Chasing down a dream...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Schubox1265

Re: Chasing down a dream...

Unread postby Schubox1265 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:59 am

Going to save this for the big screen; at home.

Ironic title, coming right after your truck accident...

Glad you are OK.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:24 am

Great stuff.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:32 am

Awesome video Dan!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:17 am

I enjoyed every minute. Thanks !
rbuckleyjr1
500 Club

Unread postby rbuckleyjr1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:20 am

The ending is hilarious. Great video, thanks for sharing. :clap:
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:50 am

First I will start by saying thanks for posting that video - I was glued to it when I should have been eating lunch instead. haha

I have a lot of questions. :)

How big of a property was it? It was interesting to see how some stand locations looked to only be a few yards apart? Or was it more?

With bouncing around so much, weren't you worried about getting scent all over?

One thing I always struggle with is "hot sign" - you mentioned setting up on that a few times. How do you know if you are too late to the party? If the sign was from yesterday, or even a few hours ago, do you just figure the buck is still in the area and likely to come back, or how do you know that it isn't just from passing through?

When you scout with the stand on your back like that, are you still just walking transition lines all the time looking for that "hot sign"? Even during the rut?

Ok i think that is all for now. I love these kind of tutorial "follow my rut hunting" videos. Way cooler than those "made for TV" hunts. Thanks again!
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:17 am

As always, great video dan. That is the stuff I love to watch. Great for the new hunters and even the older guys seeing just how much work you put into it and how you go about getting it done. Awesome job and congrats on a dandy deer!
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:18 am

Great vid Dan. love this style of videos with the education and big bucks all wrapped in one.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Jeff G
500 Club

Unread postby Jeff G » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:29 am

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Mibowfreak
500 Club

Unread postby Mibowfreak » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:48 am

Great video Dan. Noticed the area was the same as the one in the Swamp Bedding video. Cool to see more hunts from there with knowing how you guys hunt it. Interesting to see that Mario first seen that buck in "section 1" as you guys call it.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:26 am

How big of a property was it?

Im guessing, but would think the section im hunting is probably close to 300 acres. Mario can correct me if im wrong. Its not all that wide, but its a long section.

It was interesting to see how some stand locations looked to only be a few yards apart? Or was it more?

It don't take much of a move to get in the game. Usually the 1st sit is on the transition, then you gotta move in for the kill after you see how the movement works.

Not at all. I travel dry ground where they expect people movment and try to stay on human used trails as much as possible. Movement inside the swamp are more precise. Deer never know where im at, and never pattern me.

One thing I always struggle with is "hot sign" - you mentioned setting up on that a few times. How do you know if you are too late to the party? If the sign was from yesterday, or even a few hours ago, do you just figure the buck is still in the area and likely to come back, or how do you know that it isn't just from passing through?
Sometimes in rut bucks just pass thru, but often they are on a pattern, yea the pattern will change every few days, but you find a fresh rub and it is in an area you expect daylight movement you sit it... You can't be afraid to fail. If you look at all the spots I sat, it would have been tough to not know where the deer were, The other guy hunting that zone drew September, october, and november, and gun, and muzzle loader. I hunted 3 weeks and seen lots of shooter bucks. He seen one. The difference was he was hunting in the woods instead of the swamp, and hunting the same stands over and over. He saw more deer than me per sit, but all dinks.

When you scout with the stand on your back like that, are you still just walking transition lines all the time looking for that "hot sign"? Even during the rut?
Yes... Often I have a place in mind, but like when I ran into the buck with the doe at the rub, im walking a wrought that has me scouting to get there. Some times I make my destination, often I run across something before I do...
AAAK

Unread postby AAAK » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:35 am

Great video hilarious ending
mibowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby mibowhunter » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:49 am

dan wrote:How big of a property was it?

Im guessing, but would think the section im hunting is probably close to 300 acres. Mario can correct me if im wrong. Its not all that wide, but its a long section.

It was interesting to see how some stand locations looked to only be a few yards apart? Or was it more?

It don't take much of a move to get in the game. Usually the 1st sit is on the transition, then you gotta move in for the kill after you see how the movement works.

Not at all. I travel dry ground where they expect people movment and try to stay on human used trails as much as possible. Movement inside the swamp are more precise. Deer never know where im at, and never pattern me.

Sometimes in rut bucks just pass thru, but often they are on a pattern, yea the pattern will change every few days, but you find a fresh rub and it is in an area you expect daylight movement you sit it... You can't be afraid to fail. If you look at all the spots I sat, it would have been tough to not know where the deer were, The other guy hunting that zone drew September, october, and november, and gun, and muzzle loader. I hunted 3 weeks and seen lots of shooter bucks. He seen one. The difference was he was hunting in the woods instead of the swamp, and hunting the same stands over and over. He saw more deer than me per sit, but all dinks.

Yes... Often I have a place in mind, but like when I ran into the buck with the doe at the rub, im walking a wrought that has me scouting to get there. Some times I make my destination, often I run across something before I do...

These answers are tremendous, thank you! You actually made me have an "ahhh" moment with how you travel dry ground where they expect people movement and then dive in. This actually got my gears grinding on an area that I could easily do an observation sit and then dive in... I'm going to bookmark this. :)
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:22 pm

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”