Joe had an interesting thought...got me to thinking.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mainebowhunter
500 Club

Re: Joe had an interesting thought...got me to thinking.

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:26 am

Its part of the driving force behind the beast...lots of great hunters on here. Lots to be challenged by.

JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:48 am

Yea it is human nature to compare ourselves to others...I've done it in the past and will probably catch myself doing it again in the future. In some things that can drive us to do better. But when it comes to hunting I fight against that urge. Just sucks all the fun out of the chase for me...cuz I guarantee someone, somewhere, is going to kill a bigger one than me next year, or kill one on a more challenging hunt, or something like that. Every single year that is going to happen. That's probably the thing I think about the most when posting pictures and stories...I don't want someone else to look at the fork horn they shot last fall and suddenly be disappointed.

I have said it before but one of the major reasons I love the Beast is big Egos are not much of a problem here. We know we all have different circumstances and sets of priorities. Some will give themselves 1 weekend a year to hunt and that's fine. Some will hang up the gun and bow entirely when they start raising kids. Some will stay single, keep some crappy job, just to spend 80 days hunting every year and I support their right to choose to do that but think they may regret it down the road. Most of us put ourselves between those extremes thankfully.
mainebowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mainebowhunter » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:10 am

JoeRE wrote:Yea it is human nature to compare ourselves to others...I've done it in the past and will probably catch myself doing it again in the future. In some things that can drive us to do better. But when it comes to hunting I fight against that urge. Just sucks all the fun out of the chase for me...cuz I guarantee someone, somewhere, is going to kill a bigger one than me next year, or kill one on a more challenging hunt, or something like that. Every single year that is going to happen. That's probably the thing I think about the most when posting pictures and stories...I don't want someone else to look at the fork horn they shot last fall and suddenly be disappointed.

I have said it before but one of the major reasons I love the Beast is big Egos are not much of a problem here. We know we all have different circumstances and sets of priorities. Some will give themselves 1 weekend a year to hunt and that's fine. Some will hang up the gun and bow entirely when they start raising kids. Some will stay single, keep some crappy job, just to spend 80 days hunting every year and I support their right to choose to do that but think they may regret it down the road. Most of us put ourselves between those extremes thankfully.

Yep. Keeps you grounded.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”