dewey wrote:Good to see more believers here. The moon absolutely affects fishing especially a predator fish like musky that have very short feeding windows. I could never understand how some cannot see the affect it also has on deer. It's pretty obvious if you pay attention. On December 28 I saw a bunch of deer feeding in multiple open fields at 11:30 am. Checked the moon charts and they were feeding smack dab in the PEAK of the major period. I use this example just because it was so obvious.

Dewey, what app are you using? That looks pretty neat.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”