Prehang a stand on a mature bucks bedding exit?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Prehang a stand on a mature bucks bedding exit?

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:02 am

I know most of the beast hunters are hang and hunt guys. I fully understand the merit of first time hunts, but wonder what folks thoughts would be on going ahead and hanging a couple sets on some bed exits to save noise and make myself a little more stealthy when going in to hunt this fall. These are beds on our private property.

I thought about hanging the sets, clear a few shooting lanes and clear entry exit routes in February. Would I be screwing up by doing this early verses hanging and hunting the same day of hunt?

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Prehang a stand on a mature bucks bedding exit?

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:17 am

If it's on your private land I don't see an issue with it.

I hang and hunt because I hunt public. And don't want my stuff stolen.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:46 am

If you are hanging now to hunt next year? How do you know the buck is still alive that uses the bed? Managing your efforts and maximizing your efforts. Both huge in the long haul. If it's a good well used bed I see no harm in hanging now.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:04 am

Stanley wrote:If you are hanging now to hunt next year? How do you know the buck is still alive that uses the bed? Managing your efforts and maximizing your efforts. Both huge in the long haul. If it's a good well used bed I see no harm in hanging now.

Yes I would be hanging to hunt next fall. I found the bucks sheds at a mineral site a week or two ago, I went back on Monday looking for his beds in the area. I found what I believe to be a couple of his primary beds and also found his sheds from 2015 within 50 yards of the bed.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:12 am

I do it on our private. Even if the buck you are targeting is dead, and the bed is a great buck bed, other bucks will take it over. these are the sets i use the millennium block on, that way the stand is not sitting out there all year.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:20 am

I just bought an xop so that could be an option too. I could set a set of steel climbing sticks and one of there quick connect brackets in a couple different spots. I hadn't really even thought of doing that.
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:26 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:I just bought an xop so that could be an option too. I could set a set of steel climbing sticks and one of there quick connect brackets in a couple different spots. I hadn't really even thought of doing that.

thats what i use as well. i have a few of those on certain buck bedding in hill country and also in the thermal tunnels.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:24 am

Careful with the steel/aluminum sticks. They're loud and might not be the best choice in this your situation. Personally I'd trim several trees for specific winds around that bedding area and use the xop. Trim your lanes and you'll be golden.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:13 am

I could see this working on private land where you can control or manipulate variables into your favor.. Especially in a spot where bucks continue to bed in a specific spot every year. For public there's no way I'd consider it... too many things out of your control i.e. pressure, timber harvests, adjacent land owners and rotating crops...
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”